Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
B

bluffs4U

One of the most annoying pilots are the cocky and Know-It-All Ones. I wonder if Lrjtcaptain knows anyone besides himself that fits this description? If I ever have one as an F.O., I tell them to "turn it off" until the "After Shutdown Checklist" and I leave the airplane.

Last edited:
bluffs4U I'm with you concerning the self appointed master's of atmosphere. Givem enough rope and they hang themselves always. If you desire the quick effect try this. Usually Mr. Genius treats the MX guys like crap so they will assist. Ask for a little bearing grease and lube Mr. Genius's harness. He will cry like a baby. Tell him-"Dang, mine's OK it's wise to check for crap up here, there's always garbage floating around. Half eaten Pimento Cheese sandwich, Tootsie Rolls, mummified insects, crap that missed the trash bag 5 years ago."

Last edited:
The other day I was going to fly a trip with a low time private pilot (SE x-c flight). The day before the trip we hit up a bar to grab a couple beers (I had never met the guy so I figured he likes beer - good start).

Anyway, when we sit down the first thing he says to the bartender is "I have to fly a trip tomorrow so I better not drink too much".

Then I knew I was in for a long trip, and it was.

I have found that cocky pilots are usually very weak in a certain area either systems, performance, wt. and bal., company manuals or stick and rudder skills. I enjoy finding the weakness and making them realize they have not achieved "Bob Hoover" status. They usually back down off the horse for a few hours anyway.

Here's another interesting point. They are almost always at the regional level. Having jumped with many mainline crews you just don't see the attitudes at that level even when The Captain has 20,000 hours in the aircraft flown. However, ride with a certain former Saab Captain who had a few hundred hours in the A/C, and you just want to smack him and say you really don't have a clue. Keep in mind, you learn something new every day and I will never hold a candle to Bob or Chuck.

If they spent half of their 'braggin energy' on learning the stuff they claim to know, they'd probably be almost as good as they think they are.

The sim is an effective tool to crush the fragile ego of these folks.

Muhahahahahaha!

I agree, cocky pilots don't make it, they get weeded out!

Not so. I am Mr. Super Awesome Perfect Man and I have not been weeded out. Sounds like jealousy to me.

OK it's flamebait.....

A cocky pilot... no?

Well, I think that if you need to find the best pilots in the world just walk around the university campus sometime at SIU and you will find dozens, just ask them. I know exactly where you come from, however, in their defense I would rather have a pilot that is slightly on the cocky side than one without confidence at all. I know this is from the training aspect of it, in the airlines I cannot comment. Pilots are generally ego-centric, but I find the best way to deal with them is to kill them with kindness. They will make a mistake eventually and when they realize what they did it will hurt five times more. And generally there is nothing more humbling when your instructor that is 2 or 3 years younger than you smiling from the right seat reminding you of simple procedures you forgot.

Oh, and a comment for Bluffs4U, in your little signature profile to the left it says..
"ATP of course" isn't that a bit cocky in itself?? Like of course you hold an ATP your all holliness!

Latest resources

Back