• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan - Teamsters NMB Vote

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, you first tell me that it only works in theory, so basically, don't even try. Then I point out the the theory is working with the Longshoreman. Then you say it wont work in the airline industry. So it seems to me that if the theory works but you say it wouldn't work in the airline industry, that you would have said that because you actually know why it wouldn't work in the airline industry. That is why I asked you. And that is why I even offered a probable solution, communication of the idea. But if you can only tell all of us what that is, we can all start working on fixing that.

So tell me, since you know it works for the Longshoreman but that it wouldn't work in the airline industry, why is that? In other words, why do you say the theory wont work in the airline industry? Or were you just making that up?
Ask me all you want, this isn't the first time this discussion has been had. Go back 30 years and it STILL wasn't the first time it was discussed. Seniority and the RLA play a BIG role...

And if you can convince me that Airline Pilots and the Longshormen have more in common than they differ, I will accept that as a guiding model. I think they're too different to be compared.

Last edited:
Ask me all you want, this isn't the first time this discussion has been had. Go back 30 years and it STILL wasn't the first time it was discussed. Seniority and the RLA play a BIG role...

And if you can convince me that Airline Pilots and the Longshormen have more in common than they differ, I will accept that as a guiding model. I think they're too different to be compared.

Yet you still have failed to answer his very simple question. I will give you credit on your end around technique. Now can you answer the question or not.

That is the $64 question, my friend.

And people like Nevets, Rez, and I are working on an answer while people like you and Joey are whining and giving up. If you aren't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.

And people like Nevets, Rez, and I are working on an answer while people like you and Joey are whining and giving up. If you aren't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
You tucked tail and ran to a NonALPA carrier. How are you helping?

This discussion has to continue until enough people believe it can be a reality. I feel that at least I've shown you that the theory is alive and working and that its not just pie in the sky. There are so many things that people have said in the history of mankind that something can't be done or that it will never happen. That is not good enough especially when we can see an actual real life model is working. If it can work for the Longshoreman it can work for pilots. Of course seniority is an obstacle but only because no one is willing to forget about the past and how bad you had it and everyone else has to pay their dues as well blah blah blah, and be a little open minded and forward looking, willing to make one more sacrifice to actually make it happen once and for all. Sure, it will take time and maybe its another 30 years, although I don't believe it will be that long, but its still better than just giving up because its too hard.

If you still don't feel that this can happen, then what exactly do you think needs to happen for it to become reality? This is not some kind of technological leap we are trying to make here. Its an abstract man made idea that can be changed if enough people wanted to. Now tell me, what needs to happen to get enough people to believe so that we can fix this man made issue?

Seriously though folks, do you think that the Colgan Pilots are better off UNrepresented than with ALPA??? Are you KIDDING me???

So the IBT drive didn't go so hot, they didn't get on the ballot. Now is not the time to cry in our beer about what should have happened. If you wanted Jimmy Hoffa representing you so bad, then you should have stepped up and volunteered to help their organizing committee out. Since you didn't, and ALPA is the only union on the ballot it's time to get behind it and make sure we get representation.

Think about this for a second; if roles were reversed, and IBT was on the ballot while ALPA faded into oblivion, do you think that there would be a major difference in who would be on the eventual MEC??? It will probably be the same people who are willing to step up and volunteer. It seems to be universally accepted that your union is only as good as your reps.

DON'T DELAY VOTE TODAY!!!
www.alpa.org/colgan

Yet you still have failed to answer his very simple question. I will give you credit on your end around technique. Now can you answer the question or not.
Where's the 'end around?' I gave you two examples of why the whole "All Carriers Under ALPA will Hold Hands and sing Kumbaya Together" won't work.

The RLA takes away any real leverage the Union had...and the seniority/pay issue can divide a carrier in and of itself, let alone multiple carriers attempting to stand together.

Heck, I'll admit, Maybe after a few puffs of what the ALPA fanatics are smoking, I'd believe in the idea too.

Where's the 'end around?' I gave you two examples of why the whole "All Carriers Under ALPA will Hold Hands and sing Kumbaya Together" won't work.

The RLA takes away any real leverage the Union had...and the seniority/pay issue can divide a carrier in and of itself, let alone multiple carriers attempting to stand together.

Heck, I'll admit, Maybe after a few puffs of what the ALPA fanatics are smoking, I'd believe in the idea too.

The RLA only takes away leverage when someone like Shrub is in office. You're about to see a much different situation at the NMB. Besides, if you don't like the RLA, then the way to change it is to contribute to ALPA-PAC and work to get it changed. Sitting around and whining about it won't get you anywhere.

As for seniority issues, ALPA is considering the idea of portable longevity or a single list.

The RLA only takes away leverage when someone like Shrub is in office. You're about to see a much different situation at the NMB. Besides, if you don't like the RLA, then the way to change it is to contribute to ALPA-PAC and work to get it changed. Sitting around and whining about it won't get you anywhere.

As for seniority issues, ALPA is considering the idea of portable longevity or a single list.
ALPA-PAC? HA! ALPA has been paying Ted Kennedy for how many years??? What the hell has Kennedy done for the Pilots besides tossing their QOL out the window by Co-Authoring the Deregulation Act? There's part of your problem...Looking to Politicians to solve your problems.

Considering a Single Seniority or Portable longevity? And management will be obliged to sign off on that why?

ALPA-PAC? HA! ALPA has been paying Ted Kennedy for how many years??? What the hell has Kennedy done for the Pilots

Kennedy has actually been a good friend of pilots over the years. He supports us and our issues 99% of the time. Deregulation obviously didn't work out well for us, but keep in mind that ALPA never had an official position on deregulation when it was being debated. If ALPA had adamantly opposed it, you never know what Kennedy would have done.

There's part of your problem...Looking to Politicians to solve your problems.

This just shows how ignorant you are of the problems we have to solve. Many of our problems can only be solved with the help of politicians. You have to play the game, my friend. When laws are what hurt your leverage, then politicians are needed to fix them. All of the unity and solidarity in the world isn't going to help you if the law is stacked against you.

Considering a Single Seniority or Portable longevity? And management will be obliged to sign off on that why?

Negotiations, obviously. Make portable longevity a required item in every ALPA contract, and make it a strike issue.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back