Colgan overheard in EWR today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I obviously disagree.

Your contention is that one should have an extra cushion when landing in winds close to the airplane's limits for fear of a chance that those limits might be exceeded at the last minute. So, why wouldn't you do the same for an instrument approach?

I wouldn't do the same for an instrument approach because I can go down to DH as long as I have the vis by the FAF, If I see the runway at DH, I can land because I will have the required vis. Tower can say whatever they want as far as vis goes after the FAF and I can continue legally as long as I have the flight visibility during landing.

The winds on the other hand are changing constantly, especially on gusty days. I can't disregard tower winds and say "Yeah but the wind sock only showed 20." You get guys asking for wind checks and tower gives the winds when he clears you to land. I don't want an ATC recording of a 21 tailwind should something happen on the runway. When it gets close to the limit, it could just as easily be over the limit when I land. It is not a matter of whether the airplane is capable. I know it is, and it could easily handle more. It is a matter of covering your ass. If the FAA ever looks into your flight, do you want them to see that you exceeded the limit when you landed?

My question for those who don't see my logic... Would you land with a 20 knot tailwind with an FAA inspector in the jumpseat? It is legal yes, and it can also be safely done. But are you going to then calculate the tailwind compenent every time tower gives the winds to make sure it is not 21? Wouldn't it be easier to land on runway 4/22 and not worry about the tailwind component?

For those of you who would land with a 20 knot tailwind with an FAA inspector in the airplane... Why would you choose the runway that is 1 knot away from a possible certificate violation?

Last edited:
They don't want the mx costs associated with maintaining the reversers. My roommate busted his type ride for opening the buckets because he (violated a limitation) yes, it's in the limitations.
If it's a limitation, shouldnt he have known it?

He knew it and was taught it but, it was his 4th training event in one year due to displacements and he had just come off the CRJ where you use them on every landing. Also, in training you use them on 95% of the landings because you are either single engine, on a wet/contaminated runway, or on a short runway, so there was a big negative transfer of learning.

The FSM says 20Kts MAX with the following conditions:

*Nosewheel steering operative
*Antskid operative
*Flight spoilers operative in both modes
*Bleed air off
*Takeoff with flaps 10 or 15
*Takeoff performance caclulated

The FSM says 20Kts MAX with the following conditions:

*Nosewheel steering operative
*Antskid operative
*Flight spoilers operative in both modes
*Bleed air off
*Takeoff with flaps 10 or 15
*Takeoff performance caclulated

That is correct. I didn't feel like typing all of that.

I wouldn't do the same for an instrument approach because I can go down to DH as long as I have the vis by the FAF, If I see the runway at DH, I can land because I will have the required vis. Tower can say whatever they want as far as vis goes after the FAF and I can continue legally as long as I have the flight visibility during landing.

The winds on the other hand are changing constantly, especially on gusty days. I can't disregard tower winds and say "Yeah but the wind sock only showed 20." You get guys asking for wind checks and tower gives the winds when he clears you to land. I don't want an ATC recording of a 21 tailwind should something happen on the runway. When it gets close to the limit, it could just as easily be over the limit when I land. It is not a matter of whether the airplane is capable. I know it is, and it could easily handle more. It is a matter of covering your ass. If the FAA ever looks into your flight, do you want them to see that you exceeded the limit when you landed?

My question for those who don't see my logic... Would you land with a 20 knot tailwind with an FAA inspector in the jumpseat? It is legal yes, and it can also be safely done. But are you going to then calculate the tailwind compenent every time tower gives the winds to make sure it is not 21? Wouldn't it be easier to land on runway 4/22 and not worry about the tailwind component?

For those of you who would land with a 20 knot tailwind with an FAA inspector in the airplane... Why would you choose the runway that is 1 knot away from a possible certificate violation?

Visibility changes constantly as well. there have been 2 occasions that I can think of where I had to go missed below mda or dh due to a sudden drop in in-flight vis. To me, having to execute a go around due to a wind change isn't any different. If the winds are within the required limits, then I will land. If the situation changes I won't.

I don't fly the plane any differently if there is an FAA inspector on board. My job is the same no matter who is watching me. Why make things complicated and change the way you fly based on whether the FAA is watching or not? Follow FARs and SOPs and you're good to go....simple.

A 20 kt tailwind is within my airplane's limitations and my personal limits. If the winds are all over the place then it may not make sense to take the tailwind landing. But, if there is no reason to believe that they will change, other than a fear that "it could happen", that doesn't seem like a valid reason to me. Lots of things "could happen" when we fly, but it doesn't prevent us from using the airplane to its full capability, within legal and safe limits.

I agree, that given the choice I would take the runway that's lined up with the wind. However, in EWR, it's often a choice of take the tailwind or stay away. If it's legal, and safe, I'll take the tailwind.

Latest resources

Back