Comair vs. ACA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AFELLOWAVIATOR

What the hell makes you think that Delta wants Comair ASA ACA or Skywest to fly any of the routes under Delta.

AFELLOWAVIATOR

You've callled contract carrier pilots morons, idiots, and bottom feeders and you wonder why people are pis*ed at you??!?! Then you go on to say how you're just repeating what you've heard from other Comair pilots..ie crew room bs.

You feel pretty stongly about other airlines flying your routes which is understandable but how is that something an ACA pilot can control. Would you like us to walk out and demand the flying be returned to a Delta owned carrier. As far as I'm concerned as long as your company is not shrinking then the net effect is still a positive one. If you guys had to furlough while ACA walked away with your routes then you've got a legitimate issue. Of course, upgrades may take longer through all of this but at least no one is on the street.

If you're 'really not a bad guy' then perhaps you should stop calling your fellow pilots idiot and morons for doing what they love to do.:D

cjf9679

Thats it? Thats all you could come up with??? Your statement has nothing to do with the subject. In case you did not hear , Delta bought ASA and Comair.

Is the fact that we do not want contract carriers doing Delta system flying surprise you? Any of you? Is this a huge shock????????????

My god! This thread was about a person wanting input about going to COMAIR or aca. I gave my opinion. You know, contracts end, and as soon as we have enough jets and pilots, yours will end. I simply pointed out that aca is a contract carrier, and COMAIR is not.

AIRBOARD,

Actually, first, AV8TOR told me to "shut up" then RJPILOTT called me a "moron". And I never used the term "bottom feeder". I did use the term "moron" and "idiot", but this was in respnse to the idiotic post they made.

My opinions are based on fact, and I was attacked for posting them on this board. Go read my first post on this thread, I was responding to a person who was trying to decide between aca and Comair.

These kids get a little defensive. Maybe they never thought that we DO NOT WANT CONTRACT CARRIERS DOING DELTA SYSTEM FLYING, AND ALL FUTURE CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS AT COMAIR, ASA, AND DELTA WILL PARTLY FOCUS ON ELIMINATING ALL CONTRACT FLYING.

The company plans to do this at some time, and they will use contract carriers as a bargainibg chip, but you will be gone at some time, sooner better than later.

Do I dislike contract pilots? Hell no. It is just business.

And by the way, aca+1% is what they offered, not what we accepted.
We actually got more. Then you factor in the company funded retirement, and our contract is way above aca's

Last edited:
AFELLOWAVIATOR is JimboRealGoodPilot in disguise!!

My freinds at CMR tell me it was settled at 2-3%.......and at that for 70 seat pay. ACA only runs the 50 seaters. What a gap. BTW, we have 11 REAL days off minimum, golden days. My freinds at CMR also tell me that some of CMR's 11 off minimum that you can be called out. Sounds like reserve to me. In any case, they still seem happy, so CMR must not be a bad place to be.

ANNNNNNDDDDD......I really, really think AFELLOWAVIATOR is JimboRealGoodPilot back in disguise. Y'all remember him----the guy who used to krap with a "k".....
I have come to this conclusion because nobody could be this ignorant and bitter. Maybe you should change your name to ISOLATEDBITTERAVIATOR.
BTW, I'll bet anything that the "many, many" FO's who told you they liked flying with you were on probation and said whilst you were filling out their report card....
And, let's grow up and stop this babytalk about whose airline is better than whose. Go to the major airline board. Notice something missing? YES!! Immaturity is conspicuously silent!! Daggone, let's act like big kids.

Oh, BTW, Anaconda...didn't I tell you about 2 months ago to get that army stuff off your profile? Jarheads rule! LOL

Last edited:
To all those interested:

I'm not that bright and I'll probably prove this fact more than once during this post.

These kids get a little defensive. Maybe they never thought that we DO NOT WANT CONTRACT CARRIERS DOING DELTA SYSTEM FLYING, AND ALL FUTURE CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS AT COMAIR, ASA, AND DELTA WILL PARTLY FOCUS ON ELIMINATING ALL CONTRACT FLYING.

An understandable concept. But really not what ALPA is envisioning in the future for "regionals" as RPTrain quoted from the ALPA newsletter. But, how do you, CMR and ASA, negotiate around the bargaining chip (we contract carriers) DAL will use against you when Ma Delta manipulates your business model at will to make it less indebted? Being wholly owned has both advantages and disadvantages that are dependent on many things, but the economy comes to mind as having the most influence.

Basically, SkyWest, ACA, Chautauqua are in the DAL system for at least three reasons: 1) Cost; 2) Cross integration to prevent the financial devastation CMR brought to DAL when they struck and basically closed CVG; and 3) Need.

So, as mainlines figure out strategies to become profitable and play "regionals" against each other to benefit their bottom line, how do we "regional" pilots strategize in solidarity to improve our careers (e.g. QOL, pay, benefits, retirement) and secure (as much as can be in this industry) our futures?

