Comair's got a T.A.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here we go...

Guys , I know it's easy for me to sit here at ASA where my job isn't being threatened (yet!) and armchair quarterback, but if this TA takes you to the bottom of the regional payscale, tell them to stuff it. Now that airlines are hurting for pilots, if you sign a crap contract, you won't be able to attract pilots and Comair will die anyway. ASA is in the same boat right now, after 4 years of negotiations, people have correctly figured out that it makes NO sense to go to ASA when other airlines with faster upgrades and better QOL are HURTING for pilots. Why would a new hire choose to go to Comair with a freshly signed crap contract or ASA with an 8 year old crap contract, both with 4+ year upgrade times, when they can go to SkyWest, ExpressJet, CHQ, ect. and have a better QOL and a 2 year upgrade? I know I won't be the one on the street if no deal is made but would it really be worth it to keep Comair alive if it was only to become the next Mesa? And oh, by the way, their contract is amendable very shortly so they may actually end up better off than Comair if this TA stinks as bad as I imagine it's going to... Just my 2 cents...

I can't wait for the ASA pilots to see the terms of this deal. Maybe then they will realize they need to "get real" and take what we are offering to be competitive with the rest of the industry. And then I should get a nice modest bonus for my efforts :)

Interviewed and waiting for the call

I recently interviewed and am waiting for the call. I asked them about the cuts, and the 15 planes sent to SKwest. Hr said no problem, and the Captain just looked at me and said nothing. So I go or should I let the door hit me in the ass on the way out?

It's premature to comment on the TA since it hasn't even been released yet. Seriously, I'm sure that you guys who don't work at Comair have good intentions, but it's really not appropriate to comment when you don't even know what the TA says.

Maybe we're all getting a 10% raise and the company will say "sorry, practical joke gone bad, can you forgive us?". That's possible, right?

Or maybe it's a piece of poo, and we'll vote it down.

Same old story. This reminds me of Mesaba a few months ago. We will never strike. Management knows this. They call our bluff and block it in the courts. Until a pilot group actually strikes and defies a judge, we have no negotiating power and the airline knows that. We always end up bending over and agreeing to a disgraceful paycut. Inflation does not go backwards so neither should any of our paychecks. Pilots are the dumbest ********************ing professionals on the planet. You talk about a pilot shortage coming up. There's no shortage. The regionals will just low the minimums to about 300 hours total time. That is what they did before 2001. Why would this time be any different? Then they will put out articles saying how now is a good time to get into aviation, and people will switch careers. One thing these companies will not do is raise the pay. This industry sucks.

I recently interviewed and am waiting for the call. I asked them about the cuts, and the 15 planes sent to SKwest. Hr said no problem, and the Captain just looked at me and said nothing. So I go or should I let the door hit me in the ass on the way out?

I just talked to a friend who interviewed. He said they told him Comair was getting -900s. In my opinion, it's disingenuous to tell new hires that, as that information is unknowable except for the executives who make those decisions at Delta, and I don't think they are sharing that information with Comair HR. Comair may or may not get more airplanes, but you can't say everything will be rosy when you just don't know.

It seems to me that an agreement would be in effect for say four years with four more years of negotiating for a new contract. Whereas voting down this TA would lead us to similiar concessions that we can begin fighting against as soon as we exit bankruptcy. Looking at maybe four years after bankruptcy versus eight years on a b.s. contract. Am I wrong on this one? What am I missing? Who would vote for this piece of sh*t anyway. Concessions when we made money... WTF!!!!

Take the job while immediately trying to get a job at Skywest or Chatauqua. Whatever you do, do not stay at Comair unless you will like living on food stamps with no option of upgrading.

on the other hand, I could see Comair dangling some -900s in front of them if they take concessions.

No need to dangle anything in front of us. They have federal law backing them to force concessions. We WILL be taking concessions one way or another thanks to the bankruptcy judge.

Maybe managements only incentive to come to an agreement with us is to prolong our concessions and prevent us from fighting back when Delta exits bankruptcy in a few months. Either that or labor groups under concessionary contracts are a requirement dictated from the buyer of Comair.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back