• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Co-pilot opportunities- Mass

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not flamebait, helping someone out, don't always judge a book by it's cover. Thanks for all the helpful replies.
If this is a legitimate post, and you are truly trying to help someone out..you need to listen to what others have already posted and tell your friend to hang it up. Call it a career. They have had their run. Time to step aside and let others try to provide for their family. I pledge to do the same when my time comes, and am saving $ accordingly.
Tell them Fly for fun perhaps..you can get one HECK of a deal on a used airplane in this market. That way they can 'stay involved' in aviation. Seriously, I have all the respect in the world for my elders; the wisdom they possess, etc. Say what you want about the baby boomers (i've heard the term "The Greediest Generation").. my respect endures-it's just the way I was raised. This is why it pained me to see this very "can't let it go" mentality at NJA before I was furloughed. I flew with MANY types that fit your friend's description -as old or older- and I was honestly embarrassed for them. They would forget to check in on almost every frequency handoff, make callouts that may have been SOP like 10yrs prior, but not current, and displayed airmanship that was borderline incompetent (in some cases grossly incompetent). Somehow FSI kept passing them on PCs..not sure why.

Try to help your friend along in the decision to avoid being one of those people and get another hobby and simply enjoy retirement. If your experience profile is accurate, I'd assume you're just trying to make it and provide a living in this industry for yourself like the rest of us.

My $.02

If this is a legitimate post, and you are truly trying to help someone out..you need to listen to what others have already posted and tell your friend to hang it up. Call it a career. They have had their run. Time to step aside and let others try to provide for their family. I pledge to do the same when my time comes, and am saving $ accordingly.
Tell them Fly for fun perhaps..you can get one HECK of a deal on a used airplane in this market. That way they can 'stay involved' in aviation. Seriously, I have all the respect in the world for my elders; the wisdom they possess, etc. Say what you want about the baby boomers (i've heard the term "The Greediest Generation").. my respect endures-it's just the way I was raised. This is why it pained me to see this very "can't let it go" mentality at NJA before I was furloughed. I flew with MANY types that fit your friend's description -as old or older- and I was honestly embarrassed for them. They would forget to check in on almost every frequency handoff, make callouts that may have been SOP like 10yrs prior, but not current, and displayed airmanship that was borderline incompetent (in some cases grossly incompetent). Somehow FSI kept passing them on PCs..not sure why.

Try to help your friend along in the decision to avoid being one of those people and get another hobby and simply enjoy retirement. If your experience profile is accurate, I'd assume you're just trying to make it and provide a living in this industry for yourself like the rest of us.

My $.02

So YOU decide when someone should stop flying?

Believe me, I surely hope I am not banging around in a corporate jet when I am 66yrs old, but for some it might still be their dream. Not my business.

These guys dont take jobs from anyone. Its a free market. If one is long term unemployed or underemployed there is usually a reason....and its not old guys undercutting them.

We have all flown with worthless people, age does not matter. I for one fly with a 67yr old guy who is retiring soon....and I will have a hard time replacing him. I dont want the out of work lowball guy (they come young and old) I want a highly qualified guy, so I will most likely have to hire someone away from a decent job, and that requires a decent package. I can pretty much guarantee you I wont hire an unemployed guy, unless the timing was just perfect.

I would rather be in the "Greedy" Generation as opposed to the "whiny entitled" Generation.

Last edited:
^^^
Agreed, but, lets put it to a vote

Q. 65 years old, retired airline pilot who does not have another hobby besides flying when others tell him to?

A. Loser? or Winner?

Or, scenario 2.

Q. 65 year old retired airline pilot that has not saved enough to support himself with the money from his pension / 401K / IRA's/ and SSI or Walmart Greeter Job.

A. Loser? or Winner?

Q. A 65 year old retired airline pilot who would possibly work for less than prevailing wages (hence the no reasonable offer refused quote), at what could otherwise be an entry level job for someone in the earlier stages of his or her career?

A. Loser? or Winner?

Please tally your score and post it here.

Don't get me wrong... This is not about his age. Bob Hoover was a better pilot at 70 than I will ever be.

I equate this to hiring someone who has already won the Powerball Lottery, forgot what bank he deposited the check in, and now wants to someone else to pay for his hobby.
What was his attitude about scope when he was at the airline?? I bet he wasn't thrilled with the idea of some regional pilot "taking his flying.":rolleyes: Now he will turn around and do the same thing to some poor contract pilot or entry level corporate pilot.

It's a free country. I get it (and I paid for it). But it is hard for me to muster up a bunch of compassion for this type. I will reserve it for the pilot struggling to get a break, or the guy trying to keep his house from forclosure because his last flight department closed. That's just me.

Last edited:
Not flamebait, helping someone out, don't always judge a book by it's cover. Thanks for all the helpful replies.

That interview with his major he's promised you is worth excatly what you're paying for it...
Why don't you help him by explaining what the "no reasonable offer refused" sounds like to others. In a word, "unprofessional."

I just can't believe how far this country fell in such a short time. What a bunch of cry babies. If he wants to work for cheap, he can work for cheap. It isn't up to you to determine who can make what and when.

Latest resources

Back