Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

on autopilot

Go ahead, pull my finger.
Just started a thread so that everyone may express thier feeling to what has happened at Comair. As you all know, Delta has let the axe fall, unemploying thousand of aviation professionals, many of whom I got to know personally while at Comair.

My heart goes out to all of you, but use it as a motivator to try something else- and unemployment is pretty good right know, so maybe some college work, etc might be good.

Hey feel free to post away, and rants against R. A. are encouraged.

Just started a thread so that everyone may express thier feeling to what has happened at Comair. As you all know, Delta has let the axe fall, unemploying thousand of aviation professionals, many of whom I got to know personally while at Comair.

My heart goes out to all of you, but use it as a motivator to try something else- and unemployment is pretty good right know, so maybe some college work, etc might be good.

Hey feel free to post away, and rants against R. A. are encouraged.

I'm sad for everyone. I'm kind of blind-sided right now so all I can think of is what is next. I feel especially bad for my husband. His passion is flying. That's all he's ever wanted. He got shot down by Delta and Continental a few years ago. Delta said you get one shot interview and that's it.

If they offer voluntary furloughs first, are unemployment benefits extended if you volunteer to be furloughed first? I would volunteer if it helped my fellow f/as but would need unemployment, COBRA in the process.

I have to question why just cut the fleet to 44 airplanes? At this point it just makes your cost to operate those aircraft even higher. Why not just end it?

I feel for all the comair guys. I spent 3 pretty bad years there so I know how this feels. The pull down wont start for several months and then over a 2 year period so hopefully those who want to move on will be able to do so. Good Luck.

I have to question why just cut the fleet to 44 airplanes? At this point it just makes your cost to operate those aircraft even higher. Why not just end it?

I believe they are getting them more attractive for a future sale. Folks running the company are most likely looking at huge bonuses if they manage to pull off the "rightsizing" while maintaining performance.

Delta wanted to lose 50 seaters and they are the easiset target.

Who knows, really? Comair could come out ahead with growth or they could just be sold or they could just plain vanish. What a shame.

Yep-

It is sad to see this sort of thing happen. Just goes to show what classless mgmt mainline has these days. It is very unfortunate-and all around the entire system, people have been outsourced-at many different carriers.

RA is trying to wring as much as he can from all the regionals-just bringing them down to shoestring operations with razor-thin profit margins. As soon as mainline pilots are getting into negotiations, mgmt will try and sling as much flying as possible to all the much-cheaper regionals. You can bet they are really drooling over the proposition of getting massive amounts of domestic under the much-cheaper connection umbrella.

This mgmt is different from anything DAL has had before-you guys really need to watch what is going down at Comair and take note-do not believe for a second that mgmt is trying to make pals with you-they will do whatever they can to hose you next. These guys play hard ball-and you will eventually wind up taking it up the pooper just like the regionals are right now.

crj57...do you mean "leave the armchair quarterbacking to the losers"...as opposed to loosers?

Or am I just missing some really ironic joke?

I just gotta know. It reads to your credibility.

crj57...do you mean "leave the armchair quarterbacking to the losers"...as opposed to loosers?

Or am I just missing some really ironic joke?

I just gotta know. It reads to your credibility.

I use that as my signature line because it is a classic quote I pulled from some erudite FI Poster. I can't remember who the heck it is from, but hell-given the level of intelligence around here, about 85% of the people on this board are possible candidates.

-Bunch of LOOSERS!

I use that as my signature line because it is a classic quote I pulled from some erudite FI Poster. I can't remember who the heck it is from, but hell-given the level of intelligence around here, about 85% of the people on this board are possible candidates.

-Bunch of LOOSERS!

It was that moron CX880.. That guy really needs to get back on his Ritalin

A certain Mark Twain quote comes to mind.

While I am a pilot at Comair, I will try for a moment to think as a dispassionate observer.

Delta is playing the Comair card brilliantly. While they could have sold Comair to Skywest, they set the terms too high and it just wasn't an attractive deal for Skywest. They will use Comair as a foil to drive costs even further down at other regional carriers. Comair wasn't sold because they are worth more to Delta as part of their ongoing strategy to reduce costs across the board.

I predict (and please don't beat me up for this) that all three unions at Comair will take concessionary contracts. Yes, there will be some loud proclamations of "full pay to the last day," but in the end given the choice of making $85,000 as a Captain or $36,000 as an FO most will choose the former.

This is what it is all about: driving costs down, and not just at Comair.

Coming soon, to an airline near you!

Last edited:
Very sorry to hear this news for the Comair guys. I've always respected the Comair pilot group. Perhaps it's little consolation to most of you, but we are hiring here at Eagle. It's the best help I can offer other than some well wishes. Good luck.

Latest resources

Back