• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AA717driver

A simpler time...
Just taking a survey.

What is the preferred method for dissiminating (sp?) information to the pilots in your department?

Do you rely solely on email or does it get backed up with a phone call? If you have blackberries/text messages, is that reliable?

I'm to the point of volunteering to email AND phone everyone to make sure all parties get pertinent info.

Thanks in advance for your input.TC

I did a stint in corporate after my furlough. Two actually, one very bad, one pretty good. The "very bad" had a policy of voice mailing all and I mean all communication. I consider this in the same ballpark as an email. I don't check email all the time and I don't check voice mail all the time. Needless to say this caused problems (for me of course). A trip would come up and this bozo would voice mail me! He wouldn't call my house or cell phone to make sure I got the message, but actually leave a voice mail on a separate system for me to go retrieve. I guess what I am pointing out is to create a hierarchy of messages. How important is it? If someone is flying today or tomorrow they need to know now. CALL THEM. Email is mail. It gets written, sent, and, delivered. But when does it get read? If it is not urgent in nature you can email. If it absolutely positively must get through, make a phone call and email.

Just one man's opinion, your mileage may vary

Voicemail and e-mail.

However, my CP just bought a new convertible so all messages are now hand delivered to my front door.

I'm serious.:)

HMR said:
Voicemail and e-mail.

However, my CP just bought a new convertible so all messages are now hand delivered to my front door.

I'm serious.:)

Yeah, but you don't count. We throw out the high and low scores... ;) TC

BB's rule

BB's. Virtually EVERY employee in the flight department has one. I am not fond of the cell phone features of this unit, but the email is pretty hard to beat. Also EVERY employee has a company provided laptop and there is a dedicated web page broken down into the various aircraft sub-categories for our operations. Not much excuse for not getting the message in this flight department!

I get an e-mail with the schedule of upcoming flights, and a cell phone confirmation the day before the flight is to occur.

I fly charter and our schedule is posted online with a company webpage. We also call our scheduler every afternoon at 4:00 to verify our schedule for the next day.

CM

AA717driver said:
Just taking a survey.

What is the preferred method for dissiminating (sp?) information to the pilots in your department?

Do you rely solely on email or does it get backed up with a phone call? If you have blackberries/text messages, is that reliable?

I'm to the point of volunteering to email AND phone everyone to make sure all parties get pertinent info.

Thanks in advance for your input.TC

Good post,

We dont get anything. We have a cell phone but dispatch doesnt call. We never know our schedule. A BB wouldnt help because dispatch would still need to call or send the message.

Bottom line? A good dispatcher is hard to find. I call every day but sometimes they still dont tell you what is going on.

Interesting topic... If you have someone reliable doing your scheduling, the blackberry is hard to beat. Our schedulers e-mail our trip sheets in .pdf form and e-mail us any other information. I would recommend using Verizon for the service provider as I have Cingular and haven't been that impressed so far.

Would anyone have a suggestion as to a good software for blackberry that allows viewing of .pdf files ???

We all have cell phones the company pays for. Called the afternoon before most of the time for a trip. Real simple.

Latest resources

Back