• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Control tower's midair joke leads to landing miscue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not really. Short legs means extra landings for that crew. On the 777, most of the trips have ultra long legs with 4 pilots total (over 12 hours), and only two of them get landings. If you don't get 3 landings in 90 days, you have to go to the sim to get current. That's not always fun. So, guys needing landings pick up those types of trips, along with guys filling gaps in their schedules.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Somehow this is going to offend about 50 members here and hijack the thread into an "I hate GL" fest.

A - I'll cuss however I want:)
B - who said I wasn't praying
And C) that was the least offensive and least debatable GL quote maybe ever.

It was a funny line that got GL going, but he's right- if I did 777 type flights all year long I'd love to grab a quick domestic leg now and then for exactly the reasons he said.

I like all the ATL controllers but there is this one guy that seems to work Ground a lot that is a total doosh. If you don't read back what his clearance is word for word he gets annoyed and then repeats the clearance in hopes that you will read it back, in his mind, correctly. It causes issues every time I've heard him on position.

RV

I know (not personally) the controller you're referring to. I think he does that so your reply is correct on ATC tapes. Really not that big of a deal. I've heard pilots go a few rounds trying to do it their way but they always give in and reply correctly, especially active runway holds/crossings. There is nothing wrong with that controller requiring a pilot to transmit the correct read back as the ATC tapes either save your bacon or you get violated.

I know (not personally) the controller you're referring to. I think he does that so your reply is correct on ATC tapes. Really not that big of a deal. I've heard pilots go a few rounds trying to do it their way but they always give in and reply correctly, especially active runway holds/crossings. There is nothing wrong with that controller requiring a pilot to transmit the correct read back as the ATC tapes either save your bacon or you get violated.

He's a total D-bag. There's a difference between getting the clearance right and berating you for accidentally being off by a number on your call sign. The guy has zero tact, and when he's wrong himself he never admits it. I screw with him on purpose every chance I get. Childish? Of course, but I get a good chuckle out of it.

After thirteen years of operating into ATL, I'd be inclined to give everyone a break here. The ATL controllers are among the best of the best, and I hope this is treated gently. You can bet it won't happen again.

As a side note, im glad controllers are riding along again, the twelve year ban on observation flights means there is a whole generation of controllers who don't know how flight decks operate.

I completely agree. ATC fam flights need to be done on a regualar basis. I've only had one on board ever.

A delta guy with a stick up his arse?? Imagine that:)

While I would be the first to agree with general Delta pilot ******************************baggery, I think you're way off this time. There was plenty of time to punch the TOGA button in that pause...and once you hit that, I'm thinking continuing a go around is probably what most guys would do.

Latest resources

Back