Continental 737 or 757-pros/cons

Powda5

Well-known member
Joined
May 20, 2005
Posts
110
Total Time
6000
Anyone in class or on the property care to share their thoughts on the trips/commutability/preference of the 737 or 757 if given the choice?
 

COpilot

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 5, 2002
Posts
410
Total Time
12,000
Well I can tell you short and to the point, I think will help.

EWR Based,

The B737 fleet; you will be on reserve for a shorter amount of time. At present rate, Approx (guess) 12months.

The B756 fleet; could be in the years range, maybe two depending on the B73 F/O's who are looking at the Intl flying, and wanting to move over for the pay. But hard to say with the new contract DH pay?

That said the big difference in the two sub-bases is the type of paring development. For the last say 8 years the B756 fleet has been great to commute with, the nature of the flying is late check-ins, afternoon get backs.

The EWR B73 fleet though, (yuck!) early shows, late get backs, probably 80% of the bid package. I suspect that might change some with PBS, but the jury is still out on that.

I'm sorry I don't have any experence with the Reserve Ops under the new contract. Their still working out the bugs I guess. In theory it should be a better deal than the old system. I suspect you will have to look at it as with any airline, your balance of quality of life issues to size of your airplane quest.
 

Heavy Set

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 28, 2002
Posts
2,277
Total Time
15,000
COpilot said:
Well I can tell you short and to the point, I think will help.

EWR Based,

The B737 fleet; you will be on reserve for a shorter amount of time. At present rate, Approx (guess) 12months.

The B756 fleet; could be in the years range, maybe two depending on the B73 F/O's who are looking at the Intl flying, and wanting to move over for the pay. But hard to say with the new contract DH pay?

That said the big difference in the two sub-bases is the type of paring development. For the last say 8 years the B756 fleet has been great to commute with, the nature of the flying is late check-ins, afternoon get backs.

The EWR B73 fleet though, (yuck!) early shows, late get backs, probably 80% of the bid package. I suspect that might change some with PBS, but the jury is still out on that.

I'm sorry I don't have any experence with the Reserve Ops under the new contract. Their still working out the bugs I guess. In theory it should be a better deal than the old system. I suspect you will have to look at it as with any airline, your balance of quality of life issues to size of your airplane quest.

Great response. I would say that if you already have 737 experience, then maybe you should bid that. Personally, I'd go for the 756 and fly international even with the longer reserve period - but that's just my preference - a set schedule sooner might be your preference. Let us know what you get.
 

RichardFitzwell

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 28, 2001
Posts
347
Total Time
7500
There's more deadheading in the 75 than the 73. Currently DH is paid at 50% of normal flight pay. This rate was negotiated as a result of our recent concessionary contract. I think this may be one of the biggest cons for the 75. The pay will go to 75% in July '06 and will return to full pay in July '07.

Also, IRO's are no longer assured a seat in First and must get their manditory rest in the comforts of coach class. :rolleyes:
 

pkober

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 9, 2004
Posts
1,101
Total Time
109480
You are seat locked for two years, unless you bid up. In other words if you are on the 756 you can't go down to the 737 for two years. However if you are on the 737 you can go up to the 756 anytime during those two years. That was one of the reasons I chose the 737 over the 756. I am also hoping to get a line sooner since I am a commuter.

Good Luck

CLAMBAKE
 

Ualexpress

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2002
Posts
118
Total Time
13,000
Do FOs get a type rating in the airplane they are training on? What is the most junior 737 captain at CAL right now as far as hire date is concerned? Thanks!
 

RichardFitzwell

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 28, 2001
Posts
347
Total Time
7500
Yes, all FO's are typed. The most junior captain on the recent bid was hired in March 1998 and is based in EWR on the B737.
 

Powda5

Well-known member
Joined
May 20, 2005
Posts
110
Total Time
6000
Tks for all the responses...is there a typical amount of days off between trips for either fleet? I am guessing the 756 has more days off in a row than the 737... just asking for commutability. And as a junior lineholder on the 737, how many days off would be expected? Thanks!
 

CAL EWR B737

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 10, 2005
Posts
652
Total Time
15,000
My two cents. All though the B757/B767 is a better aircraft for numerous reasons, many already stated, go to the 737 if you have a choice. Because of our weak contract the B757/B767 has been domesticated. It's even worse for FO's. Over the summer they built 100 hour lines with twelve days off that paid 72 hours. If your below 50% on the aircraft as an FO plan on plenty or DH to Europe (50% pay) and IRO home (crew resting in a coach seat). Probably will get very few legs as FO vs IRO. Reserve will probably go more senior to bottom lines. Plan on a minimum of a year on reserve. Right now new hires in the B737 line holders in three months.

Hope this helps?

Junior line holder on 737 12 to 16 days off. Even if you get a 12 day off line you can trip trade it into 14 or 15 until PBS comes next summer.
 

Heavy Set

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 28, 2002
Posts
2,277
Total Time
15,000
CAL EWR B737 said:
My two cents. All though the B757/B767 is a better aircraft for numerous reasons, many already stated, go to the 737 if you have a choice. Because of our weak contract the B757/B767 has been domesticated. It's even worse for FO's. Over the summer they built 100 hour lines with twelve days off that paid 72 hours. If your below 50% on the aircraft as an FO plan on plenty or DH to Europe (50% pay) and IRO home (crew resting in a coach seat). Probably will get very few legs as FO vs IRO. Reserve will probably go more senior to bottom lines. Plan on a minimum of a year on reserve. Right now new hires in the B737 line holders in three months.

