• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Compass new bases after Delta NW Merge?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sioux, who took a $hit in your cherios this morning! wow, while everyone agrees that the contract is not good, like someone else said, calling out your own co workers when your not even on the line yet is absurd. there are a lot of people working hard trying to get things changed here at compass, but that stuff doesn't happen overnight. i am surprised that you didn't think about any of the things you talk about before you signed the dotted line at compass. at least those of us who were here early on could use the "its a new airline" excuse, but if you're still in training you have no excuse to say that you weren't informed about what's going on here. while i agree with you on the fact that the company hasn't been 100% on its promises to the pilots here, it isn't anything new for a regional airline. I suggest you get the enormous chip off your shoulder, FINISH training, and then maybe you have a right to spout your mouth off about how "deplorable" the conditions are at compass. we're all in this together and we're all trying to get things changed, but you gotta give it some time. the airline has only been in full operations for 1 1/2 yrs.
Again I will state- " I am not making fun of or calling my coworkers bad people." This is all about Compost management. Calling this place compost is calling it like it really is. This company not pilots are compost. AGAIN NOT THE PILOTS. As others have stated when you take the big ERJ and fly it on mainline routes you should be paid like a mainline pilot. Quack I don't need to finish training to have the right "spout" my mouth off. It was my right to complain and want change since my hire date. I guess you don't complain because you are happy flying the big erj for crappy wages and an even worse contract? Come on when will you all realize when people post on FI it isn't always about making fun of each other? It is all about telling the truth, and the truth is undeniable; COMPOST(the company, not the pilots) is horrible. It is no where near where the leading commuter airlines are. If you can't see that then you are disillusioned. I will continue to complain and I am sorry that offends you. Can't wait to fly with you maybe we can see eye to eye one day.

WSurf,

Hey while I agree with much of what you said concerning career progression, it frankly is a sorry excuse for a professional to go on tantrum like rants chock full of name calling and denigrating monikers.

If you'd like to learn how to take your lumps with grace you should speak with most of the former ATA guys that have been hired here. I've personally flown with a couple of these guys, and believe me they recognize that things aren't perfect. They however, direct their criticisms with tact and respect toward their fellow coworkers. I really feel for these guys, they're great professionals who had unfortunate luck. If anyone has a right to have a chip on their shoulder its these guys, yet most of them are taking it in stride.

Listen, we all know things aren't rainbows and unicorns at Compass. We're like an airline refugee camp, we've all come from somewhere, some type of previous air carrier jobs. Many of us were really getting the $h*t end of the stick in our previous positions. Compass for its faults, looks like quite a picnic compared to where I had come from.

We're not highly paid, or have a great contract, but we're working hard and trying to make CPS a better place. Remember, none of us had a say in the contract. With that said though, most of us are here at Compass because we want to be here. No one is holding a gun Sioux's head. Plenty of guys had come to training, found other jobs, and left in the past.

FWIW, I'm a member of the training comittee and I've not received a single phone call in the past couple months. Not to say that other training committee members haven't, but I have not and my number is right there on your list. We know there's problems but we don't know where to start without help from the guys in training up in YUL.

Sioux, if I ever fly with you, the first round is on me. Best of luck with the training, we've all been there and through it.

Good to be vocal but to call the airline who hired you a crappy company based on a month in YUL with outsource training is just childish.

I am an ALPA guy here working on enforcing the contract we have. We have suggested many things that need to added and we are trying to negotiate some things but when you negotiate a crappy contract we r going to have to give some thing away. No one here negotiated this thing, it was the NWA MEC before the 175 started fly. Getting all fired up is ok but you need to direct that anger towards the NWA MEC not us line guys.

Calling us Compost does nothing but insult your coworkers. If your based out of DTW hope we fly together to see if your view changed. I am the only contract guy based in DTW.

I am sorry to hear that when I call my company compost it offends you. Never once have I tried to degrade the pilots of compost. My "anger" is directed towards those in Chantilly not the line pilots of compost. The name compost is showing my disdain for the company NOT THE PILOTS. Maybe when we fly together we can work this out. Maybe some of our thoughts are lost through typing. I hope as an ALPA person you don't truly feel compost is a "good" airline. The pilots may be an awesome group, but the company is a joke and in regards to pay and contract we are lightyears behind where we should be.

WSurf,

Hey while I agree with much of what you said concerning career progression, it frankly is a sorry excuse for a professional to go on tantrum like rants chock full of name calling and denigrating monikers.

If you'd like to learn how to take your lumps with grace you should speak with most of the former ATA guys that have been hired here. I've personally flown with a couple of these guys, and believe me they recognize that things aren't perfect. They however, direct their criticisms with tact and respect toward their fellow coworkers. I really feel for these guys, they're great professionals who had unfortunate luck. If anyone has a right to have a chip on their shoulder its these guys, yet most of them are taking it in stride.

Listen, we all know things aren't rainbows and unicorns at Compass. We're like an airline refugee camp, we've all come from somewhere, some type of previous air carrier jobs. Many of us were really getting the $h*t end of the stick in our previous positions. Compass for its faults, looks like quite a picnic compared to where I had come from.

