• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Compass or SkyWest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have a couple of thoughts that I would like the poster who started this thread to consider when reading what you've written.

- Great training is something to be proud of and to appreciate but it is doubtful that either of these two carriers have inferior training or intimidating/old-school training to worry about. This category is a moot point.

- Good pay: the pay appears to be similar to Compass. Depending on time to upgrade, the pay could be significantly higher at Compass as year 3 could be captain pay vs. waiting another year or two for a higher hourly captain rate at SKW. Of course, this part is impossible to predict. Therefore, I think this category is also a moot point.

- Better travel benefits. I have traveled the world over on pass benefits that are probably considered worse than what SkyWest has. It is absolutely not even on the radar when considering a job in this section of the industry. Moot point.

- I agree with your advice that considering 'current' upgrade time as important is foolish. However, of these two carriers, one is about to basically have a guaranteed immediate 25% dump of the seniority list. This proportion of movement is unheard of in the industry. A year later, depending on things, another 25% could disappear. This would put a new hire in the left seat in about two years, without any growth. Again, unheard of. Traditionally a two year upgrade is not possible without massive growth. Massive growth is hard to find in this section of the industry these days, with many new airplanes really just being part of an up-gauge deal to park some amount of smaller jets.

Congrats to someone who actually knows how to spell "moot" properly!!

Translation: Skywest wants you only if you're drunk on their kool aid otherwise you will be an outcast.;)

Go with the first one that hires you seems to be reasonable.

Translation: Nevjets wanted Skywest but didn't get hired.

Translation: Nevjets wanted Skywest but didn't get hired.

Like I said, go with the first one that hires you. I would have said that if he was asking between Skywest and XJT. But you had to be rude and tell him you guys don't want him for merely asking the question! Really? I would have never told him, if you even have to think between XJT and Skywest don't come to XJT. Just rude! Apparently because you are so good you don't want people who don't kill themselves to go there. But seems to be typical of you guys.

I agree, that guy came off a bit defensive and rude. But from what I've come to realize, the Skywest guys are the most proud of their airline. Don't get me wrong, I've wanted to go to Skywest since I was in high school. I never imagined I'd get called, let alone hired by Compass. I don't know of "just wanting to work at Skywest" is sufficient reason to go there. Or should I look at the facts and see that Compass loses 75% of their pilots to flow over 3 years, and they operate 170's which shouldn't be on the chopping blocks like a lot of 50 seaters. From the attitudes of my friends at both places, it seems like Compass and Skywest both have good morale and people are really happy at both places. Do I follow that mentality of progression, or do I just follow my strong desire to want to work for Skywest no matter the situation?

If you're young or possibly starting a second career, SkyWest is very fun, relaxed, and professional. Great bases, variety of flying, and variety of equipememt to choose from once hired. Flight attendant hiring department does a good job of hiring hotties. Pay and work rules are descent, but as Nevets will point out, we're nonunion and currently have a fairly good relationship with management that could change at any time. My experience has been fantastic.

Now, on the other hand, if you want to go to the legacies as quickly as possible? Go to Mesa. It'll suck, but you'll upgrade quickly and so desperately want out, you will beg/borrow/steal a way to the legacies. It's the difference between surviving Mesa versus enjoying SkyWest.

At Compass, you can avoid any turboprop time (up and down the West coast in a e120 is a blast, but doesn't pay as well) and fly capaible E175 aircraft (CRJ200 is anemic). They do have flow through and there MAY be quick upgrades, but you have to work for Hulas. I cannot say anything as to the experience at Compass, but I don't recall hearing any complaints.

Good luck on you journey.

Which airline has 300 firm and 600 total aircraft on order? Compass or SkyWest? When choosing an employer, shouldn't you want to be with the more stable, reliable company that has a positive future?

And how about a show of hands for all those other regional airlines out there that get non-rev priority on their own metal over all their mainline counterparts (except AA)? Anyone? Anyone?

And despite what the General says on here, SkyWest is making money off the 50-seaters. They still have a positive future here. Just like the Brasilias seem to be the turboprop that just wont die because they are still turning a profit on them.

Which airline has 300 firm and 600 total aircraft on order? Compass or SkyWest? When choosing an employer, shouldn't you want to be with the more stable, reliable company that has a positive future?

And how about a show of hands for all those other regional airlines out there that get non-rev priority on their own metal over all their mainline counterparts (except AA)? Anyone? Anyone?

And despite what the General says on here, SkyWest is making money off the 50-seaters. They still have a positive future here. Just like the Brasilias seem to be the turboprop that just wont die because they are still turning a profit on them.

Genital "lee" Warts talks out of his rectum...That cubicle commando has zero idea what he is talking about.

300 firm, but they only have flying for 60, and the MRJ isn't even built yet. I'm sure their 50 seaters can make money, but what happens when DL/UA say they want most of their 50's removed from the fleet on the 76 seat lift has been given to other airlines like Mesa/Republic/etc.

300 firm, but they only have flying for 60, and the MRJ isn't even built yet. I'm sure their 50 seaters can make money, but what happens when DL/UA say they want most of their 50's removed from the fleet on the 76 seat lift has been given to other airlines like Mesa/Republic/etc.

Not even DL/UA can buy those 76 seat aircraft as cheap as SkyWest can. If DL/UA want to continue buying those aircraft and having subpar airlines do their regional flying, then so be it. That's DL/UA's prerogative.

Also, if DL/UA demand all those 50 seaters need to be removed from their bottom line, SkyWest will just continue to operate them at their own risk and continue to make money off them. United tried this about 5 years ago, then saw how much money SkyWest was making on routes UA deemed no longer viable and demanded them all back.

And the MRJ orders are for a specific mainline partner. Said mainline partner wants the MRJs. Until that changes, everything is a go. Which means there is already a home for those 100 firm orders. Until everything is finally nailed down, we wont know what mainline partner that is, or could be. Stay tuned.

But enough arguments about SkyWest. Please, tell me what Compass has in comparison. I'm dying to know.

Latest resources

Back