Colgan ??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just a thought...

Yikes, Houston, Abilene, Tyler, Shreveport - I'd much rather be there than Altoona (?!!) or Presque Isle. Yikes. Didn't realize you had that many bases in the Northeast. Air Midwest must have all the crew bases that Colgan doesn't - right?

Good luck,
-brew3

ShyFlyGuy said:
I don't want to be stuck in the right seat for a year, is there a possibility of upgrading into the 1900 sooner? I'd take a type in either, but I assume the 1900 would be quicker.

AFFIRMATIVE, it's under a year on the Beech right now. Saab will be year and a half to two years probably unless we get a gazillion more Saabs.

ShyFlyGuy said:
Can anyone give an example of their schedule, days on/off, consecutive days off, commuting to work (where to/from) stuff like that? Much thanks.

Between 12-16 days off, depends on how they build the lines, usually 3-4 on and 3-4 off, we feed hubs so you can usually commute to/from work, if you make good trip trades and with some luck you can sometimes commute on the day you start working and go home on your last day, but that's more the exception than the rule.

TheBigH said:
Between 12-16 days off, depends on how they build the lines, usually 3-4 on and 3-4 off.

Come on now, no way that schedule is the norm for the majority there. Unless, since I was there, Dot finally saw the light bulb and figured out how to make a better schedule. If that's the case, it's a long time coming, if not, I wouldn't tell folks that that's the type of schedule to expect if they come, even if that is your present type of schedule. From '02-'04 I saw every different type of scheduling setup you ever want to see, and not just mine. Luckily, I drove to where I worked in the NE, but I saw commuters get f-ed all the time. 2 on - 2 off ; 3 on - 2 off; 4 on 1 off,then 2 more on. I could go on and on. She does try, I'll give her that (barely), but with the COEX stuff soon happening, I hope you guys have someone in there that knows what they're doing.

BSkin, that picture has been giving me nightmares this past week!

BRA said:
BSkin, that picture has been giving me nightmares this past week!

I think that's what Colgan pilots end up looking like when they leave after years of built up evil ....

BSkin, "usually" may not have been the best word, but it's been mostly the case as far as I've seen. In some cases I've ended up with 5 and even 6 days off in a row, then again I've also had to work 5 or 6 days in a row. There have been some great months for some lines when there are long days but problems arose with timing out and such so now a lot of the lines are getting split or changed. Not perfect but it's not horrible either.

As far as IAH, I hope Dot either grows another head or they hire someone else to take care of their schedules. Otherwise we'll all end up with 1 on and 1 off for the entire year ...

TheBigH said:
I think that's what Colgan pilots end up looking like when they leave after years of built up evil ....

As far as IAH, I hope Dot either grows another head or they hire someone else to take care of their schedules. Otherwise we'll all end up with 1 on and 1 off for the entire year ...

It was worse, I'm getting better!

But, BRA, my guy would've gotten along well with your guy. Too bad mine's dead and your's might as well be. Idol rocked when I was in high school. Nothing like going on a first or second date, blaring Rebel Yell. My avatar, if you don't know it, is a piece of the movie poster from Apocolypse Now -- had to downsize it to fit the size requirements (wish I could say that in other situations).

BigH, a litlle history on CJC scheduling. I first got to CJC in spring 2000, based in AUG and never had crap schedules. After 4-5 mos I went to upgrade (came in prior military w/2000 ME and 1000 PIC). Never had crap schedules after upgrading (1 mo. in PWM, then back to AUG). Soon after that, they were expanding with the SAABs, going over 200 pilots, and decided to try outsourcing the scheduling to people "trained" to do such. If I recall correctly, that worked for one month. The lines were fair to everyone but the senior Beech boys in Maine, and maybe some of the senior boys elsewhere, but it was more of a "real" airline schedule -- not MA&PA company that wants to treat the senior guys "special". Well, these senior boys got pissed and it went back to Dot. Sure, senior people deserve their due, but in my short experince at Airtran so far, has shown me that noone, including the most senior people, are exempt from working when they wouldn't like to (except maybe senior check airmen).

What is about to happen is beyond Dot's scheduling capability, even with Valerie's help. It will be a rough next couple of months (except for those senior beech dudes in ME)

Scheduling at Colgan is like that line from "Forrest Gump". You look at the bid package and as the month progresses, you never know what you're gonna get. Overall, I am happy with the schedules that I have, but I live within driving range of my base. I've never had less than 12 days off a month, and only a few scattered reserve days. If you are going to the Beech, and can get into the bases in the south (SHD and BKW). Quality of life, schedules, cost of living, etc... is good.
I think this summer is going to be a scheduling nightmare for the SAAB crews until dust settles. Like anything new there is going to be growing pains and the IAH operation is no exception.
Latest rumor is that we will be going back up to 14 Beech lines from the current 9. Where the new Beech bases will be is an unknown. Could it be we will be picking up some Air Midwest EAS flying out of PIT. Logic would tell me that it would be good business decision on Colgan's part to seek out a "cash cow".
Upgrades are as quick as you have the time and recommendation. 2000/500 is the current numbers for the Beech and last four upgraded Beech F.O.s all had less than 12 months in the company. Unsure on the SAAB, but upgrades will be steady there as well as transitions and people departing for greener pastures.

Regards,

Ex-Navy Rotorhead

What do you say we do the "Southern Exposure Visual to 23 today?"

Latest resources

Back