• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan ALPA Election Dates Set!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
First year pilots do not pay dues since they are on probation.

Ha ha.. I think you are assuming that the pay goes up significantly after that first year. You my friend would be wrong. Most 2nd year FO's at decent regionals make rates comparable to Colgan CAPTAINS. Ask a Colgan pilot how their 401k is doing. Or maybe how they enjoy fighting for every penny they earn that scheduling will not give up.

Colgan folks: don't buy into this same old song and dance that management is throwing out at us. It is the same line of B.S. as last year.

Vote YES so we can have a say in our future!

Ha ha.. I think you are assuming that the pay goes up significantly after that first year. You my friend would be wrong. Most 2nd year FO's at decent regionals make rates comparable to Colgan CAPTAINS. Ask a Colgan pilot how their 401k is doing. Or maybe how they enjoy fighting for every penny they earn that scheduling will not give up.

Colgan folks: don't buy into this same old song and dance that management is throwing out at us. It is the same line of B.S. as last year.

Vote YES so we can have a say in our future!

I don't know why you're taking a stab at the previous poster.. He's trying to help your cause..

Some numbnuts was talking about how bad off 1st year FO's are gonna be by paying the $200 union dues.. What the previous poster was saying is that numbnuts Wu is wrong.. As first year FO's pay zero dues..

Man, I hope you guys at Colgan get ALPA.. I'd hate to deal with the PCL driven management without them..

Why do you think management is going soo nuts over trying to convince everyone not to vote? They'd loooove to keep ALPA off the property..

I don't know why you're taking a stab at the previous poster.. He's trying to help your cause..

Didn't realize I was taking a stab at the poster, just a stab at the payrates / work rules. Anyway, I think we are all on the same page...

Vote ALPA!

Some numbnuts was talking about how bad off 1st year FO's are gonna be by paying the $200 union dues.. What the previous poster was saying is that numbnuts Wu is wrong.. As first year FO's pay zero dues..

Man, I hope you guys at Colgan get ALPA.. I'd hate to deal with the PCL driven management without them..

Why do you think management is going soo nuts over trying to convince everyone not to vote? They'd loooove to keep ALPA off the property..

Hey dummy, go back and read the full post. In case you're too dumb to understand it, I'll explain it to you. An initial interview with a lawyer will cost you $200, just to listen to your story. Anything extra will cost you more. Understand now, retard? When I and 5 others sat in the room in Washington in February 2007 as the initial contact group with ALPA, it was explained to us that F/O's on probation with the company do not pay dues. At the time I left Colgan, probation was 6 months. 2% of $20 per hour for 500 hours is...how much?

Last edited:
I want Colgan FO's to understand something....you can defend yourself in ANY situation...without ALPA.
Do you want to give your money away every paycheck? Or just when something goes awry?

2% every paycheck....or pay for a lawyer when the time comes.

W

Now that's funny.

Do you also have no medical, homeowner, or auto insurance and plan to pay cash up front if something happens?

Your grasp of the concept leads me to believe that you may be the actual W.

Before you vote, make sure you talk to current ALPA members. See how they truely feel about ALPA.

Ok I will BITE! Although I agree ALPA has its faults. I will gladly share my experiences with ALPA as a First Yr regional FO.

1. Alpa legal kept me from being fired for a Expunged record that I actually made them aware of on my application. The lady in charge of background checks was upset because she could not locate any information about the date. Why? Because all documents of the event have been destroyed except for one copy which is in a vault with the FDLE. The only reason she was even aware of the event was from my disclosure, the record is not even in the CJIS( Criminal Justice Information System) database kept by the FBI. For those of you who don't know it is illegal to even ask about information pertaining to Expunged events. After one call to the Alpa office I received my ID badge the following day and the employee in question was subject to disciplinary action. Where would I have been without ALPA?

2. Before I was off probation I broke my Tibia Plateau and several breaks in my Fibula. Alpa Medical both at my local and national level walked me through every step of the process.

A couple simple phone calls was all I made. I never had to worry about having my LTS claim denied because the local Medical chairman sat on the investigation board. He walked me through every step in the process so none of my benefits were delayed. Alpa medical in Colorado coached me through the right way to fill out my medical so I didn't have it suspended. I actually had this happen from a previous shoulder surgery and it took me 3 months to get it reinstated.

3. When the company announced the plans to furlough the MEC negotiated for 40 hour lines resulting in over 200 pilots not getting the boot.

4. After my furlough are local Furlough Committee
has set up preferential interviews with; Compass, Grand China Express, CapeAir and Mesaba. Thanks to them I landed a job in this difficult market and economy after having 3 class dates cancelled.

On a national level Alpa has gotten a free memberships for furloughed pilots to Air Inc and Fltops. Which allows you to brush up your resume, attend free job fairs, get some interview prep if needed, etc.

I am not hear to preach that Alpa is the end all be all! Your Alpa will only be as good as your local chapter and membership. However Alpa does offer I tremendous amount of resources. These very resources have saved my PRIA, tremendous head and stress aches while I was injured, and assisted me in getting a new job. All a fare deal for 388 dollars I paid out over a 9 month period.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions!!! I will gladly give you my number so you can pick my brain. I grew up in this industry and couldn't imagine working in it without representation.

Ryan

Now that's funny.

Do you also have no medical, homeowner, or auto insurance and plan to pay cash up front if something happens?

Your grasp of the concept leads me to believe that you may be the actual W.

In the past five years I've had...

Storm damage to my home 4 times

Storm damage to my vehicle 2 times

2 Emergency room visits

2 Auto accidents

ZERO FAA legal issues!

ZERO issues with company management.

So as you understand it...we should also pay for other legal protection during our every day life as well?

W

Latest resources

Back