Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LXApilot

Owes More Than He Makes
I am considering submitting my application for a pilot position at either Compass or ASA; but I am not sure if I can afford to make the transition back to regional flying with the situation I've faced in this past year or two.

I want to thank-you all again for all the kind words and all of the support I got on this forum after I shared my story in the "for those who left the regionals" thread.

I always loved -121 flying and would be willing to consider returning. Since I don't have any carrier landings or Apollo lunar module landings I don't think I can make it to Delta or US Airways right now; even though I'm at about 5,500 total time and 1,500 jet PIC.

The reason I am approaching this board : You guys are much more in tune than I am regarding what is going on internally at these two companies. Which one would you chose? I live in Atlanta and am looking for (a) a short time on reserve, and (b) productive credit trips. Any information you could give me I would certainly appreciate it. Feel free to PM me.

Looking forward to seeing you all back on the line in the near future.

Location!

Location!

Location!

No regional flying job pays enough to justify a tough commute. Go with the job which will involve no commuting.

One of the best and most honest answers to a question I have heard on this board in a LONG time!!! Only real bonus to Compass is that you SHOULD be able to count on a bit MORE movement!!

In the past it seemed like ASA could be a good place to be, but the past two years have proven to be the beginning of a new world order in which life here sucks. It could return to the way it used to be but I am frankly not very hopeful. We are continuously told we are too expensive and we need to cut costs. That we BARELY make a profit. Now our DCI fees have been cut, I can't fathom how we can make a profit. I don't know if it a mgmt ploy but I do know we are more expensive than most DCI carriersand that is not a good place to be. Think Comair. WHEN oil goes up we are ALL screwed.

I don't think Compass is any better or worse, but I only know one person there.

One thing to consider is the flow, or lack of. How is Compass handling new hires? Seems like they all have the risk of the flow without the reward.

One thing to consider (yes I'm biased, work at AS) but think about how big AS/SKYW/XJT umbrella is with all of SKYW INC's $$$ in the bank. Compass will flow all 400 guys to DAL at some point but once that's done then your just owned by one of the worst companies in aviation TS, and could morph into GoJet or dissolve totally. It's all a crap shoot but I think the entire group at SKY INC would be more stable long term but you'll never know if it was the right decision until five years after you decide.
Things aren't that bad at AS, I'll take the too short problem rather than the to fat/furlough problem any day, glass half full.

You do understand that Compass is owned by one of the biggest scumbags in the industry, right? "Hulas Industries" i.e.Trans States/GoJet.

You do understand that Compass is owned by one of the biggest scumbags in the industry, right? "Hulas Industries" i.e.Trans States/GoJet.

I agree. The Hulas philosophy, is profits first, people second. I think at ASA it maybe the other way around. Be warned, at least you can't complain now because you know it's coming if you do decide to go to compASS.

Latest resources

Back