Colgan Bringing the Q to ATL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Who is Colgan?
I don't think DAL wants another piddly little operation in the DCI portfolio to screw things up like Freedumb did!

It was just a guess.

I think any new turboprop should go to ASA. We're losing all of our ATRs with no replacements. We've worked hard as hell to drastically improve our performance. Colgan getting awarded Q flying would be nothing short of them undercutting.

As an ASA guy, i would welcome it. But please do not EVER make the mistake of thinking that Delta would place any plane, E-120 to 777, based on the notion that the employees "worked hard as hell". That would be extremely naive. also, please keep in mind that whenever anyone voices displeasure at someone for undercutting, you are just wasting your energy.

I recently had the displeasure of hearing a delta guy saying he wished gas prices would stay high so that Jetblue would go out of business. He then acted suprised to hear me retort that I would do anything in my power to undercut delta, fly 90 seaters or whatever i got for cheaper than him. Hoping one day to put all domestic flying under the DCI umbrella...thus Freeing him to fly his 'ER

Last edited:
well I need to check my contract again for specifics but if new airplanes are given to anyone in the DCI system, a certain percentage of those have to go to comair.(I think 30% this year)

having said that Im sure there are some loopholes.
(found a big one. It specifically stats "jet a/c")

Last edited:
As an ASA guy, i would welcome it. But please do not EVER make the mistake of thinking that Delta would place any plane, E-120 to 777, based on the notion that the employees "worked hard as hell". That would be extremely naive. also, please keep in mind that whenever anyone voices displeasure at someone for undercutting, you are just wasting your energy.

I see where you're coming from. I made my statement based on Delta's apparent dislike for poor performing DCI operators. Since we have proven we can put up good performance numbers at the world's busiest airport and just had our fleet of turboprops retired, I feel we're a better fit for Q400s than Colgan.

Colgan comes in here i'm pretty sure their performance numbers would be hideous...

Well, I sure hope Delta stays away from Colgan. I know there are some great guys working at Colgan who take pride in doing their job well. I worked there, so I know what I am talking about. But I also know how poorly run the company is, and how many pilots there are willing to cut corners and ignore major rules at their leisure. If Delta wants a consistently good product, they need to look somewhere other than Colgan.

That said, I am sure Delta may give Colgan a chance. They have not been dance partners yet, and Colgan is that girl who will dance a whole lot crazier than the other girls at the club (assume fuel costs, no fee per departure, non union to date). Very nice. How much? Just like Mesa has been the community bicycle that everyone takes for a ride, so shall be Colgan. For years, mesa found new code shares despite repeatedly poor performances. The Q is a potentially great airplane, and I think every major wants to try their hand at making money with it.

I wish Colgan luck with the Q program, and I hope they are able to establish a new reputation. A new airframe, new financial backer (pinnacle), and new executive management are all opportunities for Colgan to put the past behind them. I think a union would also be a step in the right direction, but there have been far too many threads on that topic.

If you Colganites do start flying into ATL, try to drop the small town airport approach to airline operations and adapt to big city life. Things move fast and they rarely stop in Hotlanta. FO's: try to learn by watching other airline crews down there, and not by mimicking certain lifer captains who are in over their head the moment they leave CRW/ALB/CHO.

Oh, and in the meantime, I will continue to bid to avoid ATL.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back