• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Colgan Pilots leaving for Japan!

akseiner

Total Time
All I hear about lately is everyone's either going to Japan (ANA) or setting up an interview. Great to see people start getting paid what they are worth. I heard they are getting paid more than they expected, anyone know how much? Also talk about a colgan crashpad- that sounds like a good time- esp. if you like asian women!

Salukipilot4590

IS WE ON TV?
Total Time
Congrats to them! I just wonder how much the white gloves cost??

dojetdriver

Total Time
All I hear about lately is everyone's either going to Japan (ANA) or setting up an interview. Great to see people start getting paid what they are worth. I heard they are getting paid more than they expected, anyone know how much? Also talk about a colgan crashpad- that sounds like a good time- esp. if you like asian women!

Depends on which contract agency they are going through, but here is what one of them is offering.

http://tbe.taleo.net/NA7/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=HACS&cws=2&rid=16

Thurman Merman

Total Time
Hammer
The numbers are better in the actual contract, plus they are starting to implement a pension.

I've already instituted self imposed cultural diversity training by watching film and cinema. The list includes but not limited to:

1. Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
2. Karate Kid, Part 2
3. Flags of Our Fathers/Letters From Iwo Jima
4. 30 Seconds Over Tokyo
5. Pearl Harbor
6. Tora, Tora, Tora
7. Midway
8. The Last Samurai(Tom Cruises really captures the
Japanese plight.)
9. The really bad movie with Sean Conery and Wesley Snipes.
10. And all Jackie Chan movies, he's from 'round those parts, right?

I would happily consider any other suggestions.

suupah

Total Time
The numbers are better in the actual contract, plus they are starting to implement a pension.

I've already instituted self imposed cultural diversity training by watching film and cinema. The list includes but not limited to:

2. Karate Kid, Part 2
4. 30 Seconds Over Tokyo
5. Pearl Harbor
6. Tora, Tora, Tora
7. Midway
Japanese plight.)

might I suggest blind folded chopstick training and sitting on knees for 30 minutes per day. you also may consider learning the samurai suicide ritual in case you miss sierra.

$.02

General Lee

Total Time
A lot

2. Karate Kid, Part 2
4. 30 Seconds Over Tokyo
5. Pearl Harbor
6. Tora, Tora, Tora
7. Midway
Japanese plight.)

What about that one with Michael Douglas as the cop----"BLACK RAIN." You have GOT to see that one. It's all about kickin Azz against the Japanese Mafia. You gotta like it when one of the bad guys has to chop off his finger.... A must see. Three thumbs up.

Bye Bye---General Lee

d.fitz

Total Time
Am I reading that correctly? 5 days off minimum in 5 WEEKS of work!!

$45 per diem seems pretty low for Japan.

Dumb Pilot

Total Time
I came to ANA almost two years ago and so far the only difficult adjustment has been getting used to the strange way (by our standards) the Japanese have of running their airlines, after for us it is very strange to get treated well and get paid a lot of money.

My suggestion for those that are seriously considering coming to Japan to work would be not to turn to Hollywood for cultural education

Dumb Pilot

Total Time
Am I reading that correctly? 5 days off minimum in 5 WEEKS of work!!

$45 per diem seems pretty low for Japan.

You are not reading it right and remember this is not a commuting contract.

Work Schedule
Expect 5 weeks duty in Japan (includes a minimum of 5 days free duty), then 12 consecutive days off. 70 hours guaranteed per month, max 100 hours in 30 days. Premium rates applied for hours in excess of 70 hours.​

I know that the perception is that a cup of coffee here costs $10 but in reality you can eat pretty cheap in Japan

flynryan15

Total Time
2000+

2. Karate Kid, Part 2
4. 30 Seconds Over Tokyo
5. Pearl Harbor
6. Tora, Tora, Tora
7. Midway
Japanese plight.)

How in the world did you forget GODZILLA!?!?!?! :beer:

Thurman Merman

Total Time
Hammer
I came to ANA almost two years ago and so far the only difficult adjustment has been getting used to the strange way (by our standards) the Japanese have of running their airlines, after for us it is very strange to get treated well and get paid a lot of money.

My suggestion for those that are seriously considering coming to Japan to work would be not to turn to Hollywood for cultural education

All jokes aside, money is only part of the reason, if it was the whole reason I wouldn't do it. Being able to emerse yourself in a foreign culture is another half of the equation.

As for living, most people whom I've talked to say the same thing, it's not as expensive as you think. If you live like a tourist I'm sure it's pricey, live as a local and it's not too bad. Plus the $2000.00 living stipend doesn't hurt.

Heavy Set

Total Time

Where are some places you fly the 767? Do you fly domestic within Japan, or do you fly International flights? Sounds interesting.

d328pilot

flying in asia
Total Time
Congrats to them! I just wonder how much the white gloves cost??

5,000 Yen and the local pilot shop in Tokyo. I would guess that more than 50% of the foreigners that come here are still flying with the white golves. They are kind of nice.

d328pilot

flying in asia
Total Time

2. Karate Kid, Part 2
4. 30 Seconds Over Tokyo
5. Pearl Harbor
6. Tora, Tora, Tora
7. Midway
Japanese plight.)

If you are seriously thinking about coming out here, I would suggest reading a book called Kata by a guy named De Mente. I read it after i finished my training and it made the entire training process make sense.

It isn't like the US here and if you don't do things their way, you will fail. If you fly the sim perfectly but not the way they want you to, you still fail. Process is more important than results.

Japan is a pretty good deal right now. All of the contracts here pay pretty well, you are treated with respect and the operation runs flawlessly. I was only planning on staying in Japan for 5 years then returning home but now I will be here as long as I can.

Last edited:

suupah

Total Time
How much money can you make on average flying the Q in japan?