Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comair to become the "whore of the industry"!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

kngarthur

Last Thursday, Delta had its first big court hearing. In addition to getting their $2.2 billion DIP
loan approved, Delta received bankruptcy court approval to affirm the ASA and Skywest
Connection Carrier Agreements. What does this mean? First it means that Skywest’s existing 56
CRJ-200 aircraft in SLC are secure from any modifications. Also, ASA’s 104 CRJ-200, 35 CRJ-
700 aircraft and 37 growth CRJ-700 shells are now firm and non-cancelable. The affirmation now
ties up over 50% of the current Delta Connection capacity. That leaves Chautauqua, Mesa and
Comair as the outlet for any surplus small jet units that will be removed from the network. Thus
far it looks like Comair is losing aircraft; however, their management is working hard to restructure
their high labor costs to “re-tool” Comair into a much lower cost regional carrier. They are
seeking labor rate and work rule concessions that will lower their employment costs below what
Mesa currently pays. And Mesa rates are already 5%-7% below our current employment costs.​

What a shame! The airline whose pilots began a radical leap in regional payscales, now possibly becoming the lowest paid once again. I don't think it will happen, but who knows? I would like to have seen where the regionals pay would have gone if it were not for 9-11 which occured only a couple months after Comairs new contract. The only other regional that I know of to sign a new contract in that time was AWAC which was on THE day the event occured, and it looked pretty good!

Horizon got their's just before 9-11 aswell. The effective date is actually 9-13-01. Much of the pay was based on comair. It should be interesting next sept. when our contract comes up for negotiation.

kngarthur said:
Last Thursday, Delta had its first big court hearing. In addition to getting their $2.2 billion DIP
loan approved, Delta received bankruptcy court approval to affirm the ASA and Skywest
Connection Carrier Agreements. What does this mean? First it means that Skywest’s existing 56
CRJ-200 aircraft in SLC are secure from any modifications. Also, ASA’s 104 CRJ-200, 35 CRJ-
700 aircraft and 37 growth CRJ-700 shells are now firm and non-cancelable. The affirmation now
ties up over 50% of the current Delta Connection capacity. That leaves Chautauqua, Mesa and
Comair as the outlet for any surplus small jet units that will be removed from the network. Thus
far it looks like Comair is losing aircraft; however, their management is working hard to restructure
their high labor costs to “re-tool” Comair into a much lower cost regional carrier. They are
seeking labor rate and work rule concessions that will lower their employment costs below what
Mesa currently pays. And Mesa rates are already 5%-7% below our current employment costs.

Actually no. Comair is looking to save 17.3 million from the pilot group, which will put the payrates for CMR right around an XJ, ASA rates.

Assuming they get all 17.3 million (the judge will be hard-pressed to agree to all of it) --- 17.3 mill / 1700 pilots (after the furlough/attrition) is around $10,000 reduction per pilot.

Thats straight compensation. It assumes no workrule, retirement, vacation, per-diem, etc. The actual number will likely come in much less.

I agree that recently Comair's contract was something that was above par for most reginals. However, not to rain on the Comair parade, it seems that once again many have very short memories. Anybody else wonder how much Comair set the industry back by being one of the first and largest PFT companies around? Years of PFT, then the same PFT pilots wonder why it is so difficult to attain and keep those industry leading rates. Granted they quit PFT a while back, but many, if not most of the senior captains were among those who dropped the big check. Hopefully it all works out for all the guys at Comair, but I still find it hard to look at Comair as the great inspiration for regionals holding the bar when the bar was held down for years by hiring based on the ability of the new hire to pay the company for the privelage of working.

Last edited:
whores??

kngarthur said:
Mesa currently pays. And Mesa rates are already 5%-7% below our current employment costs.

Just curious.....Why would a court imposed paycut make cmr pilots whores??
Just asking here because my thoughts are that the title of this thread is a little off base??!!

BenderGonzales said:
Assuming they get all 17.3 million (the judge will be hard-pressed to agree to all of it) --- 17.3 mill / 1700 pilots (after the furlough/attrition) is around $10,000 reduction per pilot.

Thats straight compensation. It assumes no workrule, retirement, vacation, per-diem, etc. The actual number will likely come in much less.

Doesn't furloughing 200+ pilots save money as well? Figure 200x$20,000 (conservative). That's $4,000,000. Which means that the remaining pilots are only responsable for aproximately $7,800 each. Fuzzy math? I don't know, but in this senario it appears that those with the most to lose are at the bottom of the list (losing $20,000). I'm not sure what my point is. Maybe I should become an accountant.

Sioux115 said:
Horizon got their's just before 9-11 aswell. The effective date is actually 9-13-01. Much of the pay was based on comair. It should be interesting next sept. when our contract comes up for negotiation.

Don't forget that we are not in the same boat as Comair and all the other regionals that have all their eggs on one basket depending on bankrupt mainline. We aren't going to get shaft as some people would like to think.

Latest resources

Back