• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comair is done

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A certain Mark Twain quote comes to mind.

While I am a pilot at Comair, I will try for a moment to think as a dispassionate observer.

Delta is playing the Comair card brilliantly. While they could have sold Comair to Skywest, they set the terms too high and it just wasn't an attractive deal for Skywest. They will use Comair as a foil to drive costs even further down at other regional carriers. Comair wasn't sold because they are worth more to Delta as part of their ongoing strategy to reduce costs across the board.

I predict (and please don't beat me up for this) that all three unions at Comair will take concessionary contracts. Yes, there will be some loud proclamations of "full pay to the last day," but in the end given the choice of making $85,000 as a Captain or $36,000 as an FO most will choose the former.

This is what it is all about, driving costs down, and not just at Comair.

Coming soon, to an airline near you!

If everyone takes concessions, does that mean no furloughs?

If everyone takes concessions, does that mean no furloughs?

It's a negotiation. Delta wants us to work for free. We don't want to work for free. It's in the middle somewhere. I'm sure that if we make the deal of the century with Delta (we have a shill management called "Comair") they won't furlough anyone. Why would they? They aren't getting rid of ALL of their 50 seat lift, and if we agree to work significantly cheaper than other carriers guess where all that flying goes?

I think that more than anything Delta wants to use us as leverage.

The letter put out by the Comair MEC this morning implies, slightly, that this isn't over yet. And they may be partially right.

If the Comair pilot group were to agree to huge concessions they just might save a few airframes. Maybe 10 to 15, but the vast majority those are slated to leave will do so on schedule.

Today was the first time I was in CVG in almost 2 years. The last time I was here I parked at the NWA gates. Now CVG is not what I remember it. It's sad to hear about this news today. I wish you all Comair guys the best.

The letter put out by the Comair MEC this morning implies, slightly, that this isn't over yet. And they may be partially right.

If the Comair pilot group were to agree to huge concessions they just might save a few airframes. Maybe 10 to 15, but the vast majority those are slated to leave will do so on schedule.

Aren't they already under a concessionary contract? Just from the looks of it (on APC) they don't get 100% DH pay, their salaries look so-so, matching is so-so, per diem also.....How much more can they cut?

This is not about concessions. This is not about the strike either. This is about Delta trying to lose lots of "unwanted" 50s. We are the only place they can take them from penalty free. I think that is it. Now I am not saying they won't try to also get concessions out of this. They will. The memo alludes (elludes? whatever. deal with it! Mitt's going to question my intelligence.) to that fact. I do think that Delta sees definite "bonuses" in all of this.

1. We happen to have the oldest 50s.
2. We have the most senior/highest pay roll (easy there! ...relatively speaking)
3. They can sleep better by telling themselves we did it to ourselves during the strike.
4. They can look like they are really tough on unions. "You want some of the Comair treatment too!?"

This was going to happen period. We could/should say we will offer them %50 off on all pay rates if we can keep all the a/c. They would go out in the hallway and not have a freaking clue what to do next. Because those aircraft are going away period and we all know it. The only hope is that not as many or not as soon. I for one won't give up a penny just to prolong the inevitable a few months. This is just "business." Save a few bucks while you can and try to get a job while your "current."

Good luck everyone

Last edited:
It's a negotiation. Delta wants us to work for free. We don't want to work for free. It's in the middle somewhere. I'm sure that if we make the deal of the century with Delta (we have a shill management called "Comair") they won't furlough anyone. Why would they? They aren't getting rid of ALL of their 50 seat lift, and if we agree to work significantly cheaper than other carriers guess where all that flying goes?

I think that more than anything Delta wants to use us as leverage.

Comair is already making less than SKW and ASA pilots. If they really wanted to sell us, they could have when the two other sales happened.
My question is "Why release this info now?" It's not going to start until 2nd QTR in 2011. Is it management trying to keep us up to date with all the latest info? I don't think so Tim.
My predictions :
-Another round of early buy outs.
-Possibly voluntary furloughs for higher seniority numbers.
-Former Freedom DO....now expect Freedom wages.

Latest resources

Back