Continental 737 or 757-pros/cons

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Powda5

Anyone in class or on the property care to share their thoughts on the trips/commutability/preference of the 737 or 757 if given the choice?

Well I can tell you short and to the point, I think will help.

EWR Based,

The B737 fleet; you will be on reserve for a shorter amount of time. At present rate, Approx (guess) 12months.

The B756 fleet; could be in the years range, maybe two depending on the B73 F/O's who are looking at the Intl flying, and wanting to move over for the pay. But hard to say with the new contract DH pay?

That said the big difference in the two sub-bases is the type of paring development. For the last say 8 years the B756 fleet has been great to commute with, the nature of the flying is late check-ins, afternoon get backs.

The EWR B73 fleet though, (yuck!) early shows, late get backs, probably 80% of the bid package. I suspect that might change some with PBS, but the jury is still out on that.

I'm sorry I don't have any experence with the Reserve Ops under the new contract. Their still working out the bugs I guess. In theory it should be a better deal than the old system. I suspect you will have to look at it as with any airline, your balance of quality of life issues to size of your airplane quest.

COpilot said:
Well I can tell you short and to the point, I think will help.

EWR Based,

The B737 fleet; you will be on reserve for a shorter amount of time. At present rate, Approx (guess) 12months.

The B756 fleet; could be in the years range, maybe two depending on the B73 F/O's who are looking at the Intl flying, and wanting to move over for the pay. But hard to say with the new contract DH pay?

That said the big difference in the two sub-bases is the type of paring development. For the last say 8 years the B756 fleet has been great to commute with, the nature of the flying is late check-ins, afternoon get backs.

The EWR B73 fleet though, (yuck!) early shows, late get backs, probably 80% of the bid package. I suspect that might change some with PBS, but the jury is still out on that.

I'm sorry I don't have any experence with the Reserve Ops under the new contract. Their still working out the bugs I guess. In theory it should be a better deal than the old system. I suspect you will have to look at it as with any airline, your balance of quality of life issues to size of your airplane quest.

Great response. I would say that if you already have 737 experience, then maybe you should bid that. Personally, I'd go for the 756 and fly international even with the longer reserve period - but that's just my preference - a set schedule sooner might be your preference. Let us know what you get.

There's more deadheading in the 75 than the 73. Currently DH is paid at 50% of normal flight pay. This rate was negotiated as a result of our recent concessionary contract. I think this may be one of the biggest cons for the 75. The pay will go to 75% in July '06 and will return to full pay in July '07.

Also, IRO's are no longer assured a seat in First and must get their manditory rest in the comforts of coach class. :rolleyes:

You are seat locked for two years, unless you bid up. In other words if you are on the 756 you can't go down to the 737 for two years. However if you are on the 737 you can go up to the 756 anytime during those two years. That was one of the reasons I chose the 737 over the 756. I am also hoping to get a line sooner since I am a commuter.

Good Luck

CLAMBAKE

Do FOs get a type rating in the airplane they are training on? What is the most junior 737 captain at CAL right now as far as hire date is concerned? Thanks!

Yes, all FO's are typed. The most junior captain on the recent bid was hired in March 1998 and is based in EWR on the B737.

Tks for all the responses...is there a typical amount of days off between trips for either fleet? I am guessing the 756 has more days off in a row than the 737... just asking for commutability. And as a junior lineholder on the 737, how many days off would be expected? Thanks!

My two cents. All though the B757/B767 is a better aircraft for numerous reasons, many already stated, go to the 737 if you have a choice. Because of our weak contract the B757/B767 has been domesticated. It's even worse for FO's. Over the summer they built 100 hour lines with twelve days off that paid 72 hours. If your below 50% on the aircraft as an FO plan on plenty or DH to Europe (50% pay) and IRO home (crew resting in a coach seat). Probably will get very few legs as FO vs IRO. Reserve will probably go more senior to bottom lines. Plan on a minimum of a year on reserve. Right now new hires in the B737 line holders in three months.

Hope this helps?

Junior line holder on 737 12 to 16 days off. Even if you get a 12 day off line you can trip trade it into 14 or 15 until PBS comes next summer.

CAL EWR B737 said:
My two cents. All though the B757/B767 is a better aircraft for numerous reasons, many already stated, go to the 737 if you have a choice. Because of our weak contract the B757/B767 has been domesticated. It's even worse for FO's. Over the summer they built 100 hour lines with twelve days off that paid 72 hours. If your below 50% on the aircraft as an FO plan on plenty or DH to Europe (50% pay) and IRO home (crew resting in a coach seat). Probably will get very few legs as FO vs IRO. Reserve will probably go more senior to bottom lines. Plan on a minimum of a year on reserve. Right now new hires in the B737 line holders in three months.

Hope this helps?

Junior line holder on 737 12 to 16 days off. Even if you get a 12 day off line you can trip trade it into 14 or 15 until PBS comes next summer.

As a 737 pilot for CAL, how do you like flying all of the different 737s - 300, 500, 700, 800 and 900? Any preferences?

Latest resources

Back