Continental 737 or 757-pros/cons

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Back to the original question...

Just to add, I was hired mid-September for the 737 EWR. Did ONE month of reserve (after IOE), had a conversion line the second month, and have held hard lines for the last two months. Not bad, with 13-15 days off, but the great trip-trade policy that was previously mentioned.

The 757 guys that were a class or two behind me (just speaking of my ATA bro's) had a couple extra months of reserve and are getting conversion lines now, and will probably have hard lines in a couple months. I bid the 756 at 70% and was awarded it, so I'm hoping my QOL will still be decent after my first year is up. Living in base helps!

So far, has been a great place to work.

RichardFitzwell said:
.....Also, IRO's are no longer assured a seat in First and must get their manditory rest in the comforts of coach class. :rolleyes:

This is a common misconception.

Unlike the typical use for a 73 crew, the crew rest seating is for the entire crew. On the long haul flights the IRO spends as much time in the cockpit as the CA and FO. And conversely all three crewmembers spend an equal time in "crew rest" seating.

What about the merger rumors and how would that affect a new Hire's QOL?

Merger Rumors at the airlines? The only credible rumor I have heard was that JetBlue was going to buy Vigrin America but they were going to farm out all the flying to Chautauqua using the new Pilatus aircraft because they wanted to expand into different markets that the Airbus can't reach. The rippling effect of this would cause the new hires at CAL to be stapled to the bottom of the Naked Hindu Warrior Monks list. I heard they would be promised an upgrade in 144 years after the planets realign themselves.

Of course that's only if the age 60 rule doesn't change. :nuts:

Last edited:
I just saw that on the alpa website.

Latest resources

Back