Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Timebuilder

Entrepreneur
I'm only a semi-geek when it comes to PC's, so here goes.

I went to adjust my clock the other day. No, it isn't the battery or some other "lost time" problem that you often see.

The platform is 98SE.

I double click on the time to open the setting dialog box. I change the time. Now, if I click on any button, such as cancel, OK, or apply, the setting box freezes, and the icon stays on "hourglass" whenever over the box. The only way to get back to normal is to reboot. I can clear the box away by going to "desktop," but clicking on the clock or going through control panel does nothing to bring it back.

A web search brings up all the old "clock" stuff. Nothing for this problem.

Any ideas?

Time to brain wipe.

After a while, older versions of Windows simply get, well, tired, for lack of a better term. Basically, they get tons of stuff installed and re-installed, and uninstalled and things just get a little confused.

Back in the days of Windows 9x (95, 98, ME), I'd brain wipe my machines every 4-6 months or so, just as they'd start to do freaky things, like not display the clock correctly.

With Windows XP, I haven't yet had to brainwipe. Much better.

Well, General, I was looking for a simple solution, not a rebuild of the registry.

Thanks for the suggestion.

A wipe and reinstall might be the way to go.

I agree with the wipe of the harddrive. They are necessary about every 6 months. Another option that may allow you to delay wiping would be to edit the time in the BIOS. Hold F5 or some other key (usually it says hold x key to "enter setup" at the beginning of the boot sequence). From there, see if there are any way to edit the time.

However, other Windows problems will probably start happening if you delay formatting the harddrive.

Might have something to do with the clock battery on the motherboard. They are a couple of bucks, usually the same type as in key-chain car alarm devices. When those go binky, weird things can happen. They usually last five or so years, sounds like your computer might be that old. Can't hurt to swap that out.

pilotman2105 said:
I agree with the wipe of the harddrive. They are necessary about every 6 months.
However, other Windows problems will probably start happening if you delay formatting the harddrive.

no, thats not necesary every 6 months...sounds like plans from the gateway techsupport handbook
*shaking head*

I use 98se, and it's been the most stable of all the home user platforms. Try finding a copy of norton system works, it has several utilities (or a copy of norton utilities) that has a nice registry cleaner, automatically clears out old left over bits from uninstalled programs and what not, plus it's got a much better defragger (speedisk). I've used it on others pcs and its sometimes amazing how much better the machines will run.

Timebuilder said:
Well, General, I was looking for a simple solution, not a rebuild of the registry.

Thanks for the suggestion.

A wipe and reinstall might be the way to go.

go XP... unless you have an old rig, then your only option is to reinstall every 4-6 months. It gets old after a while.

I think they don't even support 98 anymore.

xp isn't the answer either,
after you get it updated it's so bogged down with the 'fixes' that it's no longer reasonable to use my pIII tualatin celeron 1.4gh with512mb 98se is faster than my parents p4 1.5gh and 512mb and xp.

and its still the giant bullseye to the hackers and virus writers out there (particulary if you don't bother to get away from IE or outlook flavors)

yes macs are great machines, if you can afford them and do a lot of graphic arts stuff, but for the general user it's not as capable as a windoze machine (Because of the availability of software, yes i know macs are getting better with their library), same holds true for linux, it's not quite average joe schmoe ready yet, and the software available is somewhat limited.....

Latest resources

Back