• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Continental Airlines Chooses Not to Merge

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It really is true, I just went onto coair to make sure. Best news i've heard in a long time. Sorry Tilton, looks like you've got to wait a little longer to get your (even more) millions! Oh yeah, hedge funds, go fukk yourselves!!!

It really is true, I just went onto coair to make sure. Best news i've heard in a long time. Sorry Tilton, looks like you've got to wait a little longer to get your (even more) millions! Oh yeah, hedge funds, go fukk yourselves!!!

Look like we need plan B to get rid of a completely inept upper management.

Good luck y'all.

So should we expect Airways and United to announce something within the next few weeks? Perhaps in some form of poetic justice the East guys will get what they have coming after all.

Hope it all works out for CAL. It is looking like a close working relationship with AAL and British Airways in the OneWorld Alliance for Continental.

Last edited:
Oh I sure don't. They have to make a decision, boot crap management, buy planes, or merge with a chunk of cash. They have excellent options, but they MUST make a move.

I think United is toast.

Agreed. And this was the right choice for CAL given the latest earnings report from UAL.

"United's shares tumbled 37 percent on April 22 after the airline reported a first-quarter loss wider than analysts expected and some investors questioned whether the carrier had sufficient cash to meet loan covenants. United, which said the concerns were unfounded, is cutting 1,100 jobs and further reducing capacity after the loss of $537 million.

Continental, which had a first-quarter loss of $80 million, said on April 17 it would ground 14 older, less fuel-efficient aircraft on top of 34 it already planned to stop flying and would trim capacity by an undetermined amount at its regional airline partners."

CAL and AMR are going to just fight for the pieces of United. That's the alliance they're talking about. AMR needs "new" narrowbodies, CAL needs widebodies, desperately.

Of course they don't want to merge. The hot red head(aka NW) at the bar already went home with someone else.

I think United is toast.

LOL. This is funny. We may be toast. Maybe not. Either way is fine with me. But this sounds like 03 all over again. Many assume CAL doesn't want to merge because of UALs books. It could be that they didn't want to merge under the terms presented. But hey, UAL might suck but you CAL guys don't walk around acting like you're SWA, FDX, and UPS rolled into one now. The whole industry sucks. That would include your place too. Good luck and congrats on having management that has wanted to run an airline for the past few.

Latest resources

Back