Comair/Delta question?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Grassy knell

I think people make the mistake of assuming that since Comair is a subsidiary of Delta, that it actually is Delta. It's not. It's Comair, a separate company that is owned by Delta. Delta is in BK, and so technically Comair is too, but people forget that Comair by itself is really pretty profitable. Someone made a comment that Delta might close the doors of Comair. Given Comair's profitability, I think the possibility of that is extremely remote. And we see that in no part of the restructuring is Delta required to sell Comair, so I think that's pretty unlikely too.

As far as coming from Comair and trying get on with Delta, I think that by the time it becomes relevant for guys at my stage (and earlier), most of the people carrying the grudges (likely a vocal minority) will be retired. (And the only time it would be relevant for me is if my SWA, AirTran, JetBlue, NetJets and Continental, etc. etc. interviews all didn't work out. Some guys want to work for their "dream" carrier. I'm just looking to work for a relatively good company and not get furloughed.)

And it's "knell," not "knoll."

-Goose

Last edited:
I think people make the mistake of assuming that since Comair is a subsidiary of Delta, that it actually is Delta. It's not. It's Comair, a separate company that is owned by Delta. Delta is in BK, and so technically Comair is too, but people forget that Comair by itself is really pretty profitable. Someone made a comment that Delta might close the doors of Comair. Given Comair's profitability, I think the possibility of that is extremely remote. And we see that in no part of the restructuring is Delta required to sell Comair, so I think that's pretty unlikely too.

As far as coming from Comair and trying get on with Delta, I think that by the time it becomes relevant for guys at my stage (and earlier), most of the people carrying the grudges (likely a vocal minority) will be retired. (And the only time it would be relevant for me is if my SWA, AirTran, JetBlue, NetJets and Continental, etc. etc. interviews all didn't work out. Some guys want to work for their "dream" carrier. I'm just looking to work for a relatively good company and not get furloughed.)

And it's "knell," not "knoll."

-Goose

Yeah, and people have forgotten about the Eastern scabs...

Forget it - the Delta pilots will have a very long memory. Any airline that screws over Delta furloughees will not be forgotten - and that's a quote from a 45 year old Delta Captain I know. He'll be around for another 20 years if pilots are allowed to fly past age 60. Now, I have been told that ASA pilots are more than welcome to apply because of the way they treated Delta furloghees during their time of need. Get it? ASA yes, Comair no. Simple as that. If you want to work for United, JetBlue, American (if they ever hire again), Continental, AirTran, Fedex, UPS, Virgin America or Skybus someday in the distant future, by all means go to Comair and enjoy the ride. If you want to have Delta as an option, go to any other regional but Comair. I am simply repeating what I have heard from Delta pilots who understand the sentiment and the hiring situation. Go ahead, ask any Delta pilot for his/her opinion - they'll tell you what they think.

ASA yes, Comair no. Simple as that. If you want to work for United, JetBlue, American (if they ever hire again), Continental, AirTran, Fedex, UPS, Virgin America or Skybus someday in the distant future, by all means go to Comair and enjoy the ride. If you want to have Delta as an option, go to any other regional but Comair.

You forgot SWA.

-Goose

This thread has been twisted like a plate of spagetti noodles. Power ranger`s question went something like this: "I want to fly for Delta, should I avoid Comair?". I say again...Delta pilots have a big "hate on" for Comair pilots because of the Comair MECs stand against Delta pilot furloughed pilots retaining their Delta senority, and this after supporting Comair`s strike with strike assesments(read money). Now that`s a fact. Is it justified? Is it fair? Should newhire Comair pilots be punished because of the action of an MEC that acted long before the new hires were on the property? None of these things come in to play and they weren`t any part of Power Ranger`s question. Having spent about 30 years on the Delta senority list, I think that I can express an opinion as to the feelings of the Delta pilots general feelings on the above issue. Power Ranger should avoid Comair and build his time somewhere else. That sage of wisdom, Imacdog (the C 310 pilot) has called me a "loser" and then modified that to "idiot" because I stated my answer to Power Rangers question. I`m sure that he thinks that he knows the true feelings of the Delta pilots much better than I do. I never stated that these were or were not my feelings, only what I picked up in casual conversations with the younger guys there at Delta. These feelings run the length of the entire list, Most of the Delta pilots will be there a long, long time. Power Ranger you have been warned, do as you will. Good luck with your aviation career, I hope that yours will be as enjoyable and satisfying as mine was.

Having spent about 30 years on the Delta senority list, I think that I can express an opinion as to the feelings of the Delta pilots general feelings on the above issue.

What are Delta pilot's "general feelings" about pilots who picked up open time while other pilots were furloughed? Having been furloughed. I know how I feel about pilots who picked up open time while I was on the street.

What are Delta pilot's "general feelings" about pilots who picked up open time while other pilots were furloughed? Having been furloughed. I know how I feel about pilots who picked up open time while I was on the street.

With a list of 6000 or so pilots, you are gonna have a few "Wh0res". Like you, I know how I feel about that issue also, but that`s for another thread.

As to your question about what part Delta pilots play in the hiring process, (1) For at least the past 50 years, pilots have had a big input into who gets hired or who gets the axe. Either as participants in the interview itself (usually one HR guy, one pilot interviewer) or one of the "higher ups" (chief pilot or a 4th floor type) (BTW, that`s a guy who is or works for the VP of Opns) that has veto priviledges. The name of the game is "Don`t rock the boat". The boat would be rocked plenty with Comair guys on the list, at least for awhile.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back