• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Congratulations to the CAL boys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The next pilot with a kidney stone at CAL should have his lawyer send CAL legal a letter.

To even consider denying the cockpit crew unlimited water is borderline criminal.

The middle manager ACP who wrote the memo needs to be removed.

I doubt the CALALPA union would support this though. Which is sad but true.

They never denied cockpit crew water. They just wanted the Captain to sign for it. Which is still very wrong. As for the rest of you legacy carriers pissing about CAL, you guys need to worry about those 70 and 90 seat RJs that are coming your way. Especially Northwest. Thanks for bringing our industry Compass. Jetblue? no comment.

They never denied cockpit crew water. They just wanted the Captain to sign for it.

It's still intimidation and harassment as far as I'm concerned. But if it makes you feel better, defend it however you want.

It's still intimidation and harassment as far as I'm concerned. But if it makes you feel better, defend it however you want.

Im not defending it all. As you can read above I said that it is very wrong to ask for justification for water.

In some international stations the captain signs for fuel, deicing, hotel vans, etc. It's just a scribble on a piece of paper. I am hoping this didn't discourage anyone from getting more water, this was primarily a domestic issue, but unfortunately there is always a weak dick captain somewhere.

They never denied cockpit crew water. They just wanted the Captain to sign for it.

If they require you to sign to go to the bathroom, are they discouraging it? "Oh, my, no." But what the heck are they trying to say to the pilot group to add a hoop to a bodily function (like drinking water) that everyone takes for granted? Yes, they're trying to discourage it. Why? Who the heck knows.

If they require you to sign to go to the bathroom, are they discouraging it? "Oh, my, no." But what the heck are they trying to say to the pilot group to add a hoop to a bodily function (like drinking water) that everyone takes for granted? Yes, they're trying to discourage it. Why? Who the heck knows.

Yes I agree. I know what they are trying to do. Save a few goddam pennies and undermine captains authority. If I remember correctly the Alaska pilots the same kind of problem with this several years ago.
Now that we have held onto our water lets do the same with our scope.

Yes I agree. I know what they are trying to do. Save a few goddam pennies and undermine captains authority. If I remember correctly the Alaska pilots the same kind of problem with this several years ago.
Now that we have held onto our water lets do the same with our scope.

The reponse to this petty requirement should have been this: on every single flight order bottles "to sign for" from ops. A couple of captains I've flown with do this now. They ask for and sign for a bottle of water for each crew member for each leg they fly, every single day they fly. There's water everywhere.

If the company's position is "it is no problem to get water, we just want you to sign for it" then fine, turn it around and order bottle for each crew x 1000 legs per day. No problem, right? Thank you very much.

This should have been the union's formal response.* The company would have promptly rescinded the letter completely and learned a valuable lesson going into negotiations: if you're going to play games with the pilot group, then expect games back from the pilot group. And these games will cost you money.

*This would not have violated RLA "established" behavior regarding the contract. It could have been done.

Last edited:
The reponse to this petty requirement should have been this: on every single flight order bottles "to sign for" from ops. A couple of captains I've flown with do this now. They ask for and sign for a bottle of water for each crew member for each leg they fly, every single day they fly. There's water everywhere.

If the company's position is "it is no problem to get water, we just want you to sign for it" then fine, turn it around and order bottle for each crew x 1000 legs per day. No problem, right? Thank you very much.

This should have been the union's formal response.* The company would have promptly rescinded the letter completely and learned a valuable lesson going into negotiations: if you're going to play games with the pilot group, then expect games back from the pilot group. And these games will cost you money.

*This would not have violated RLA "established" behavior regarding the contract. It could have been done.

That's exactly what we are doing. I have more water flowing in (and out) of me than ever before. Can we put this issue to rest now?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back