• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan Pilots leaving for Japan!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Am I reading that correctly? 5 days off minimum in 5 WEEKS of work!!

$45 per diem seems pretty low for Japan.

You are not reading it right and remember this is not a commuting contract.

Work Schedule
Expect 5 weeks duty in Japan (includes a minimum of 5 days free duty), then 12 consecutive days off. 70 hours guaranteed per month, max 100 hours in 30 days. Premium rates applied for hours in excess of 70 hours.​

I know that the perception is that a cup of coffee here costs $10 but in reality you can eat pretty cheap in Japan

The numbers are better in the actual contract, plus they are starting to implement a pension.

I've already instituted self imposed cultural diversity training by watching film and cinema. The list includes but not limited to:

1. Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
2. Karate Kid, Part 2
3. Flags of Our Fathers/Letters From Iwo Jima
4. 30 Seconds Over Tokyo
5. Pearl Harbor
6. Tora, Tora, Tora
7. Midway
8. The Last Samurai(Tom Cruises really captures the
Japanese plight.)
9. The really bad movie with Sean Conery and Wesley Snipes.
10. And all Jackie Chan movies, he's from 'round those parts, right?

I would happily consider any other suggestions.

How in the world did you forget GODZILLA!?!?!?! :beer:

I came to ANA almost two years ago and so far the only difficult adjustment has been getting used to the strange way (by our standards) the Japanese have of running their airlines, after for us it is very strange to get treated well and get paid a lot of money.

My suggestion for those that are seriously considering coming to Japan to work would be not to turn to Hollywood for cultural education

All jokes aside, money is only part of the reason, if it was the whole reason I wouldn't do it. Being able to emerse yourself in a foreign culture is another half of the equation.

As for living, most people whom I've talked to say the same thing, it's not as expensive as you think. If you live like a tourist I'm sure it's pricey, live as a local and it's not too bad. Plus the $2000.00 living stipend doesn't hurt.

I came to ANA almost two years ago and so far the only difficult adjustment has been getting used to the strange way (by our standards) the Japanese have of running their airlines, after for us it is very strange to get treated well and get paid a lot of money.

My suggestion for those that are seriously considering coming to Japan to work would be not to turn to Hollywood for cultural education

Where are some places you fly the 767? Do you fly domestic within Japan, or do you fly International flights? Sounds interesting.

The numbers are better in the actual contract, plus they are starting to implement a pension.

I've already instituted self imposed cultural diversity training by watching film and cinema. The list includes but not limited to:

1. Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
2. Karate Kid, Part 2
3. Flags of Our Fathers/Letters From Iwo Jima
4. 30 Seconds Over Tokyo
5. Pearl Harbor
6. Tora, Tora, Tora
7. Midway
8. The Last Samurai(Tom Cruises really captures the
Japanese plight.)
9. The really bad movie with Sean Conery and Wesley Snipes.
10. And all Jackie Chan movies, he's from 'round those parts, right?

I would happily consider any other suggestions.

If you are seriously thinking about coming out here, I would suggest reading a book called Kata by a guy named De Mente. I read it after i finished my training and it made the entire training process make sense.

It isn't like the US here and if you don't do things their way, you will fail. If you fly the sim perfectly but not the way they want you to, you still fail. Process is more important than results.

Japan is a pretty good deal right now. All of the contracts here pay pretty well, you are treated with respect and the operation runs flawlessly. I was only planning on staying in Japan for 5 years then returning home but now I will be here as long as I can.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back