• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Congrats FLOPS!!! Who will be next?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Job security = peace of mind. Isn't that the daily benefit of insurance? Hence, my analogy likening it to union membership. So even if the unthinkable never happens to you (and be assured it does happen), in the meantime, you have the peace of mind that comes from knowing that IF it did, you'd have a Union Steward standing by your side, making sure the contract was followed.

When work rule violations occur, you have someone to help you grieve it. Compliance violations are a serious matter and the penalties are set accordingly. If a company chooses not to follow the rules---it's gonna cost them! After shelling out millions, you'd think they'd figure out that it's cheaper and easier just to keep their word.

No, the union wasn't able to prevent my husband from being furloughed from American after 9/11, but we know who to thank for the stock options he was given as a consolation prize.

RustyFan said:
I can tell you who it won’t be… NetJets International.

FLOPS Pilots,
  • Go cut your tongues out, they are now useless. Your union will speak for you.
  • Find the biggest sh*t bag on your property, he’s now the benchmark, and the person your union will fight to protect.
  • Say adios to around 2% of your paycheck.
  • Get use to hearing the company say, "sorry I can’t do that for you, it’s against the contract, and if I give you an extra day off for your moms funeral, the union will file a grievance against the company".
  • Don’t get mad when you see your union leaders doing everything you thought they wouldn’t with your $$. If you thought your management made bad decisions, what until you see what 6 pilots do when they try to act like corporate executives.
Everything in life has two sides, you guys just decided to go the wrong way on a one way street. Good luck!

Ah, dont worry Rusty, you can still bitch all you want when you are yanking gear for me.

You have decided to let RTS speak for you. We will see how smart that is.

RustyFan - what would you have suggested that the FLOPS pilots do in lieu of voting in a union? By their own accounts, the status quo wasn't working and the company-sponsored "FOPA" didn't appeal to them.

RustyFan said:

• Find the biggest sh*t bag on your property, he’s now the benchmark, and the person your union will fight to protect.
  • This statement just shows how little you know about the process. Each case is decided on its own merit, and not all are accepted. Pilots may choose to present a frivolous grievance, but the union will refuse to carry it forward. Likewise, no one can save the job of a pilot who truly deserves to lose it. Union Stewards are successful because the rules and the case facts are on the pilot's side.
  • This weak excuse has been covered repeatedly by NJ pilots who gained far more (in the salary increase and/or grievance settlements) than they paid for the cost of their union investment.
  • Get use to hearing the company say, "sorry I can’t do that for you, it’s against the contract, and if I give you an extra day off for your moms funeral, the union will file a grievance against the company".
  • Stooping this low in your desperate attempt to discredit 1108 goes against the rules of common decency that both sides follow in times of tragedy. Again, your ignorance is showing. The grievances originate with the affected pilots; their union is just there to assist them in the process, fighting on their behalf--not against them.
  • Don’t get mad when you see your union leaders doing everything you thought they wouldn’t with your $$. If you thought your management made bad decisions, what until you see what 6 pilots do when they try to act like corporate executives.
  • This Chicken Little attitude is without basis. NJA pilots are quite satisfied with how their union dues have been spent. They have seen those dollars returned many times over. 1108's leadership has shown responsibility in handling the finances and accountability to the pilots that elected them.

How many frac pilots are now members of 1108? Over 3000? I'd hardly call that a "street". It sounds more like a highway to me! Flt Ops pilots voted with their eyes wide open. Congratulations to them and their families!
Netjetwife

Rusty,

Advice from an old Right Guard or BAN deodorant commercial:

"Never let them see you sweat"

See you in 2008.

RustyFan said:
I can tell you who it won’t be… NetJets International.

FLOPS Pilots,
Everything in life has two sides, you guys just decided to go the wrong way on a one way street. Good luck!

Flexjet and Avantair should be next.

Well, let's see....

