• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comair to XJ...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As a courtesy, this is what ALPA has done?
Alpa doesn't hire, nor can they really protect you until after probation.

Exactly what would you like them to do? They could offer an LOA to bring some senority. We have/had one with 9E before. You still have to meet hiring minimums and interview though. These are typically VERY protracted negotiations and at a cost to the current pilot group. I seriously doubt we could achieve this with EVERY airline out there though.

Be realistic. People are losing there jobs... it sucks. We as pilots have NO control over it. We have felt it at XJ before, I'm sure we will again. We are all in this together and XJ pilots will help where/when we can. But blaming us for what your/DAL management is doing is asinine.

Take care of your family, take care of your friends, look out for the guy/gal next to you, these are seriously tough economic times and we are all feeling the burden somehow. But don't get wrapped up in my airline is better that yours. It's all about timing in this industry.

Peace Out

Last edited:
I'm guessing most of these guys are moaning about the FO payscales. Yes for 900 and even 200 fo's we are below average thanks to the "blended payscale" However the Saab fo's are well above industry average. Of course nobody wants to mention that... Personally I think the blended payscale is a lousy deal, but that boat sailed in 96 when I was still in college. Getting that removed was a priority in the 2004 contract until the screwjob whipsaw of buying Big Sky and threatening to give all the flying to them came along. Priorities shifted to scope being a bigger deal (and proved its worth during the scam bankruptcy). Also everyone forgets while Comair was voluntarily giving up pay in the hope of getting E170's (that ended up at Shuttle America anyway) Mesaba did NOT give ANYTHING up to get awarded the 20 CRJ-200s back in 2005. Granted thanks to the scam bankruptcy we never got 18 of those. Not to mention the pay cuts we took were forced because of a crooked judge and judicial system. We did keep almost everything in the work rules and got the snapback provisions on our pay (which are taking effect right now)
Remeber our pay + workrules (while still far from perfect) still would beat the crap off of Mesa Pay +$10 and their workrules.....

I am a Mesaba guy and have no beef what so ever with the Comair pilot group as a whole. During your strike I gladly sent in my check. I didn't walk with you guys because I wasn't in CVG, but I did walk with some Comair folks during our suedo strike. I was an FO at the time but the Captain I was with gladly accepted the Comair guy that wanted the jumpseat even though the company put out a memo saying that we were not allowed to have Comair sit in the jump during their strike. Every one of them was and is a good guy...and gal.

nice try though drag queen....so stick your head back down your sisters pants...

Price of FI.......$10
time it takes to read this useless thread......3 minutes
Being told to stick your head back down your sisters pants.........Priceless!
Snap gets post of the year!:laugh:

Myself and many of my friends were hired at Mesaba after being recently furloughed from Comair. I know our MEC had a loosely set up preferential INTERVIEW agreement with the Mesaba MEC. I do not think it was preferential hiring, I know several Comair pilots that interviewed, but were not hired... and several that applied, but got rejected.

Despite some pre-disposed opinions floating around about Comair pilots, everyone I know that has been hired in the last few weeks are great folks and will make a great addition to the Mesaba team. Myself and all of them are very greatful toward Mesaba and their MEC for making this possible.

Too bad your airline's pay scale dosn't match up to your "high standards" and your safety record that has no equal as you say. I hope when your contract negotiations start you'll remember to bring that up. I'm sure the hundreds of furloghed comair pilots or ASA pilots who see the propect of a furlough just over the horizon who fought for years to get what they have love hearing you gloat how your airline with substandard pay is better than everyone else's airline. Who are the tools again?

All I can say is that we have hired Comair pilots as well as pilots from many other airlines. The attitude that a person is owed a job because they worked for somebody else in the past is just B.S. As far as history and what one group has done to advance the industry vs another you might like to check comairs past. For those that have been flying for more than a few years, you will remember that Comair lead the way with pay for training for years and years. How much harm did that do to the industry? Some might remember that......unless you were in grade school then........or not even born. The industry has had these ups and downs forever, and XJ has been on both sides. When XJ was growing and Express was shrinking, we took on many of their pilots. When the tables were reversed, they did not return the favor. All our "growth" has returned us to about the number of pilots we were at 10 years ago. Who were you flying for 10 years ago?

All I can say is that we have hired Comair pilots as well as pilots from many other airlines. The attitude that a person is owed a job because they worked for somebody else in the past is just B.S. As far as history and what one group has done to advance the industry vs another you might like to check comairs past. For those that have been flying for more than a few years, you will remember that Comair lead the way with pay for training for years and years. How much harm did that do to the industry? Some might remember that......unless you were in grade school then........or not even born. The industry has had these ups and downs forever, and XJ has been on both sides. When XJ was growing and Express was shrinking, we took on many of their pilots. When the tables were reversed, they did not return the favor. All our "growth" has returned us to about the number of pilots we were at 10 years ago. Who were you flying for 10 years ago?

The Attitude that someone is owed a job is almost as bad as the attitude of "my airline is better than yours" or "our safety record has no equal." By the way, I was in grade school back then and I still have all my hair, I am not overweight, and look damn good.

Right here is a growing problem of ALPA cheerleaders. We hear people saying "ALPA should get involved" for what ever reason.
But then you have ALPA chest thumpers sit there say "Well, ALPA can't help us on that".....Then WTF are we paying our dues towards?

ALPA can solve all problems. I heard Prater manadated that gas prices should be $1.38 instead of $3.88, and within a month--it was so!

ALPA is worth my dues money.

You still work for a company that is about 1 rung up from the other "M" airline--get over yourself!

You still work for a company that is about 1 rung up from the other "M" airline--get over yourself!

Do you have a point, or are you just being confused by the facts? Good work rules, comparable pay, long history in the industry. Periods of growth and furloughs. Contract negotiations and bankruptcy. Ups and downs like nearly every airline over time. For some I think it's the first downturn in the industry that they have seen. Talk to some of those pilots that might not be as pretty as Cessnaman, and maybe a little less hair. You guys might learn something from history. Then again maybe not.

I'm trying to figure out how XJ is the bad guy? Is it because we have not hired everybody that has applied?

As far as how you feel XJ ranks in the big picture, I couldn't care less. Don't come here if you don't like it. I'm sure we'll get along just fine.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back