Hope this helps?

Junior line holder on 737 12 to 16 days off. Even if you get a 12 day off line you can trip trade it into 14 or 15 until PBS comes next summer.

As a 737 pilot for CAL, how do you like flying all of the different 737s - 300, 500, 700, 800 and 900? Any preferences?
 

CAL EWR B737

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 10, 2005
Posts
652
Total Time
15,000
Heavy Set said:
As a 737 pilot for CAL, how do you like flying all of the different 737s - 300, 500, 700, 800 and 900? Any preferences?


Good question. I upgraded onto the 737 six years ago. Coming from widebody FO initially it was a shock. Nothing compares to the DC-10-30. Learning all types is a pain but once you get the hang of it it's no big deal.

Honestly I like the 800/900 because it pays more (same pay as 757) and it flys the best (similar to B727) and has better trips. Lots of transcons and Caribbean and Central and South America.

Our fleet break down is approximately
12 900's
90 plus 800's (and growing only taking 800 deliveries)
36 700's
55-60 300's (all round dials)
65 500's

Overall 737 has lots of flexibility. Some super senior types stay on because of quality of life. I can now hold reserve CA on the B756 but bidding 50% on the B737 I'm staying here for a couple more years.

Something to consider when PBS comes into effect sometime in mid to late 06 there will be major changes to our bidding and trip trade system. Right now a bottom line holder can turn a 12 day off line into 15 plus days off.
 

CAL EWR B737

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 10, 2005
Posts
652
Total Time
15,000
Some more info.

EWR has 67% of the pilots commute so if your a local like me and don't mind early starts and late finishes you can do much better in trip quality and days off. Because of the way the flying flows, EWR has a lot of early starts and late finishes VS IAH which has much more mid day start/finishes.

EWR B756 is mostly Europe International and thus has many late starts and mid afternoon finishes. Much more commutable than 737 but less productive.

IAH is more senior than EWR on all aircraft types.

Hope this info helps.
 

sat74

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 20, 2001
Posts
365
Total Time
enough
CAL EWR B737 said:
Nothing compares to the DC-10-30.
Not to change the subject, but I have always been intrigued by the DC10s. What makes the DC10-30 so incomparable?
 

SOVT

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 14, 2003
Posts
107
Total Time
11,000
A guy in the 08/02/05 class was awarded IAH 756 on the last bid.
 

Pig

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 24, 2002
Posts
74
Total Time
3000
The most junior position on this last bid was a 756 FO to IAH. Don't think the old assumptions are going to hold true as far as how bad relative seniority would be on the 756 since they are hiring 24 a month directly into the 756. As far as dead heading pay, who cares as a new hire since you'll be getting min guarantee anyway on reserve. By the time it matters it will be a non-issue since in goes back to 75% Jul '06, and 100% Jul '07.

With 24 new hires a month going into the 756, that may be proportionally more than the 40 a month going into the 737 since there are a lot fewer 756 FO's than 737 FO's.
 

MJG

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 2, 2003
Posts
580
Total Time
7000+
CAL EWR B737 said:
IAH is more senior than EWR on all aircraft types.

And then there's CLE, what's the story there??? Very senior 737 or what???
 

Flyforyou

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 3, 2004
Posts
137
Total Time
10000+
My sim partner is from CLE. He just finished IOE and got CLE based for next month. Things are moving fast...

Fly
 

CAL EWR B737

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 10, 2005
Posts
652
Total Time
15,000
Pig said:
The most junior position on this last bid was a 756 FO to IAH. Don't think the old assumptions are going to hold true as far as how bad relative seniority would be on the 756 since they are hiring 24 a month directly into the 756. As far as dead heading pay, who cares as a new hire since you'll be getting min guarantee anyway on reserve. By the time it matters it will be a non-issue since in goes back to 75% Jul '06, and 100% Jul '07.

With 24 new hires a month going into the 756, that may be proportionally more than the 40 a month going into the 737 since there are a lot fewer 756 FO's than 737 FO's.

Sorry don't buy your assumptions. The most recent system bid has 503 NYC B756 FO's VS 456 NYC B737 FO's. There is a lot of IRO flying in EWR. IAH has 583 737 VS 241 756 however due to IAH being far more senior than EWR a new hire will be very very junior on the 756 in IAH for quite some time and somewhat junior on the 737 (especially compared to EWR) .

Yes, DH doesn't matter on probation but that is very short sighted. On the 737 one would be a line holder in a couple of months getting between 80 and 90 hours of pay Vs 76 or 72 on reserve. If one on the 737 didn't care about money as first year pay is terrible he/she could bid for quality of life and get 18 days off for 76 pay hours of pay VS 12 days off on reserve. Also I wouldn't count on flying to many legs on the 756, and thanks to the rocket scientist at CALALPA a junior B756 FO could look forward to much dead heading and resting in a coach seat.

If you lived near base and don't mind reserve than the B756 could be a good deal in the non summer months. By the way for those that don't know the B756 at Continental is our 757/767 sub base.
 
Last edited:
Top