RustyFan said:

FLOPS Pilots,

I think we'll keep them, thanks. Since our Union is US, we'll be speaking for ourselves; and for the first time in quite a while, our management will actually have to listen.

Not quite. Our Union will fight to protect any of us from undue harassment from management over refusal to do things which are unsafe or not legal. As for pilots who can't or won't cut the mustard, that's what our Union's Professional Standards Committee is for.

I spend more than that on cable television and broadband. Plus, it's tax-deductible. I'm over it.

Actually, if an issue isn't covered in the contract as being either mandatory to do, or expressly forbidden, the Company isn't prohibited from it. I doubt something like your Mom's funeral would be covered in our contract; but one supposes that a more general policy such as bereavement leave might be addressed. Notwithstanding, if you really needed the extra day, don't you suppose there are other creative ways intelligent people can handle such a case?

Like what, exactly? Harley-Davidson motorcycles? Free travel on Company aircraft? Tickets to the SuperBowl? Complete transparancy of financial transactions has been a point insisted on by our Union since this drive started, and I wouldn't expect that to change now.

For those of us who actually work here, it seems to many of us (67% at least) that we have been stuck in the middle of the road while one speeding management bus after another has run us down. Yesterday, we made our way to the crossroads and erected a traffic signal. In the coming months we will be working to get our Company off this side-street, over to the nearest on-ramp, and back up to freeway speed.

Regards,
Mike

Well said, Mike! I'm sure that many other frac pilots see their situation much the same way.

1108---CHANGING THE FRACTIONAL INDUSTRY, A COMPANY AT A TIME

XShipRider said:
Having seen much in a short time at that frac I say "well done" to those
who persevered. I still say watch your back (and your union!) to ensure
they don't do to you what the auto unions did to that industry.

What exactly did the auto unions do there industry? Make crappy, ugly cars ... nope they just produced what management told them to. Not think about fuel effency ... nope management again. Build bohemeth cars (which by the way made lots of money for everyone back in the day) ... nope, management again.

If Honda was based in Detroit instead of Japan, perhaps we all be singing the praises of how the auto unions are the shinning light in America's working class. Do not kid yourselves, we are ALL working class.

One of the great falicies in today's neo-conservative movement is everyone seems to think it is a bad thing when a group collectively raises its standard of living. Another great myth is that organized labor is the cause of today's financal woes in industry. (See 1st paragraph if you forgot what I was talking about).

Since when did all the pilots on this board become super-millionares and feel that labor should be giving their efforts at a reduced rate to those who need it the least? Think about it.

We would all like to think that we are going to be treated fairly by our employers because we all take pride in what we do and work hard to achieve it. If you work for a large labor group you are very naive if you think this is going to get to retirement. It is the representation that assures your quality of life and also ensures that management plays by the same rules that you are expected to play by.

If you cannot stomach the politics involved with unions, work for a 91 flight department or work 135.

netjetwife said:
This statement just shows how little you know about the process.

Is that so Sugar Pants? The last time I checked I still had 21 years at Eastern Airlines. I've got more time sitting in LEC meetings listening to lawyers tell me why I have to strike than you have reading this forum. Say what ever makes you feel good inside, the fact is your feeding your kids frozen chicken nuggets instead of cooking a real meal so you can sit on the internet and blah blah blah about your husbands job! Go watch Opra and get with the program. Your about as clueless as they come in knowing your "union" history.

Oh yeah honey, one more thing... When it came time to go on strike and shut-er-down, I was in the front of the pack. So dont tell me what it takes to get respect in this business. Ya free loading *****.

CE750Driver said:
Ah, dont worry Rusty, you can still bitch all you want when you are yanking gear for me.

Not gonna happen there Little Chucky. I "was" going to retire, but now the paystubs are adding up to $175k for only working 4 months a year. I guess I can hang out for just 3 more years. I've said it once, now let me say it again:

THE TEAMSTERS CANT TOUCH ME! NO MATTER HOW HARD THEY TRY.

Latest resources

Back