Colgan and Skywest pilots that voted no

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No union on board

Skywest pilots benefit from union negotiated contracts and other benefits without contributing to the cause. You think they would have those pay and work rules if management wasn't just trying to keep them from getting a union on board? All of the things in their "employee handbook" are things that were copied from union negotiated contracts. If it weren't for unions, then Skywest pilots would be paid far less and treated much worse. Some of us are tired of them freeloading off of us. It's about time that they joined in the fight and contributed to the cause.

Considering that historically, unions have bid themselves out of the marketplace repeatedly. (Textiles, steel, auto, and now airlines) why WOULDN'T management want to keep an AFL-CIO union out?

I would question their management ability if they didn't.

The problem with unions is not the concept of unionism per se, its their refusal to confront the reality of free market supply and demand forces. This head in the sand mentality has cost more union jobs than anything management has screwed up. This in the form of bankruptcies due to the inability of their companies to compete regarding labor costs and, (when an opening in the free market allows a newcomer to come in and undercut the legacies,) the subsequent inevitable bankruptcies, contract gutting and furloughs. (If you think it won't happen with all current airlines unionized and a national seniority list you are delusional as long as the airlines remain deregulated).

And the evidence of a lack of critical thinking is everywhere. When management claims they can't afford the requested contract improvements, what do the ALPA radicals do? Implement a work slowdown, (never mind it violates the ALPA Code of Conduct) thus increasing costs, and reducing profits thus validating management's argument. How intelligent is that? You would think that ALPA would do everything they could to make the company more efficient and maximize profitability so there would be more money available for increasing compensation - but NO - ALPA can't possibly be seen as cooperating with management.

And when the airlines finally become profitable again what does the union do? They (as John Prater is so fond of saying) take it back, leaving their companies with no operating reserves, totally ignoring the inevitable loss cycle about 7 years in the future. The result? The whole cycle of non-competitiveness, bankruptcy, contract gutting, and mass furloughs happens all over again. ALPA never learns.

I have no problems with having a union on the property but after watching this type of schizophrenic reasoning for 13 years by ALPA, I have had it with ALPA. On the other hand I now have enough seniority that if my company goes bankrupt, the furloughs won't likely reach me or signficantly affect my quality of life so John Prater - Go for it!

Unions haven't bid themselves out of anything. The industries that you mentioned have all been outsourced to foreign countries. Even without unions, our workers in this country could never work for the low pay and under the horrible working conditions that the workers in China, Mexico, and other countries do. If the unions had never existed, these industries would still have outsourced their labor to maximize their profits. What killed the workers in these industries wasn't their unions, it was anti-labor politicians that have allowed the continual trade agreements and outsourcing of labor with countries that have no standards for human rights. The typical far-right attack on unions by using the textile and other industries as an example is nothing but a poorly conceived red herring.

If you want anyone to listen to you and have an honest debate, then you might want to stop with tired old "ALPO" misspelling bullsh&^. At least be original. You just sound like a d0uche.
ALPO, ALPO, ALPO!

Formula -

I've upgraded. I make over six figures with Skywest and voteing no was a no brainer.

<Cough, cough...> BS!

So you JUST upgraded......
We'll just call you a 5 year captain. At $65/hr, that's $60k. Throw in som OT and perdiem, you MIGHT be at $75....
But then again, pilots and math in public.......

American Unions are the reason so many corporations are outsourcing to the third world.

While they DID serve a purpose, they have been abused.

Today, it is a very valid question as to whether or not any union has your best interests at heart.

If a non-union airline was willing to hire me, and actually paid me something I could live on, and feed my family on, I would go in a heartbeat.

And I think that is the feeling of most people here who are at the non-union airlines.

If being an airline pilot used to be something special, and you had unions all these years fighting for you, then why in the hell is being an airline pilot not special any more? And why in the hell is the pay so low that pilots have to come home and deliver pizza or flip burgers and McDonald's on their days off? The unions didn't fight all that hard, apparently. So none of you owes any allegiance to the unions! Period. And I sure as hell don't, if I get hired on somewhere, union, or non-union.

And if I do get a job, I want to fly for God's sake, not walk a picket line.

Today, it is a very valid question as to whether or not any union has your best interests at heart.

Me Me Me!!!

What about the best interests of the profession? Or is it only all about you...

I see you never spoke of management... you know the Enrons....etc....

Yeah its all labors fault....

American Unions are the reason so many corporations are outsourcing to the third world.

Do you have a reference, or did you just pull that out of your ass?

Me Me Me!!!

What about the best interests of the profession? Or is it only all about you...

I see you never spoke of management... you know the Enrons....etc....

Yeah its all labors fault....
was a union involved? could they have done anything????? didnt think so.

how dare you speak against the mighty union!

doing so will bring their wrath upon you!

jumpseats will be denied, jobs will be denied, YOU will be denied....join them OR ELSE!!!

[SIZE=-1]RESISTANCE IS FUTILE, YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED[/SIZE]!

Becuase you have no objective safety structure in place. No one to tell the company...' no, that is unsafe...we don't operate jets like that..'

Becuase you no have no code of ethics... A profession requires it.

Because your payrates are based on union contracts.

Because changes happen nationally and internationally that effect you yet you have no say.

This isn't new information.. you and your kind just choose to ignore it when using logic to consider the consequences of your action...

Like most ALPA members as well.. you are only thinking about you. A selfish action....

So, the only reason you have these things is because some union "negotiated" them for you? Does that mean that, if not for your union, you would not have the balls to stand up and do what is right? Without a union you would fly a plane that otherwise you would reject? You don't have your own code of ethics so you rely on a union to give you one? Will you only stand up for what is right as long as it is no skin off your own a$$? If so, you are more spineless than anyone who voted no to ALPA. I do not need the backing a union before I will do what is right.

Latest resources

Back