Continental 737 or 757-pros/cons

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
venr122 said:
That is a very good point. If I had been offered the 756 as a new hire I would have jumped. But now that I am on the 737, I will bid the 756 at 40% and enjoy being a lineholder on the 73. I do wonder how much all this QOL stuff will change when PBS comes on line.

Quality of life will decrease for those junior after PBS. If your fairly senior It will probably be a good deal. We currently have the best open time trip trade policy in the business. As a junior line holder you can dump 100% of your trips, increase you pay and days off significantly.

Howevery thanks to our weak spineless union leadership that will soon be gone forever. They were too busy making sure they kept their full time flight pay loss policy in effect. Our full time union staff averaged 30K to 70K more than their counterparts on the line. ALPA National just came out with a internal investigation report that shows CAL ALPA's vagrant violiation of ALPA's policy. Now they are going to have to repay what they have stolen from the membership and ALPA

The only good part is now most of them will be recalled and they can enjoy the POS contract they negotiated including our new lovely PBS system.

COD's are also called 'standups' and 'high-speeds'

Curious, does CAL do these? I thought at least one poster was indicating that CAL does.

I used PBS at TWA and I got about 90% of what I wanted, even as a junior pilot. When we went to AA's old paper bids I got about 10% of what I wanted.

Being new I can't address the open time issue.

Having used PBS it is awesome.

CLAMBAKE

Sam Snead said:
COD's are also called 'standups' and 'high-speeds'

Curious, does CAL do these? I thought at least one poster was indicating that CAL does.

NO, the other poster is a new hire. We have no COD's at CAL that I have ever seen. Maybe on a rare occasion due to wx. mx or some operational problem. COD's are not normal business at CAL.

pkober said:
I used PBS at TWA and I got about 90% of what I wanted, even as a junior pilot. When we went to AA's old paper bids I got about 10% of what I wanted.

Being new I can't address the open time issue.

Having used PBS it is awesome.

CLAMBAKE

Our current bid system/trip trade open time etc. is light years ahead of any other airline traditional paper bidding system. PBS for CAL will make us even more efficient which yields less pilots. It will further reduce our pay. Current system many line holders get paid 1050 to 1150 pay hours per year. Gone with PBS reduces most conflicts. Junior pilots will lose significant scheduling flexibility and pay with PBS at CAL that is a fact.

Our weak union offered if up PBS with concessions without even the company ever asking for it. The vast majority of our pilot group as verified by the Wilson Polling Group loves and wants to keep our current system even if it meant more reduction of pay rates to keep it. I'm not going to get into all our dirty ALPA business on this board, but needless to say I used to be a key ALPA insider and committee member until our current Scab MEC leadership was put into office.

CAL is a great company. The best news of my 18 1/2 year career at CAL is the significant hiring and retirements over the next five to 10 years. The make up of our pilot group is going to be significantly stronger and much more unified in the not to distant future. If it wasn't for that I would be posting questions on how to get hired at Jet Blue, SWA, FEDEX or UPS. There is hope at CAL, the more new hires the better!

For those that our interested in our union dilemma read the following and go to the link below for more info.

The short story is recalling Houston is a strong start to turn our incompetent union around. IAH, CLE GUM reps are very weak leaders and mostly scabs. They keep our criminal and equally weak MEC officers in power. Essentially other then our Newark reps our union is non existent. However that will soon change.

Houston LEC Recall Update
Houston we need your attention,

A super ground swell of support is finally happening in Houston. Bruce, Shoe and A.J. aren't bothering to put up much of a defense, accept to protest to the IAH CPO regarding our crewroom campaign and to force us to remove our literature from the bulletin baord. In addition, Shoemaker was caught red-handed removing the recall pamplhets from the crewroom.

The agenda is still not finalized as we have sent in a request, prior to the deadline for the adding of the AJ Bertuli recall resolution and the adding of Article 8 LEC resolutions covering the following:

1. Shoemaker: theft of crewroom recall literature (IAH FO REP)
2. Panarello: facilitating triploss abuse (SCAB MEC CHAIRMAN)
3. Pacelli: facilitating triploss abuse (MEC S/T)

Also, the deadline for submissions of LEC Recall Resolution inputs is October 26th so they can be finalized and go to print. We will have an info packet for all in attendance so you can follow along with the presentations. Your info packet will contain:

1.Recall Resolutions for : Stone, Shoemaker and Bertuli (IAH CA FO S/T)
2. Proposed Article 8 resolutions for Shoemaker, Pacelli and Panarello
3. A copy of pertinent schedules, pay registers, quotable quotes, documented errors in judgment, etc. for those being recalled.
4. Pertinent data from the FTFPL Report
5. Petinent data from the Barry Amos FTFPL Report

How many other LEC meetings have ever been held on the last day of a bid month, during a transition and on Halloween?

Answer: NONE! This meeting date was picked to ensure minimum participation. Don't relax and don't stay home. We need maximum participation at this LEC meeting. We also need maximum proxy participation. Go to www.IAHRecallReps.com and sign up to bring or send in a proxy.

HOUSTON,

You asked for change and I've made it happen, now it's up to you to donate 3 hours of your time and make the effort. You will have no one to blame but yourselves if this recall effort falls short.

Everyone understands what is expected of them, now JUST DO IT!

We will be in the crew-room with a strong presence these last few weeks before Judgment Day.

Make no mistake about it, October 31st is more than just Halloween. It is tick-removal day in Houston.

Wear your favorite costume. We will adjourn to the bar. Costume judging will commence immediately following the meeting.

Last edited:
From CAL EWR 737:

CAL is a great company. The best news of my 18 1/2 year career at CAL is the significant hiring and retirements over the next five to 10 years. The make up of our pilot group is going to be significantly stronger and much more unified in the not to distant future. If it wasn't for that I would be posting questions on how to get hired at Jet Blue, SWA, FEDEX or UPS. There is hope at CAL, the more new hires the better!

Amen to that!

CLAMBAKE

pkober said:
From CAL EWR 737:

Amen to that!

CLAMBAKE

Amen squared! As a newhire (this coming week), the more you "old folk" get out of the way, the better... ;)

Just kidding, but the movement CAL is supposed to have is phenomenal. Makes it very attractive to work for.

Does anyone have any updated info or advice for a new hire as far as aircraft choice and/or base for a west coast commuter as far as length of reserve and commutability?

Latest resources

Back