Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yea Right

secks said:
I'm not too worried about the mental challenge of OTS/UPT/SUPT. I don't mean to brag, but I've attended a top-tier engineering school for over 5 years, have been busting my ass, and am usually ranked in the top 10% of my classes.

Dude, you crack me up! I almost $hit my pants when I read that comment.

I guess you have already been to OTS then..huh?

OTS is nothing like college....AT ALL!
Just like UPT is not like a run-of-the-mill flight School. Just because you study hard, and make good grades now, does not mean that you are ready for the "mental" challenge of OTS, and is not any indication that you will succeed in the Air Force. If so, than they would only pick candidates with good GPA’s from great colleges.

OTS is more than academics. In fact, many state the academics are easy. There is a lot more to OTS than you think. It teaches you leadership, responsibility, Time management, Attention to Detail, sacrifice, commitment, and a lot more. They will rip you a new A$$hole for folding your socks wrong. Everything you do will be wrong, and you will have to be a man about it.

I would love to see the look on your face, when you tell your flight commander, or an upperclassman what you stated here.

If you think you are going to join the Air Force, and breeze through OTS. Than the first think you should do is: grab the back of your neck, and pull your head out of your A$$.

I wish you luck, and I hope you get past the board, and your physical so you can make it to OTS. There, you will get a check up by DR. Reality, and you will learn a few things. Based on your comments here, I would bet that you don’t make it through the first week.

I would stick to your original plan(to save yourself time and humiliation), and go through the civilian route, paying for your hours with bananas. Hopefully you will not run into any “Mohamed Atta’s” along your way.

Last edited:
Re: Yea Right

fly_me12 said:
Dude, you crack me up! I almost $hit my pants when I read that comment.

I guess you have already been to OTS then..huh?

OTS is nothing like college....AT ALL!
Just like UPT is not like a run-of-the-mill flight School. Just because you study hard, and make good grades now, does not mean that you are ready for the "mental" challenge of OTS, and is not any indication that you will succeed in the Air Force. If so, than they would only pick candidates with good GPA’s from great colleges.

It may be nothing like college, but those who select future OTS students do heavily weigh academics. I know for a fact that they seek applicants with high GPAs and high qualifying test scores. Are they the only candidates? No, but they are preferred.

I think college performance is a good indicator of how well a student will perform in UPT. A high GPA in a difficult curriculum indicates above average discipline and competence. Don't you think those two qualities are important in flight school?

OTS is more than academics. In fact, many state the academics are easy. There is a lot more to OTS than you think. It teaches you leadership, responsibility, Time management, Attention to Detail, sacrifice, commitment, and a lot more. They will rip you a new A$$hole for folding your socks wrong. Everything you do will be wrong, and you will have to be a man about it.

Sounds a hell of a lot like a heavy college schedule, minus the leadership. However, instead an officer yelling at your for folding your socks incorrectly, a professor will fail a problem for a sign error.

I would love to see the look on your face, when you tell your flight commander, or an upperclassman what you stated here.

Yeah, it's preposterous to think that someone who has done well in a difficult college curriculum might be well-prepared for a rough time at OTS/UPT.

If you think you are going to join the Air Force, and breeze through OTS. Than the first think you should do is: grab the back of your neck, and pull your head out of your A$$.

I wish you luck, and I hope you get past the board, and your physical so you can make it to OTS. There, you will get a check up by DR. Reality, and you will learn a few things. Based on your comments here, I would bet that you don’t make it through the first week.

I never said I thought I would "breeze" through OTS. I simply said that I was not too worried about it. You're putting words in my mouth. And don't bother wishing me luck unless you really mean it. When and if I do choose to pursue the AF route, you will lose your bet.

I would stick to your original plan(to save yourself time and humiliation), and go through the civilian route, paying for your hours with bananas. Hopefully you will not run into any “Mohamed Atta’s” along your way.

This statement speaks volumes to how you view those who take the civilian route in order to pursue their dreams. And you think I should take my head out of my ass.

secks said:

I'm sure that none of your classmates are motivated by what awaits them after their 12 years, or the opportunity to operate military hardware. After all, only "selfish" people would do that.

I'll tell you what drives my classmates. The opportunity to serve their country and drop bombs on bad dudes' heads. No, really, that's what we're there for.

I'm sure you have some desire, however small, to serve your country. The problem is that it's obvious that service ranks very low on your list of priorities. Anyone on this board that's involved with military aviation can see that based on your previous posts.

secks said:

I think college performance is a good indicator of how well a student will perform in UPT. A high GPA in a difficult curriculum indicates above average discipline and competence. Don't you think those two qualities are important in flight school?

The last two guys that washed out of our class were the Air Force Academy class of 2002 class president and an engineer from a top notch school. Reason: they couldn't fly. Both great dudes, much smarter than I.

GPA has nothing to do with UPT. Get over yourself. Some of the guys in my class that are doing well barely graduated college (after 7+ years). UPT is more about attitude than any number on a piece of paper.

I'm telling you man, you're in for a rude awakening. If you want to dedicate yourself to something greater than the airlines (your country) and are willing to risk your life for it, than welcome aboard. Otherwise, stick with what you know.

