• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Competitive times for LCC/Major

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you could have been hired sooner, rather than later - it's a penalty. Spin again.
You mean sooner at LLC where you make CA in about 3 years, as opposed to a major where yuu make CA in about 15 years?

No, I mean for the same exact job. But even taking in account a 3 year upgrade, its worth running the numbers.

While yes, at present the upgrade at a major is about 15 years, it should conservatively be around 10 years for someone hired today.

Likewise, I wouldn't expect the upgrade to hold steady at 3 years for a quality LCC like Spirit either. According to APC - JetBlue is hovering around 4.5 years, Virgin 4.5-5 years, Frontier 8 years, Spirit 3 years, and finally Allegiant 2 months (great for the masochists).

When I ran the numbers given a 10 year upgrade at DAL (staying only on the 320) vs a 3 year upgrade at Spirit based on a 15 year career the numbers were very close, only about $180,000 advantage to the DAL guy, not counting 401k or other bonuses. Admittedly, that's really close spread across 15 years, 1,000 hrs pay per year.

But, if you end up somewhere that pays less than Spirit, do not upgrade within 3 years, stay longer than 15 years , or fly larger equipment at a major the gap widens and keeps growing.

Sending out some applications looking to see what competitive times are for LLC/Nationals. Have ATP 4400tt 1100 multi, 650 turbine PIC. Turbine time is single engine but am flying as PIC Metro now.

Wondering if single turbine will be an issue until I get some PIC Metro time.

Does Metro PIC look better than SIC in an RJ?

Thanks

C'mon man, should be too hard to "find" another 300 tpic in your logbook somewhere.

I really appreciate the response and information. I have applied to Atlas, Allegiant, Spirit, Virgin, Miami Air, and will complete the app for United tonight. Don't think Jet Blue window is open right now. Going to keep trying/updating and be positive !!! Thanks Again!!!

The jetBlue application window is open today and will remain open for the next two weeks. Just FYI.

... I ran the numbers given a 10 year upgrade at DAL (staying only on the 320) vs a 3 year upgrade at Spirit based on a 15 year career the numbers were very close, only about $180,000 advantage to the DAL guy, not counting 401k or other bonuses. Admittedly, that's really close spread across 15 years, 1,000 hrs pay per year.

I think the upgrade time factors more when considering an LLC, rather than at a legacy as in your example above.

At the legacy, you'll have the opportunity to make more simply by staying in your seat on a large plane.....

Try jetblue. They want guys that won't be marketable at the majors for quite awhile.

We will know in a few days for sure when the most recent system bid comes out. However if the rumors are true upgrade in the 320 is going to be less than 3.5 years and about 3 years in the 190.

Latest resources

Back