• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan 3407 CVR Transcript

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is extremely sad. Safety is job number one.
Too bad the airlines that hire pilots don't feel the same way. It seems to me that filling the front seats at the cheapest cost is the trend. To quote my COO in a former recurrent ground school class: "you guys (pilots) are just another expense."
With that mentality by the people at the top, you're going to get what you pay for in the long run. Can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want to go cheap, you're going to compromise safety. That's a fact.

Last edited:
wow, it's humbling to read someone's thoughts and words right before they die.... Lord have mercy on their souls.

one question: does the checklist call for flaps up before the gear in the Q..isn't that what they did, and didn't the girl do it without the call from the capt?

Yes, at PDT on our Dash's we call for ToGo Power and then flaps to 5 degrees. Once a postive rate is established then the Gear is called up. Out of 1000' agl the 5 degree is retracted.

Once they got the stick shaker it seems like they kind of just sat there. She said flaps are 5 or something but thats it. Its like they just stared at the ground.

Overall a very sad deal indeed. However several things come to mind as far as the FAA and NTSB may look into more in depth.

Overall experience level of both pilots and will they increase standards. Which in my opinion they should. That being said you can bet Colgan's Training and Standards Department will be on the chopping block (maybe the whole company).

It has been a focus now of several individuals and aviation safety action groups to investigate these pilot factories and PFT airlines. And they should.

Unfortunately several people died because of a lack of experience and that is the bottom line.

22:11:39.9

HOT-2
that's not much for uh back when you got hired.
22:11:42.5

HOT-1
no but uh out of that six and a quarter two hundred fifty hours was uh part
one twenty one turbine. multi engine turbine.
22:11:50.0

HOT-2
oh that's right yeah.

From him talking about flying in Florida to this quote....it looks like the Capt. was a former Gulfstream dude. This isn't going to be pretty.....

Yes, at PDT on our Dash's we call for ToGo Power and then flaps to 5 degrees. Once a postive rate is established then the Gear is called up. Out of 1000' agl the 5 degree is retracted.

So with the stall warning still activated you retract the flaps?

So with the stall warning still activated you retract the flaps?

In some airplanes, yep? I haven't flown the dash of any series... I wonder if Colgan trains approaches to stall only, where maybe getting rid of flaps will reduce the drag more than the lift and allow the plane to accelerate in a more timely manner. Any Q drivers could speak up.

Most of the planes I've flown you leave the configuration alone until the stall event is over, then clean it up.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back