• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan 3407 Down in Buffalo

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, the 1900 was the same way...Need us to go 210 to the marker and then be at Vapp/stabilized at 1000'/500', IMC/VMC...No problem...Props foward/configure on-speed...I sure do miss that airplane...

I

Last edited:
J31's did in fact have a yaw damper, it was just turned off for to's & lndgs making you think it had no yaw damper...

I rode on Corp express years ago into RDU and talked to a j31 capt about the yaw squirreliness (thinking it was mel'd) and found out they selected it off for to's & landings. (which was a norm for many a/c I learned.)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1C1CHMI_enUS311US312&q=jetstream+31+yaw+damper+?&btnG=Search

3 yrs in the J32...no yaw damper, at all.

I don't have noise canceling head sets, so I'm not a big fan of props to max. It scares the hell out of the passengers and annoys me greatly, but effective none the less.

You already can land at any point you can see out of the front windshield in the 400. Add any more drag to that thing to try to get down faster you might even be able to land at a runway behind you!

Sweet! Sounds like a good tool for a marginal pilot like me.

Forwarded Email

This is only a ‘HEADS-UP’ and has NOT been substantiated yet for truth or accuracy.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
There is a potentially significant hazard concerning the ILS to runway 23 in BUF.

Information has been received indicating it is possible to obtain a significant nose pitch up, in some cases as much as 30 degrees, if the glide slope is allowed to capture before established on centerline. Pilots who are preparing to configure and land have the potential to experience abrupt pitch up, slow airspeed, and approach to stall if conditions present themselves in a certain manner.

This effect is the result of an earthen obstruction close enough to the ILS to affect the integrity of the glide slope signal. This has resulted in the issuance of an advisory given on ATIS which states that "the ILS Glide Slope for runway 23 is unusable beyond 5 degrees right of course." When attempting to intercept the runway 23 ILS from right traffic, the ILS glide slope indication may read full deflection down. Just prior to intercept it may then move up in such as manner as to enable approach mode to capture in such a way as to result in a nose up pitch and loss of airspeed. Southwest Airlines has issued a notice reading: "Until further notice, when executing the KBUF ILS/LOC Runway 23, DO NOT select Approach Mode until established on the localizer inbound."

Seems like pretty significant NOTAM...maybe they should have taken that ILS out of service until the "earthen" obstruction was dealt with....or at least brought aircraft in from the appropriate side.

As best we know, Flt 3407 was not approaching from the affected side. They were making a LEFT turn in, not a right turn.

Latest resources

Back