We're not highly paid, or have a great contract, but we're working hard and trying to make CPS a better place. Remember, none of us had a say in the contract. With that said though, most of us are here at Compass because we want to be here. No one is holding a gun Sioux's head. Plenty of guys had come to training, found other jobs, and left in the past.

FWIW, I'm a member of the training comittee and I've not received a single phone call in the past couple months. Not to say that other training committee members haven't, but I have not and my number is right there on your list. We know there's problems but we don't know where to start without help from the guys in training up in YUL.

Sioux, if I ever fly with you, the first round is on me. Best of luck with the training, we've all been there and through it.

Spaulding-Thanks, I am looking forward to working with you!

WSurf,

Smails, your right and I totally agree. We all have chosen a profession that totally takes advantage of one thing. And that one thing is we love to "fly airplanes!" At some point in our lives we feel in love with it and its the one thing we all wanted to do in our lives.

Its different from Auto Workers Unions, Steel Unions, etc. etc. Many of them do the job because that all that they were able to do. How many of those guys grew up saying I wanted to be a Auto Worker, Salesman or a steel factory employee? Probably none of them.

Management takes advantage of the fact we love our job, and its the one thing that most of use wanted to do as a career. Most of us spent 30-50k learning to a job that we love to do, even if it pays 25k to start.

Maybe in the future more people will realize this is a deadend job and with a shortage of pilots comes more perks and opportunities.

Off to bed now, too many Grey Goose's on the rocks!

Last edited:
Again I will state- " I am not making fun of or calling my coworkers bad people." This is all about Compost management. Calling this place compost is calling it like it really is. This company not pilots are compost. AGAIN NOT THE PILOTS. As others have stated when you take the big ERJ and fly it on mainline routes you should be paid like a mainline pilot. Quack I don't need to finish training to have the right "spout" my mouth off. It was my right to complain and want change since my hire date. I guess you don't complain because you are happy flying the big erj for crappy wages and an even worse contract? Come on when will you all realize when people post on FI it isn't always about making fun of each other? It is all about telling the truth, and the truth is undeniable; COMPOST(the company, not the pilots) is horrible. It is no where near where the leading commuter airlines are. If you can't see that then you are disillusioned. I will continue to complain and I am sorry that offends you. Can't wait to fly with you maybe we can see eye to eye one day.

Listen i am not saying that this place is perfect by any means. you don't need to tell me whats wrong with the operations and problems we have. I've experienced them! If you thought the grass would be greener on the other side, you're quickly finding out that compass is no different than most regionals out there. crappy contract, mainline planes flown at turboprop rates, bad work rules, little vacation, captains flying more in the right seat than left, horrible management, and the list goes on. but name one regional that people are happy to be at right now. they ALL have their problems. i will never ever say that compass is "the" place to be, but you should've known that before coming here. I am not disagreeing with you, but calling it the worst regional out there is a bit much. you got your type, if it is that bad, go sit somewhere else. maybe you could be one of the furloughed comair guys, or a CA displacement at EXJet, waiting for a 8yr upgrade at QX, or wishing for a contract at PNCL. Believe me, i've been there, this is the 3rd regional for me and i'm convinced they're all the same in their own way.

What are the training issues?

Training is outsource to CAE. Since they are not Compass they have instructors that are not standardized since they instruct many airlines.
Since it is in YUL it is harder to get guys up there to instructor so the schedules are always in the air. It should take no more than 2 1/2 to 3 weeks to do everything up there. I was there 35+ days last year and heard that things are the same.

Sioux- agree that this company lacks leadership. Also that Compass management acts like a used car sales men and the amount of grievances has increased tremendously over the past few months because line guys are just fed up with the lack of knowledge by Chantilly on the contract.

So yes we know Compass is not great but we are trying to help improve that and look forward to working with you when you get on the line.

Everybody keeps talking about making changes and what not. How do we make changes to a contract that isn't amendable until 2013. I mean you can make suggestions on how to make small things change but at the same time, what significant ones can we do?

As for our contract, I have heard that they took all the contracts and basically took an average of them to make Compass's. It's weird as I know some people are excited as they leave behind worse contracts and for others, this is a step down really. Of course, if you came from a mainline, this will definitely be a drastic step down I would hope. Hope as in you were paid better at a mainline job.

If you truly plan on making changes, great, but I've been around too many people who just want to complain and never do anything about it. Oh well.

Everybody keeps talking about making changes and what not. How do we make changes to a contract that isn't amendable until 2013. I mean you can make suggestions on how to make small things change but at the same time, what significant ones can we do?

Ding, ding, ding!!! We have a winner!! People can whine and moan all they want but it's not going to change the contract we have. All we can do is make sure the contract we have now is enforced. In my experience Compass isn't willfully disregarding the contract, however there is a level of ignorance of the contract within the scheduling department. The best thing the average line pilot can do is know the contract.

As an aside, I haven't seen a whole lot of whining on line. There are always a few who will never be happy, but as a group Compass pilots seem to be very pragmatic and easy going.

Latest resources

Back