Colgan 3407 CVR Transcript

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That is not where it spoke to me.
It leaves me asking how can someone get into any seat in a turboprop, and *NOT* know what a chip detect was?

Then in this case you've got your priorities extremely out of order.

The captain knew what a chip detector was. Obviously. He explained it to her. But what good does that do when you forget that airspeed = good?

Last edited:
Then in this case you've got your priorities extremely out of order.

The captain knew what a chip detector was. Obviously. He explained it to her. But what good does that do when you forget that airspeed = good?

??? I don't think they were talking about a chip detector going off on this particular flight. It just came up in conversation. The fact still remains the pilot got through training, and at least one checkride and oral, and did not know what a chip detector was. (?)_

That is not where it spoke to me.
It leaves me asking how can someone get into any seat in a turboprop, and *NOT* know what a chip detect was?

To her credit it was the first turbine airplane she had flown and there is no "CHIP DETECT" light in the Q400. It is a FADEC airplane, where you might get a POWERPLANT message and the computer would flame out the engine more than likely. This is a Dash 8, but a vastly different Dash 8 and the same type is a little of a stretch.

??? I don't think they were talking about a chip detector going off on this particular flight. It just came up in conversation. The fact still remains the pilot got through training, and at least one checkride and oral, and did not know what a chip detector was. (?)_

And I'm telling you that it is irrelevant because she didn't crash the airplane.

Having said that, I see your point. I always did. Just don't think it's got anything to do with basic aerodynamic fundamentals (the cause of the accident).

My underwear has a chip detector.

It'll probably go off soon.....it's been about 5 days...

Q400 stall recovery:

First indication of stall (stick shaker):
-lower nose
Positive Rate (increase in airspeed):
-gear up
Vfri (flap retraction speed):
-flaps up, the only time you touch the flaps prior
to Vfri is if you have flaps 35 then you retract
to flaps 15 otherwise flap 15 is left until
acceleration to Vfri.

That sounds like the TP procedures I remember.

To recap: The captain takes about 26 seconds at FI, or at a very reduced power setting, to set up the stall. The speed he was decelerating to was not briefed.

Stick shaker was not reponded to. He had more than his experience (including all training) could handle. He fought the pusher.

The FO raised the flaps with being commanded. Want do you think this did to the CAs workload? To the stall speed? Answer: Both increased.

Solution: More experienced personnel, at least in the left seat, and more/better training for all. Another tragedy that could have been avoided.

That sounds like the TP procedures I remember.

To recap: The captain takes about 26 seconds at FI, or at a very reduced power setting, to set up the stall. The speed he was decelerating to was not briefed.

Stick shaker was not reponded to. He had more than his experience (including all training) could handle. He fought the pusher.

The FO raised the flaps with being commanded. Want do you think this did to the CAs workload? To the stall speed? Answer: Both increased.

Solution: More experienced personnel, at least in the left seat, and more/better training for all. Another tragedy that could have been avoided.

Is it at all concerning that this particular CA had failed 5 checkrides, including a couple at Colgan? No one is immune from failing a checkride or two. But I'm not gonna lie 5 seems like a bit much.

Latest resources

Back