Tailwinds...

AFELLOWAVIATOR Hall of Shame

Let's look back on what this stalwart individual has contributed over the past couple of months.

posted 9/17/02:
I fully support the RJDC and hope we bankrupt that pathetic union.
We all have seen lately how much he cares for pilots outside of the Delta "family." I wonder just how much Delta mainline folks share his warm and fuzzy "we are family" mantra.

posted on 9/25/02:
You people folded after just 10 months of negotiations while we were fighting for our lives to get a great contract for 3 plus years. ACA pilots did nothing to raise the bar, and as far as I am concerned, are a bunch of sell outs.

And this SKYWEST pilot is upset at me for being mean to his ACA buds. Well, Skywest is even worst than ACA. They refuse to unionize, so pilots like us have to do all the hard work, like strike, so skywest pilots can benifit.
compare that with what he writes in his last post:
Do I dislike contract pilots? Hell no. It is just business.
It seems you can't win with AFELLOWAVIATOR. Either you're a bum for associating with ALPA, the "pathetic union," or you're a bum for being non-union like Skywest.

Delta bought Comair in January of 2000. AFELLOWAVIATOR, here's a direct question for you: were you hired by Comair before 01/00? If the answer is yes, you had better shut up before you make any more of a fool of yourself. Even if you were hired after 01/00, they way you want to pull up the ladder behind you is despicable. Delta buys your company, so now you have an inalienable, God-given right to all of the system flying? Wake up and smell the new, new economy. ACA is not a bunch of whores you have jumped into bed with Delta. ACA is a top-notch airline with fantasic pilots, a leading contract (disputing that it's anything below #3 is pure folly), and a niche airplane that meets Delta's needs. You've proven yourself to be nothing but an elitist snob.

And as for "My opinions are based on fact," you've been proven quite wrong in the past. Remember the thread about operational performace figures for the Delta Connection carriers? The only "facts" I've ever seen you post are heresay and innuendo.

acatery,

The 70 seater pays 12% more than the 50 seater.

My my, I have struck a nerve..... Been told to shut up, been called a moron..... and you people call me rude????Fact is, YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH..(thats from a movie)

Well, enjoy the 30 dci aircraft while you can. Ever wonder why Delta will not grow your fleet? Because your days are numbered as a DCI carrier. No, not because you can't get any more dojets. I know the truth hurts, and I really did not expect this childish behavior, but I did hear a lot of young pilots fly for aca.

I threw no insults when I got in this thread, you people did.

AFELLOWAVIATOR originally wrote:

"When I first read the question, my response was " what kind of question was that?" But then I realized that some one in your position, being on the out side looking in, most likely would not have the prospective that some one who has been in the industry for a while has."

That doesn't seem particuilarly hostile to me.

He also wrote:

"In my opinion, ACA would be the wrong choice by a long shot. And here is why. ACA is a contract carrier. Comair is a wholly owned. With all the aircraft we have on order, it is just a matter of time until the contract carriers at Delta will be gone. Leo Mullin, the CEO of Delta, wanted to get as much market share with the RJ as fast as he could while the aircraft is still fairly new to the market. So, until he can fill the market with his own jets, he is using contract carriers."

One man's opinion but not derogatory or contemptuous towards anyone.

Also:

"Our contract is better, and ACA pilots have little chance of improving theirs in the future. Why? The pilot group at ACA did not show any desire to have an industry leading contract. Why do I say that? They basically folded after just 10 months of talks, when the average section 8 talks take 3+ years. That was there choice, and I am only stating facts. As a contract carrier, it is true that the company does has less to offer, so maybe they were correct in there stance."

Maybe a little holier than thou and probably a bit controversial but, again, not really hostile.

And finally:

"Being at Comair for eight years, I can say the company is top notch, and if you would like, I will fax you parts of our contract if it will help you.

Thank You"

Seems pretty helpful to me. Why is everyone so pissed at this guy? You may disagree with his position but he didn't start the personal attacks on this thread.

Afellowaviator

If you did not feel threatened by ACA you would not care.

Do you not think Delta guys don't care that you took over many of there routes.

Do you think that they aren't upset some of their brothers are on food stamps while Comair is hiring.

Delta guys aren't stupid.

I hear alot of Comair pilots talk about this great contract that will allow Comair pilots to flow through to Delta under one seniority list. I also here how Delta will phase out ACA, Chautauqua, and American Eagle as soon as ASA and Comair can handle it. Get real. Delta is a good old boys club. The thought of ex-military pilots starting at Comair instead of Delta makes them cringe. They would much rather see there military brothers then guys who took their flying and caused many of them to be furloghed. If this contract did happen Comairs profit margin would start to shrink. Eventually Comair and ASA would be in the same boat as American Eagle.

The bottom line is ACA makes money. There will always be air carriers who want to use us to make them some cash. We are not worried.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back