• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Continental 737 or 757-pros/cons

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One additional point and it's a significant one. Once on the 756 there will be a tremendous amount of leap frogging. Many are going to bid onto the airplane in front of many of the new hires. I foresee a lot of 737 FO's bidding onto the 756 once they can hold it above the 50% mark insuring they hold mostly 767 and avoiding much of the IRO flying. I would image this would be quite frustrating to a junior 756 FO. Especially since they can't bid down to 737 FO for two years however a 737FO can always bid up to a B756 FO (no freeze bidding up to larger aircraft),

That is a very good point. If I had been offered the 756 as a new hire I would have jumped. But now that I am on the 737, I will bid the 756 at 40% and enjoy being a lineholder on the 73. I do wonder how much all this QOL stuff will change when PBS comes on line.

These are all good points. Also keep in mind that there are some of us out there who may bid equipment by schedule as well. So not everyone wants to do long haul, overseas flying. Those folks would stay on the 737 in order to avoid this. Some people want to stay domestic only. Some want to fly COD's and be home every nite, etc.. So just bid what you want, I have flown 75 for the last 2 yrs, that's why I bid it.

With respect to 756 reserve, would a deadheading FO to be used as an IRO on the return flight from Europe be given the 20-some hour overnight in Europe like the normal crew receives, or would the deadheading FO basically turn right around and fly back??

Also, how does CAL set up reserve blocks?? 4 on 3 off?? 5 on 2 off?? 6 on 1 off?? or combinations??

I am a new hire 756 reserve pilot sitting in Berlin on an IRO trip as I write this. The schedules are never less than 2 off. most have two blocks of 4 and two blocks of 2 off. The IRO trips have, for the most part, the same duty and layover times as the FO trips, they just work more trips due to the 50% pay for dead head.

Latest resources

Back