COMair in ATL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Extra300S said:
After spending a month in Atlanta I would have to say that Atlanta has the most LAZY people on earth. Nothing gets done quickly and if involves ANY effort forgetaboutit....

YOU know what I am talking about!

We Atlantans are slow, but inefficient! However, we are the city that's too busy to hate.

Last edited:
Isn't ATL a "hospitality" town? Don't they have a lot of conventions and want people to return? That is what I always ask myself when I am stuck in traffic on 85 South near downtown.
Pretty much you get what you pay for---especially at the airport.

Bye Bye--General Lee:rolleyes: ;)

Crosscut

You mean DEMOGRAPHICS?

That would be a Big OOOOPPPPSSS!!!!
Yes, it is Demographics. Thanks for the fix. It's my Lexdicksia! :rolleyes:

You could pay these people $50 an hour and what you would have is really lazy people who make $50 an hour. The only change would be they would want to work even less. As i mentioned before, look at the 'pool' they get to hire from....

Pay them more and get less work?

Easy fix (In theory) Hire a manager like I had when I was 16 / 17 years old and impose a liberal fine and reward system. Also make ATL and fun place to work with crew / team building. Watch how fast the word gets out that only the best need apply. It is the old Dr. Morgan theory; you want to teach discipline, then discipline. You want to instill and good work ethic, praise and lead. You want to discourage bad behavior, fine, fire and there was my fathers way of wall to wall counseling. (not legal of course)

Kick ass and take names.

>>In response to the ramper situation in ATL, I'm wondering how long its going to be before the Airtran rampers start taking their time to park us at the end of D. I know we only have a fraction of RJ's compared to ASA or Comair in ATL and we (Air Wisconsin) have only been there a few months but the rampers that handle us actually run to thier spots when were pulling in. I even flew with a Capt who is new to ATL (transferred out of ORD/United) who actually made a comment about how they ran out to park us. He said he never saw that in ORD.
Just wondering how long the novelty is going to last for us.<<

This should last forever for you (AirTran). This is an ASA issue. We see everybody elses rampers (AirTran, Delta, UsAir, etc)always 'running' to get planes parked.

Maybe if ASA played some Gangsta Rap on loud speakers out on the ramp we could at least see if they can move to the beat.

The Comair guys don't get it because they have not listened to their "VISION" tapes. Somebody get those cassettes to the Comair cockpits, immediately!

Anyone else notice that Northwest, Airtran, United and American get parked without much fuss. What is different about ASA's ATL operations?

First, the same "efficient cost controls" have resulted in our rampers being the lowest paid for similar work at the airport. But actually, it is not similar work. Delta rampers turn one MD80 in about an hour and forty. The "aircart" and "power cart" are integrated systems that plug in from the jetway with nice, constant, power supplies. They have complex bag routing and tracking systems, while we have a collection of broken bag carts with cities scribbled on the ends, while we try to drag our power and air carts around the ramp with as many as four airplanes per gate and twelve per zone.

All the APU noise, connecting, locating, and ad lib operations takes a toll on these guys and there is absolutely no incentive to move faster because you can never get caught up.

Gordon Bethune implemented a simple reward system at CAL. His bean counters figured out the cost to the company for late and cancelled flights (hotel rooms, pax disruption compensation, etc...) he then took half of that money and allocated it to a bonus program. It worked out to be some where between $35 and $100 a month if the airline met certain criteria. Sure, it was not much money, but enough to take your sweetie to dinner. I think some sort of positive reward would go a long way to both saving the company moeny and motivating employees. Hack, if they steal of our catering cart, they must really need $35.

Second, someone has figured out it is more cost effective to underpay and understaff the ramp and just accept the delays. I for one wish they had spent the money on the rampers and their managers instead of cassette tapes, posters and Commut a' Walks.

~~~^~~~
Paid by the minute, waiting on the ramp with the rest of you...

ATL Ramp

If those rampers knew what was good for them they would hustle more (some). If, when Comair comes down to handle thier ATL flights you will see them shape up or get shipped out. The problem is not the workers it is the managment. I saw a ramper work an entire 70 seat flight totally full by himself in the pouring rain. Fuel, bags, pink tags, push. The flight turned in about 35 minutes. This kind of stuff happens everyday in CVG. Pure excellence. Ask the ACA guys how they like the CVG operation compared to BOS and LGA. When we see this everyday and we go to ATL our mouths drop. Companies that operate w/ ASA ATL performance do not survive. It may take time, but this will change. It has too. I really feel sorry for ASA pilots. How do you ever get used to that. I know you guys work hard, you certainly deserve better.

Latest resources

Back