Comair exit poll

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nindiri said:
If Comair plans to start shedding 50 seaters and not maintain the fleet size, why would they be wanting to add 10 more this year?

Didn't Delta have to commitment to GECAS to receive additional 50 seaters as part of DAL's debt restructuring? In with the new, out with the old. For each new CRJ50 CMR receives, I'm sure they can start dumping 2 or 3 old CRJ50s after 12-31-08, but that will come after the spin off. I don't think the CRJ50 will be dumped all together, but its economics are so weak, that there are fewer and fewer markets where it makes sense. There will still be some CRJ50s around after 12-31-08, but far fewer then you see today, and the addition of a few dozen CRJ70s or possibly a few E-170s, will not keep pace with the attrition of the older CRJ50s as their leases expire.

But if I'm not mistaken, the 10 GECAS CRJ50s are used. I guess they could be replacements for even older 50s from the earliest RJ days, but that would seem rather inefficient. In any event, I agree that there is not a lot of room left for 50 seat growth, but with not enough 70s to replace many of them, I don't see how Delta can afford to retire too many of them.

chperplt said:
Leases don't end after 12-31-05, nor will the LOA allow those aircraft to go away after 12-31-05.

I'm sorry, I meant 2008 not 2005. Delta has 123 50 seat RJs on lease. When do those leases end? Never? I would bet sometime after 12-31-08.

What specific language is in the LOA that would prevent those 50 seaters from going away after 12-31-08?

Is that language binding on a successor should CMR be spun off and acquired by another carrier like Skywest, MESA, CHQ etc?

I'm not saying this concession for jets deal isn't in the CMR pilots best interest, but I'd be very careful about assuming certain things about your contractual minimum fleet size post 12-31-08

Last edited:
Nindiri said:
But if I'm not mistaken, the 10 GECAS CRJ50s are used. I guess they could be replacements for even older 50s from the earliest RJ days, but that would seem rather inefficient.

I'm not sure if the efficiency, or lack there of, of the above scenario was a top concern of GECAS when they required DAL to obtain additional CRJ50s.

Last edited:
chperplt said:
Yes it is.

I'm glad to hear that in the event CMR is spun off your still protected until 12-31-08, although I'm not sure how that would work if you are merged in with another regional carrier.

How does the language protect you if a NON-UNION carrier were to aquire Comair?

homerjdispatch said:
How does the language protect you if a NON-UNION carrier were to aquire Comair?

Naturally that depends on the specific language of the CMR PWA. I suspect that in that case the CMR pilots PWA lists as a condition of the sale a list integration inaccordance with certain sections of Allegheny-Mohawk when merging with an other than ALPA carrier. As an organized group, I'm sure the CMR pilots would fare much better under those circumstances against a non unionized pilot group with little to no organization or contractual language to protect their interests. Furthermore, there could be specific language in the CMR PWA that sets certain conditions in the event of a change of control/fragmentation/successorship that the acquiring airline must honor as a condition of the acquisition.

Latest resources

Back