• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Control tower's midair joke leads to landing miscue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why does tower care they don't have a gate, and why are they having this conversation on short final?

Really?

It's NOT delta with a stick up their arse??

You sure?

Bc the media cut off and did not emphasize the delta pilot's previous comments about not having a gate so atc might want to figure out where they were going to park- then ATC said go around, and pretty quickly said he was kidding you got all the room in the world buddy... Then captain serious actually went around.

Sounds like a pretty moronic and expensive and more importantly, ROTE UNTHINKING NO PERSONALITY thing to do so immediately- we're talking 3 seconds here between the controller saying that and the I'm kidding.

Anyone with a personality would know the controller was kidding if there was no other reason to anticipate a go around.

IMO, I'd like to here the FULL audio so we can get the whole thing in context.

Sounds like the captain was an idiot and on a news day when media doesn't want to talk about the billions we wasted in Iraq, they're blowing it up and that controller is going to get some political time off- rather undeserved

Maybe I'm wrong- but I'd like a listen of the whole tape and haven't found it on liveleak yet

Really?

You sure?

Bc the media cut off and did not emphasize the delta pilot's previous comments about not having a gate so atc might want to figure out where they were going to park- then ATC said go around, and pretty quickly said he was kidding you got all the room in the world buddy... Then captain serious actually went around.

Sounds like a pretty moronic and expensive and more importantly, ROTE UNTHINKING NO PERSONALITY thing to do so immediately- we're talking 3 seconds here between the controller saying that and the I'm kidding.

Anyone with a personality would know the controller was kidding if there was no other reason to anticipate a go around.

Sounds like the captain was an idiot and on a news day when media doesn't want to talk about the billions we wasted in Iraq, they're blowing it up and that controller is going to get some political time off- rather undeserved

Maybe I'm wrong- but I'd like a listen of the whole tape and haven't found it on liveleak yet

It was last Wed and if you know the time it happened you can retrieve the audio here.
http://www.liveatc.net/archive.php?m=katl_twr

Really?

You sure?

The location of the stick is now obvious.

I'd be annoyed if I could hold 777 for Delta and had to fly DTW-ATL too.

Whelp, that was an odd exchange.

I'm not sure I'd be bothering tower about my lack of an arrival gate - "Mind if we roll it to the end?" I believe would have better expressed their desire. Nonetheless, the controller curtly said "Delta 630, go-around" in what sounded like a slightly perturbed voice - it was not, "Hehe, well then Delta, maybe you better go around then!" The controller may have been perturbed by 630 involving him with the gate issue. Perhaps the pilot thought the controller sounded perturbed because another controller or pilot dropped the ball and entered the active without coordination. Further, it sounded like the "I'm kidding" was stepped on by Delta likely the PM acknowledging "go around" and thus the PF probably never even heard the later half of it.

I chuckled when the tower said, "Delta 630 go-around" but we have the luxury of hindsight on this one, knowing it was implied as a joke. I can't say with certainty that I would have picked up on it in the moment - once that TOGA button is mashed, you're pretty well committed.

From the video it seems the "i'm kidding" part may have been blocked in the Delta Flight Deck.

The Tower un-keyed his mike. I think "Delta going-around" and the "i'm kidding" came out at the same time. Delta un-keyed, and probably was in the middle of his go-around call outs and just heard some random stuff about turning off at the end. If the audio and video is synched, he was starting his go-around long before the "i'm kidding" came out.

I can't see an airline crew alerting the media. The most they would have done is fill out an ASAP. How much you want to bet if the guy that got this on tape wasn't filming, we wouldn't be talking about it right now.

The joke was a bad idea, sure. Worse than falling asleep in the tower! Pu-leaze.

Latest resources

Back