Continental 737 or 757-pros/cons

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Heavy Set said:
As a 737 pilot for CAL, how do you like flying all of the different 737s - 300, 500, 700, 800 and 900? Any preferences?

Good question. I upgraded onto the 737 six years ago. Coming from widebody FO initially it was a shock. Nothing compares to the DC-10-30. Learning all types is a pain but once you get the hang of it it's no big deal.

Honestly I like the 800/900 because it pays more (same pay as 757) and it flys the best (similar to B727) and has better trips. Lots of transcons and Caribbean and Central and South America.

Our fleet break down is approximately
12 900's
90 plus 800's (and growing only taking 800 deliveries)
36 700's
55-60 300's (all round dials)
65 500's

Overall 737 has lots of flexibility. Some super senior types stay on because of quality of life. I can now hold reserve CA on the B756 but bidding 50% on the B737 I'm staying here for a couple more years.

Something to consider when PBS comes into effect sometime in mid to late 06 there will be major changes to our bidding and trip trade system. Right now a bottom line holder can turn a 12 day off line into 15 plus days off.

Some more info.

EWR has 67% of the pilots commute so if your a local like me and don't mind early starts and late finishes you can do much better in trip quality and days off. Because of the way the flying flows, EWR has a lot of early starts and late finishes VS IAH which has much more mid day start/finishes.

EWR B756 is mostly Europe International and thus has many late starts and mid afternoon finishes. Much more commutable than 737 but less productive.

IAH is more senior than EWR on all aircraft types.

Hope this info helps.

CAL EWR B737 said:
Nothing compares to the DC-10-30.
Not to change the subject, but I have always been intrigued by the DC10s. What makes the DC10-30 so incomparable?

The most junior position on this last bid was a 756 FO to IAH. Don't think the old assumptions are going to hold true as far as how bad relative seniority would be on the 756 since they are hiring 24 a month directly into the 756. As far as dead heading pay, who cares as a new hire since you'll be getting min guarantee anyway on reserve. By the time it matters it will be a non-issue since in goes back to 75% Jul '06, and 100% Jul '07.

With 24 new hires a month going into the 756, that may be proportionally more than the 40 a month going into the 737 since there are a lot fewer 756 FO's than 737 FO's.

My sim partner is from CLE. He just finished IOE and got CLE based for next month. Things are moving fast...

Fly

Pig said:
The most junior position on this last bid was a 756 FO to IAH. Don't think the old assumptions are going to hold true as far as how bad relative seniority would be on the 756 since they are hiring 24 a month directly into the 756. As far as dead heading pay, who cares as a new hire since you'll be getting min guarantee anyway on reserve. By the time it matters it will be a non-issue since in goes back to 75% Jul '06, and 100% Jul '07.

With 24 new hires a month going into the 756, that may be proportionally more than the 40 a month going into the 737 since there are a lot fewer 756 FO's than 737 FO's.

Sorry don't buy your assumptions. The most recent system bid has 503 NYC B756 FO's VS 456 NYC B737 FO's. There is a lot of IRO flying in EWR. IAH has 583 737 VS 241 756 however due to IAH being far more senior than EWR a new hire will be very very junior on the 756 in IAH for quite some time and somewhat junior on the 737 (especially compared to EWR) .

Yes, DH doesn't matter on probation but that is very short sighted. On the 737 one would be a line holder in a couple of months getting between 80 and 90 hours of pay Vs 76 or 72 on reserve. If one on the 737 didn't care about money as first year pay is terrible he/she could bid for quality of life and get 18 days off for 76 pay hours of pay VS 12 days off on reserve. Also I wouldn't count on flying to many legs on the 756, and thanks to the rocket scientist at CALALPA a junior B756 FO could look forward to much dead heading and resting in a coach seat.

If you lived near base and don't mind reserve than the B756 could be a good deal in the non summer months. By the way for those that don't know the B756 at Continental is our 757/767 sub base.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back