Colgan Airlines stall recovery

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Cvr

The Safety guy at Colgan, Mr Morgan, wants to use a random sample of CVR data to monitor sterle cockpit.

I think the NTSB Chairman made it clear that is a bad idea.

The thing I can't believe is the media reporting that the NTSB says that icing was not a factor. Are you kidding me? Is the NTSB really saying this? Icing was obviously the BIGGEST factor in this accident. True, it was pilot error in letting the airspeed deteriorate, but if the airplane wasn't covered in ice it would have stalled at a much lower airspeed. Not to mention how distracted the crew was by the whole idea of ice being on the airplane.

Raise your hand if you've been taught by a Part 121 airline during the stall recovery section of simulator training to not lose altitude at all costs, no matter how long you keep it in the shaker, how much you ride the barber pole, and how close you get to a pusher.

"Don't let the nose drop!"

Yep.

Its negative training. I'm trained to perform a stall maneuver....Not recover from an inadvertent stall that I got myself into.

The thing I can't believe is the media reporting that the NTSB says that icing was not a factor. Are you kidding me? Is the NTSB really saying this? Icing was obviously the BIGGEST factor in this accident. True, it was pilot error in letting the airspeed deteriorate, but if the airplane wasn't covered in ice it would have stalled at a much lower airspeed. Not to mention how distracted the crew was by the whole idea of ice being on the airplane.

Uhhh no. Try again. The crew may have thought they had a tailplane stall but one look at the asi would have given them a clue.

Like 99% of other pilots out there, I dont stall airplanes, therefore not needing to see if my training department has taught me proper stall recovery.
No one stalls on PURPOSE! It's when a bunch of factors come into play, attention diverted (maybe a turn from base to final, eyes out, and speed drops while spoilers were out), adding the fact this is leg 6 of 6 and you're pushing a 14+ hr duty day.

The point is it can happen even to YOU, no matter how "good" a pilot you think you are. I'm utterly shocked and disappointed how QUICKLY idiots on this forum are willing to throw this crew under the bus and saying things like "I would have never done that" , instead of learning from the greater ramifications of the accident, and the factors all involved. $50 bucks says that the Colgan training program, stall profiles, and scheduling/fatigue will be blamed as the main, heavy factors in this accident.

I'm just not sure what there is to learn from this accident, really.

That the never ending quest to "never compromise savings" is burying this industry and people along with it.

The question is- will any true corrections be made from it?

That the never ending quest to "never compromise savings" is burying this industry and people along with it.

The question is- will any true corrections be made from it?

Nope. They lobbying from the ATA will be too powerful for the FAA to get off their as$ and do something. Same old, same old.

Everybody here is missing the real point. DONT STALL!!! Its really not that hard. Stall recovery profiles should NEVER be used on the line because you should NEVER unintentionally stall an aircraft...

Thank you!!!!!!

Latest resources

Back