• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan Bringing the Q to ATL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you Colganites do start flying into ATL, try to drop the small town airport approach to airline operations and adapt to big city life.

Erm.......you mean like LGA, EWR, IAD, DCA, IAH and BOS?

Last edited:
No, I think he means, PQI, BHB, AUG, RKD, just to name a few in Maine.

Yep, lots of stress up there in the county. :)

Hung

No, I think he means, PQI, BHB, AUG, RKD, just to name a few in Maine.

Yep, lots of stress up there in the county. :)

Hung

Are you sure about that? I would rather flying into ewr, bos or any other larger well regulated airport, then into those these in the middle of no where places with hills, scud running pilots and limited radar coverage.

Dont forget about this:

"Delta has also agreed that if Delta solicits requests for proposals to fly Delta Connection regional aircraft, ASA will be permitted to bid to maintain the same percentage of total Delta Connection regional jet flights that it operated during 2007, and, if ASA does not achieve the winning bid for the proposed flying, ASA will be permitted to match the terms of the winning bid to the extent necessary for ASA to maintain its percentage of Delta Connection regional jet flying that it operated during 2007."

Ref: page 15 Skywest 10-Q

Good research. I've not read the 10-Q.

This paragraph does absolutetly nothing to make me feel any better about the situation. What they are saying is that if another carrier comes in cheaper, they will allow us to match the terms (rates) of the new carrier. Check my logic here, but if MESA comes in with a low-ball offer, then ASA has to match that offer or lose the flying.

Try this on for size: 'Spose Colgan offers to fly the Q for 10% less per hour than the we flew the ATR. In that scenario, ASA pilots would be forced to choose to either take the inevitable pay cut, or, lose that amount of flying. So, extrapolated, it would become a choice between taking a pay cut, or, losing a job.

How cool would it be to fly the Q on the exact same routes that we flew the ATR, but for a cut in pay? Not so much for me....

Maybe the company can find a way to cut 10% in costs without taking it from pilot pay. Efficiencies elsewhere. Maybe the Q would be cheaper to operate than the ATR with less maintenence costs, etc....

At any rate, it would be nice to see ASA keep the flying that is rightfully ours, and historically ours. Since the contract was signed and the ramp and operation have taken dramatic turns for the better (just look at the latest DOT stats) we have been hearing how we are in good position for new flying. It is no secret that we are keeping ourselves fat on pilot staffing, so we should be well equipped to keep flying in our one and only domicile without Delta bringing in yet another bottom feeder airline.

Maybe the company can find a way to cut 10% in costs without taking it from pilot pay. Efficiencies elsewhere. Maybe the Q would be cheaper to operate than the ATR with less maintenence costs, etc....

At any rate, it would be nice to see ASA keep the flying that is rightfully ours, and historically ours. Since the contract was signed and the ramp and operation have taken dramatic turns for the better (just look at the latest DOT stats) we have been hearing how we are in good position for new flying. It is no secret that we are keeping ourselves fat on pilot staffing, so we should be well equipped to keep flying in our one and only domicile without Delta bringing in yet another bottom feeder airline.

Someone must have stolen your password. I've never seen you write somewhat positive things like this!

Sure, Delta can gas up the 757 if they want and jet off to CHA, CSG, AGS etc... all they want. But since we all know, those routes are not likely to be mainline, they have been serviced historically by ASA for the past 30 years! It would be nice to see it stay with ASA and not Colgon Air or Commutair or some other bottom feeder.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back