Control tower's midair joke leads to landing miscue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yep, you guys are right

Not delta's fault hearing the whole thing- I think I'd have still questioned it, but the controller paused too long and they do sound like they were blocking each other

Now the media coverage is still pretty damn ridiculous- "scary" good lord- it's just a go around

Last edited:
After thirteen years of operating into ATL, I'd be inclined to give everyone a break here. The ATL controllers are among the best of the best, and I hope this is treated gently. You can bet it won't happen again.

As a side note, im glad controllers are riding along again, the twelve year ban on observation flights means there is a whole generation of controllers who don't know how flight decks operate.

Last edited:
I'd be annoyed if I could hold 777 for Delta and had to fly DTW-ATL too.

Not really. Short legs means extra landings for that crew. On the 777, most of the trips have ultra long legs with 4 pilots total (over 12 hours), and only two of them get landings. If you don't get 3 landings in 90 days, you have to go to the sim to get current. That's not always fun. So, guys needing landings pick up those types of trips, along with guys filling gaps in their schedules.

Bye Bye---General Lee

A few phrases you never say unless it's real: you're on fire, bailout, and go around.

The ATC dude needs a week off without pay.

Not really. Short legs means extra landings for that crew. On the 777, most of the trips have ultra long legs with 4 pilots total (over 12 hours), and only two of them get landings. If you don't get 3 landings in 90 days, you have to go to the sim to get current. That's not always fun. So, guys needing landings pick up those types of trips, along with guys filling gaps in their schedules.

Bye Bye---General Lee

How many landings you need in 90 days with that desk of yours?

Latest resources

Back