Comair vs. ACA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

captainv

OK everyone, I'd appreciate your input on this....

I've been accepted by Comair and ACA but haven't been given dates yet. it sounds like comair will take much longer to get a class, although i'd get the CRJ vs. probably a J-41 at ACA. (not a snob thing, but most of my experience is with jets, whereas i've only looked inside a King Air a few times).

should i worry about which is better long-term or just take the first job that comes to me?

Do a search + look for threads 2-3months old or more. This topic has been discussed thoroughly many times on this board

Why do you think you would get the J41 at ACA? They are hiring into all 3 aircraft types (CRJ, J41, and D328J). From what I have seen, more folks are going into the CRJ than anything else.

Wait for whichever one works out best for you. Choose by quality of life issues.....what location works best for you, what kind of contract does each have, etc.. Dont go to one or the other because they called first. Go where you most want, or you may regret it later.

Where do you want to live?

ACA has more pilot bases than Comair...I can't remember them all...maybe a Blue Ridger could chime in here. I think they are: BOS, LGA, DCA, ORD & CVG. Comair has one pilot base in CVG and is (to the best of my knowledge) opening one sometime next year in Dallas, TX. Commuting is NOT fun (especially for reserve) but if you have to live somewhere other than an available base, you should consider which company offers the closest domicile. Your significant other will thank you and you'll get to enjoy spending your time off AT home rather than trying to GET home :)

At any rate, best of luck with your decision. You're in a good spot!

Treetop

Which one you like best?

If you had to choose between CMR and ACA today, and the A/C is not a factor (Cuz, taking from your experience you might end up flying Jets @ ACA anyway), If you could take your pick, and they both call and both say come to training Monday "x" of such month; which would you choose.

Do you have a favorite? if so, which will it be, ok, so you found one, now think that the one u like best is going to make you wait 1 week longer, is it still worth it? and keep going untill you find where is the balance.

Which one has more of the things you are looking for in an airline and how long are you willing to wait for them.

On the other hand, think that you are in a really good place to be at with todays economy, most people don't have 1 job offer, you have two. So either dessision is a good one, they are both good regionals, minor differences, see if those differences are big enough for you to chose between one or the other.

:D Now on a more selfish note, if you interviewd at Comair between March and June, I think you should go to ACA:p , If you interviewd between July and today.... then Im fine, stay at Comair!!! JK

:D LOL

Rich!

I have to disagree with Beavis above about not giving weight to the first one who offers you a class date. It's such a major cliche and you've all heard it before, but I'll say it anyway: "Seniority is everything". Both are great airlines so you can't go wrong either way. I agree with Treetop that if you have a real preference for domicile I'd probably put that above seniority. ACA domiciles are now IAD, ORD, CVG and BOS. LGA closes next month.

And from what I know of our hiring process, you'll probably get the CRJ with your experience. Good luck with the decision!

When I first read the question, my response was " what kind of question was that?" But then I realized that some one in your position, being on the out side looking in, most likely would not have the prospective that some one who has been in the industry for a while has.

In my opinion, ACA would be the wrong choice by a long shot. And here is why. ACA is a contract carrier. Comair is a wholly owned. With all the aircraft we have on order, it is just a matter of time until the contract carriers at Delta will be gone. Leo Mullin, the CEO of Delta, wanted to get as much market share with the RJ as fast as he could while the aircraft is still fairly new to the market. So, until he can fill the market with his own jets, he is using contract carriers.

Our contract is better, and ACA pilots have little chance of improving theirs in the future. Why? The pilot group at ACA did not show any desire to have an industry leading contract. Why do I say that? They basically folded after just 10 months of talks, when the average section 8 talks take 3+ years. That was there choice, and I am only stating facts. As a contract carrier, it is true that the company does has less to offer, so maybe they were correct in there stance.

Being at Comair for eight years, I can say the company is top notch, and if you would like, I will fax you parts of our contract if it will help you.

Thank You

what was that??? all i heard was "blah blah blah blah blah." Here we go again, someone is bashing on an airline. Good Luck in here buddy!
:eek:

sorry, i cant take this guy anymore. Not that i am defending our contract or putting it down. But we negotiated 10 months for our contract. Comair negotiated 3 years AND went on strike only to settle for ACA+1%. That is only pay. Everything else Comair fought for, for so long, is on par with ACA QOL. Also, we STILL can pick up our phone on days off and tell Scheduling to pound sand if they ask us to fly a trip. Who got the better deal? Why are WE responsible for YOUR contract? I mean hell, you guys fought for so long. Why did you dump it short? Perhaps if ACA pilots get Comair+1% on our next negotiations we can blame Comair pilots for "selling out" on such a short strike. I mean if you're gonna do it, DO IT RIGHT... right? But no, i wont take that stance, nor will the majority of 1700 other ACA pilots cause we have class and respect our "Fellow aviators". We even wrote checks out of our own pockets for our FELLOWAVIATORS in support of their efforts. AFELLOWAVIATOR, you're not much of "a fellow aviator". Our contract was industry leading at the time. Did we hold out and break the mold like UAL pilots did? No. We also didnt furlough one pilot. Matter of fact, i think we hired about 300 so far and still hiring strong. Upgrades are going as little as 6 months. This all in the face of Dornier going bankrupt and UAL on the verge of doing the same. Imagine if Comair was faced with the same. I would imagine you would be an FO again or close to it. I have a few buddies at Comair, have met many Comair pilots that were very professional and pleasant. Im glad you seem to be the exception at Comair rather than the norm with your "chip-on-the-shoulder" attitude. Get a grip bud.

As for the original question. ACA or Comair are both great airlines with similar contracts. If its money you're looking for, I made 45K my second full year as an FO at ACA. I didnt pick up much open time. Most of my pick up's were to cover trips i had dropped. Hosed CoEx put it well. Good luck with your choice.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back