Computer question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
w2k

Windows 2000 Professional is, by far, the most stable version of windows I've ever used. I'm halfway sorry I "upgraded" to XP last year.

XP is pretty easy to use with plug-n-play junk, or if you want to dabble in making movies, I guess. Although it's based upon w2k, it's not nearly as stable. Plus, it's much slower because of all the bloated 'ease-of-use' crap.

I've been running XP Pro for 6 months now, and it's desperately ready for the big scrub down. Late at night I can just barely hear my computer calling out over my night terrors, "Would someone clean slate me, already!" Kinda sad.

You'd think as computers get faster that the operating system would speed up, too. But I wish I still had my old 486 Packard Bell with windows 3.1, because I'm quite sure it went from zero to desktop in a lot less time than this 2.8GHz P4 Giga-Ramonster does with XP. I know darn well my Atari 400 booted up to any ROM cartridge in 2 seconds flat. It's been downhill ever since.

Kids, don't get me started on the old days....300 baud modems, cassette drives and atari basic. Good times, good times!

Anyway, Microsoft keeps adding bulk to their OS faster than the CPU manufacturers can keep up.

Bottom line is this, if your machine can support it, go with win2k. Either way, plan on a reformat at least once a year, whether you want it or not. Basically, keep your personal files portable and in an easy place to find when you're ready to back them up, ro find a really good migration tool. A second physical hard drive helps, too.

Do this ...

reboot to a C :/ and type scanreg/restore select a registry backup from a date prior to this clock problem hit enter and reboot it will give you pre -problem settings and hopefully fix it meanwhile you can go back to any other registry if there are problems Vavso

Travis makes a good point. Win 2K is probably one of the better OS that Microsoft has come out with. All the information that I've read on it and my limited experience with it shows that it is a fairly stable system.

I'm interested. Have you ever had "Microsoft gremlins" happen with a 2K system?

You can test the clock to make sure it is not the CMOS battery. Go to a dos prompt and type in "TIME" and hit enter, compare the time with the time given by the clock in your system tray. If thats not it then it is Windows 98 causing this.

Latest resources

Back