A "smart guy" would not start telling a bunch of military professionals that: "he knows what it takes, and it is not difficult."

There is no sense arguing with this guy, he doesn't get it, and he'll never get it. Stick to your formulas pall.

fly_me12 said:
A "smart guy" would not start telling a bunch of military professionals that: "he knows what it takes, and it is not difficult."

There is no sense arguing with this guy, he doesn't get it, and he'll never get it. Stick to your formulas pall.

And an even smarter man claims that people made statements they never made. It looks like reading for detail isn't your specialty, which is disturbing, considering your career route. Where did I say "I know what it takes, and it is not difficult"? Bottom line is, I didn't. Next time you make accusations, at least support them. Also, you might want to try debating my points, instead of copping-out with the old "I won't bother with this guy" routine.

Originally posted by flaco

The last two guys that washed out of our class were the Air Force Academy class of 2002 class president and an engineer from a top notch school. Reason: they couldn't fly. Both great dudes, much smarter than I.

GPA has nothing to do with UPT. Get over yourself. Some of the guys in my class that are doing well barely graduated college (after 7+ years). UPT is more about attitude than any number on a piece of paper.

Fair enough, some great students do flunk out of flight school. What's your point? How many poor students flunk out of flight school?

As for getting over myself, it's been done. Years of busting my ass and occasionally having it handed to me have both toughened and humbled me. The only reason I brought up my college experience was to explain that I'm no stranger to hard work and sacrifice, which is what the military is all about.

secks said:
The only reason I brought up my college experience was to explain that I'm no stranger to hard work and sacrifice, which is what the military is all about.

But, you ARE a stranger to military training.

If you go that route, keep your mouth shut and you'll do fine.

Washout

Just an ironic matter of interest. My Navy Pre-flight roommate washed out of advanced, flying Panthers at NAAS Kingsville, Texas, one week prior to graduating. He and another buddy went to Laredo and on the way home threw an empty whiskey bottle out of the car and it struck a cop car hidden on the side of the road. He subsequently flew crop-dusters in Hawaii for the next 30 years. It seemed such a waste but he liked to surf so maybe it wasn't.

secks said:
Years of busting my ass and occasionally having it handed to me have both toughened and humbled me. The only reason I brought up my college experience was to explain that I'm no stranger to hard work and sacrifice, which is what the military is all about. [/B]

Hmmm, You could always try the Marine Corps for flight school: no intelligence required, just a high threshold of pain. SIR YES SIR. :)

I find it rather amusing and interesting that guys who a year ago were begging for OTS gouge and UPT gouge are now the "dispensers of knowledge" and are the barometers of a poster's professionalism and potential to be an AF officer.

The AF is going to demand a huge chunk of your time, energy, effort, and soul if you are going to be a successful military pilot. Any shortcuts along the way will get you in trouble, and guys like TalonDriver will put a boot in your butt on the way out of UPT faster than you can blink. There are plenty of dedicated T-1 and T-37 guys who also won't put up with a guy who doesn't have the heart, brains, or internal fortitude to make a valuable contribution as a pilot.

That being said, I seriously doubt there are but a handful of young LTs out there who are in the right position to make the call on who will or won't be a valuable member of the team. I would also say being a "selectee" to go to UPT hardly makes you the perfect guy to screen future candidates. If you do a post search, you'll see along the way I told many "wannabes" that the military is a great job until someone schedules a war or your good buddy from XXX gets killed in an accident. It is a tough and demanding job that requires you have not only good job skills, but a set of ideals that allow you to sacrifice your own goals (sometimes) for the greater good. However...its also a job you can do...IF you are willing to hit the training hard and IF you are willing to recognize the sacrifice the job entails. Its not just another "flying job"--its a way of life that requires you become an "officer first"--and that phrase isn't just empty mantra but is critical if you are to succeed.

So...if you've ever sent me a PM asking how to chase your UPT dream, don't turn around now and tell someone else to "do us a favor and stay out". Be a bro, pass on what you DO know, and have a little confidence in the system. If someone really isn't the right person, the system will puke them out somewhere along in the training cycle. A dirty little secret---not everyone who shows up to UPT is a true patriot when they start--they likely have a bit of their own agenda. However, I'll bet darn few don't have a pretty solid set of values by the time the get to their first base and look back at all they had to do to get where they are. A few deployments/rotes/inspections working together chases a lot of the "me" out of young guys and shows them what they can accomplish by working together. Most "old guys" who look back are more patriotic looking back than they were when they were 23 looking ahead. A lot of realizing what it takes to be a good officer comes from BEING an officer. A lot of what makes you appreciate the hard work in OTS, UPT, etc is DOING the hard work and understanding the teamwork and joint effort it takes to be successful.

Seck...go chase your dream. But understand it will be hard...even if you are smart. Its fast paced, requires a team mindset (even though you are working for YOUR wings its a class project), and it will different than anything you've ever done. Never pass up an opportunity to "shut your hole". That said...it is a great way of life, and we need good folks. Jump in and give it a shot...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back