Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JECKEL

God's Own Drunk
Since the announcement reducing it's fleet to 44 aircraft, Comair's junior pilots have hit the street running and have secured jobs elsewhere more quickly that management had anticipated. Comair is having great difficultly manning their cockpits and are now returning flight time to the DCI pot.
A displacement bid went out this week forcing 70 captains back to the right seat in an effort to keep with the fleeing First Officers who have gotten jobs at JetBlue and other carriers.
Comair still has pilots on it's furlough list but have stated that the training costs for those pilots (if any came back) would be too high. It would be cheaper to fill the void with displaced captains and return more flying to DCI this summer.
As pilots continue to leave Comair for other endeavors it appears that replacements will only come from within in the form of displaced captains. The airline will get smaller and smaller and smaller. Comair no longer has to worry whether Delta will close the doors . . . they appear to be closing it themselves.

What did I read about the industry leading contract after the 2000 strike?

Ouch......I feel for the Comair pilots. Hopefully they can move on to greener pastures before the ship is finally underwater for good.

You say it as if they should be ashamed for getting the best paying contract they could. Be more specific in your snide remarks. Belittle for reasons other than a leading regional contract. Many benefited from that contract's rates in their own battles. RJDC....PFT....not a great regional contract.

You say it as if they should be ashamed for getting the best paying contract they could. Be more specific in your snide remarks. Belittle for reasons other than a leading regional contract. Many benefited from that contract's rates in their own battles. RJDC....PFT....not a great regional contract.

You should be PROUD of an industry leading contract when you work for the same company who's name is painted on the plane. All an "industry leading" contract for a subcontractor does for you is give you "high fives" or "beers at the bar" from other lower paid subcontractor pilots whose companies eventually take over your flying due to being cheaper and leading to you losing your Captain's seat or job.

This is no joke. Ask Comair or Horizon pilots....

I think 777 above answered it correctly. The contract was done outside of economic reality. Management was forced to accept a contract that may bite them in the future, but it was better than going out of business in 2000. UAW figured this out with GM a couple years ago also.

I think 777 above answered it correctly. The contract was done outside of economic reality. Management was forced to accept a contract that may bite them in the future, but it was better than going out of business in 2000. UAW figured this out with GM a couple years ago also.

Ya, but all this information wasn't available back then. At the time it was an accomplishment

You guys still think that pilot pay is everything. Have you ever thought that Comair is shrinking because that's the only airline Delta can shrink easily. Maybe it is slightly in retaliation for the strike however not likely. Losing money just to hurt the employees of another company isn't a smart practice for a corporation.
They feed you this cool aid that pilot pay causes the demise of every airline because it works. Your type A personalities make you want to believe you have that much control.
And like I have said many times if pilot pay dictated company success, Mesa would be thriving.

Latest resources

Back