Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comair to become the "whore of the industry"!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DrewBlows said:
Doesn't furloughing 200+ pilots save money as well? Figure 200x$20,000 (conservative). That's $4,000,000. Which means that the remaining pilots are only responsable for aproximately $7,800 each. Fuzzy math? I don't know, but in this senario it appears that those with the most to lose are at the bottom of the list (losing $20,000). I'm not sure what my point is. Maybe I should become an accountant.
Can anyone in this industry afford to lost $7800? That would mean I'd be taking home about $1k a month after taxes! Sweet. Jack In The Box must have a 401K plan that I will be able to invest in........

Yes i'm from CVG (although I no longer live there) and no, I dont know anyone named Morvik.

RJP - Nobody can "afford" to write a $7800 check, but in case you haven't noticed the industry has changed a bit over the last 5 years. Thousands upon thousands of airline pilots have lost six-figure jobs. Captains were downgraded to first officers and THEN gave concessions amounting to tens of thousands of dollars. 30 year retirement plans were terminated leaving 60 year-old men with $20,000/yr "pension". Meanwhile the DC9s, 737-200s, F100s, F28s, etc these folks were flying were quietly replaced with CRJs, ERJs, CR7s, CR9s, E170s, and now E190s...flown by pilots from other companies.

"Fair" went out the window a long time ago. The good news? Most of those hired at Comair in recent years are relatively young and able to start-over (if they choose to remain in aviation). The older you get, the harder it is to pick up the pieces.

For those of you who are members of Kit Darby's little organization, the Dec 03 and Sept 04 issues of his magazine have good articles regarding furlough planning and furlough recovery. I think they're archived on his website.

I know this is a bitter pill to swallow. I've been there before. I wish you and your families the best of luck during this difficult time.

yea, what does "Whore" have anything to with the entire issue?

you are an idiot, if anything we all trying survive. not just Comair.

you probably are the one calling airline pilots like Mesa's pilots Scabs, which hasn't anything to with anything.

grow up.

wait and see what happens like everyone else.

Does it not occur to anyone that the Comair pilots have no say in the matter? They are in bankruptcy, an their contract will be decimated at will by the judge.

Watch your choice of words, arthur.

I actually agree with 737 Pylt!!! :D

Last edited:
You do have a say so in this matter! We at Piedmont have been there and done that with the US Airways thinggy!! But this is gonna be a time when you feel you have a loaded gun at your head. If you feel your getting screwed to hard, don't close your eyes and wait for them to pull the trigger. Open your eyes and reach up and grab that gun, Put it up Deltas a$$ and begin firing unil you've emptied the whole clip. Then reload and continue process. :)
Seriously First Comair needs to keep a really good relationship with your Alpa brothers the ASA's pilot group. Since you two are Wo's Delta will try and play you two. Example-- First group to sign off on a concessionary contract (Pilots, FA, and Mechs) will be getting all the new stuff and growing when we exit Chpt 11. Don't fall that that bullsh$t and you and ASA stand strong together.
When they start to neg. your contract, don't be sooooo worried about the pay scales some much. Try and first retain your working contracts rules. Keep the Block or Better, Min. Day, Vaction, etc, etc. Keeping your work rules while taking a hit in pay won't be as bad.
Try and get out of there as painful as you can go. If Delta slaps a crappy contract then say no way... And roll your chances with the Bankrupt Judge!!! This is like stroking a pit bull however. You just don't know if your hands gonna get torn off!!!
Anyways Goodluck!!!! This next couple of years will be tuff....

WSurf said:
You do have a say so in this matter! We at Piedmont have been there and done that with the US Airways thinggy!! But this is gonna be a time when you feel you have a loaded gun at your head. If you feel your getting screwed to hard, don't close your eyes and wait for them to pull the trigger. Open your eyes and reach up and grab that gun, Put it up Deltas a$$ and begin firing unil you've emptied the whole clip. Then reload and continue process. :)
Seriously First Comair needs to keep a really good relationship with your Alpa brothers the ASA's pilot group. Since you two are Wo's Delta will try and play you two. Example-- First group to sign off on a concessionary contract (Pilots, FA, and Mechs) will be getting all the new stuff and growing when we exit Chpt 11. Don't fall that that bullsh$t and you and ASA stand strong together.
When they start to neg. your contract, don't be sooooo worried about the pay scales some much. Try and first retain your working contracts rules. Keep the Block or Better, Min. Day, Vaction, etc, etc. Keeping your work rules while taking a hit in pay won't be as bad.
Try and get out of there as painful as you can go. If Delta slaps a crappy contract then say no way... And roll your chances with the Bankrupt Judge!!! This is like stroking a pit bull however. You just don't know if your hands gonna get torn off!!!
Your information is a little out of date. ASA is not a Delta Wholly Owned any more. Delta sold ASA to Skywest several weeks ago. Just a heads up for ya there....

Comair is Delta's only wo now.

WSurf, I agree that the work rules are important to keep. It will be much easier to keep them if we already have them when the next contract negotiations come around. Just a heads up though, ASA is a wholly owned, but their parent company is called Skywest not Delta. So the competition (perceived anyway) is between Comair, Mesa, and Chautauqua (Mesaba, Pinnicle?).

WSurf said:

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sioux115 said:
Horizon got their's just before 9-11 aswell. The effective date is actually 9-13-01. Much of the pay was based on comair. It should be interesting next sept. when our contract comes up for negotiation.

I dunno, maybe you guys should take 3 or 4 years to stall negotiations the way George and Ford & Harrison did on your first contract. By then who knows, the industry may be headed in a better direction. They can't force you to negotiate pay decreases expeditiously (unless they file BK).

Latest resources

Back