• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan 3407 Down in Buffalo

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maybe because their JOB is to accurately report the news. In the past that was done by either educating themselves or finding someone who actually knows what they are talking about. Sad that you apologize
for people who make a mockery of their chosen profession.

Atrdriver,

Journalism is one of the few industries I know with a bleaker outlook than aviation. Massive staffing cutbacks as the papers slowly lose circulation. I was once a newspaper copy editor, and not long after I started taking flying lessons, I would get calls from reporters anytime aviation came up in a story, because I knew more about aviation than anyone else there. Local news/TV focus on their bread and butter: crime, local politics, sports. Even on the big networks, crashes are too infrequent to have someone on staff, (Miles O'Brien was an exception, until he was let go) so they bring in "experts" to speculate, and with no hard data, you often get some wacky theories.

The problem with most crashes is the lack of information. Video of the crash site is pretty much all you have. Cops/NTSB won't say much, so about all they can do is stick a mic in front of the looky-loos who want to be on TV. This forces the TV anchors (many of whom were never reporters) to fill the hours with their thoughts, and we all know how that goes.

I must say in this case I'm shocked at how fast the NTSB released FDR data, but it looks like it will focus attention on the most likely culprit - icing. It'll take many months to uncover all the particulars, but in the meantime, we all know to pay more attention when the weather goes south.

Breaking news is impossible to get right. too much misinformation. you need time to figure out what's really correct, and I think you'll find the media gets it right pretty quickly. Of course newspapers often do a better job. I can't watch cable news on stuff like this - it's too infuriating.

Just heard the tape from LiveATC. When Cactus 1452 checks in with tower over the marker, you can hear in his voice what they're seeing. Incredibly sad.

Godspeed to everyone involved.

Be safe out there.

“…an airline pilot may earn his entire yearly salary in just few minutes. At that moment he would gladly give up the entire amount for the privilege of being elsewhere.”

Ernest K. Gann

Sounds like the loss of control happened just after the final flaps setting. If so, the q400 quite aggressively pitches during the transition from 15 to 35 degrees...especially with the auto on. Also, the elevator buffets like crazy while configured at flaps 35. Neither of those scenarios makes me feel good when flying an inverted elevator in icing with the autopilot on.

So let me get this straight. The last three airline crashes with fatalities: Pinnacle, Comair, and now Colgan all had a crew member from Gulfstream Academy. I'm seeing a pattern.
The prospect of sharing my profession with this p.o.s. is more than I can deal with right now. I'm done.

Colgan 3407, godspeed.

Sounds like the loss of control happened just after the final flaps setting. If so, the q400 quite aggressively pitches during the transition from 15 to 35 degrees...especially with the auto on. Also, the elevator buffets like crazy while configured at flaps 35. Neither of those scenarios makes me feel good when flying an inverted elevator in icing with the autopilot on.

I think the NTSB said the loss of control happened after Flaps 15. I'd be worried like you with those large CP changes with a tail that by all accounts could use more surface area.

Would you asshats stop bickering about which news anchor you want to suck off more? Does it really matter in the slightest what CNN on MSNBC are saying? Everyone knows they're talking just to talk so let it go.

Real people with real lives that people here have a personal connection to just died, and you're complaining about which jerkoff news commentator is less accurate.

I'm really glad I fly freight single pilot so I don't have to worry about sitting next to one of you cornholers for days on end.

Latest resources

Back