• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CO 737 off runway in DEN

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Are ya'll really this certain that it was some sort of pilot error?

Does not matter if it was his fault, or a result of anything wrong in the cockpit. Fact is; rightfully so, we see situations that have arisen in everyday line ops on next years sims.

Merry Christmas, got to go put tags on stuff.

Know the Captain, used to be my copilot. My guess is strong crosswind, plane weathervaned, lost control and noise and rattling were runway lights being taken out prior to going into the ravine. Hope thats not the case but..... They just finished a long 4 day trip and this was their last leg. Hopefully I am wrong!

I think there's a strong possibility that you don't have any idea what you're talking about.

Last edited:
rattling were runway lights being taken out prior to going into the ravine.

Interesting theory. I'm sure the NTSB will consider it.

Are ya'll really this certain that it was some sort of pilot error?

Doesn't matter what it really is. Aircraft accidents are like hitting someone from behind in your car - it doesn't matter how much it was someone else's fault -- it's your fault.

PIPE

USAir flight 5050
The crew reported that the aircraft began to drift during the takeoff roll which the first officer attempted to counteract with rudder inputs. The aircraft continued to drift and the captain attempted to assist by using the nosewheel steering tiller. The crew then reported hearing a bang followed by continued rumbling. At this point, the abort decision was made. The aircraft had accelerated to nearly 140kts however, and due to the wet conditions of the runway, could not be stopped in time.
Investigators believed the rumbling sound to have been the nose wheel turning and then sliding down the runway. Recovery of the FDR showed that the rudder trim had been left in the full left deflection position throughout the takeoff. in fact, it had been in that position since the aircraft was started at the gate. This would normally be an item on the pre-takeoff checklist and recovery of the CVR indicated that the crew had checked the rudder trim during the checklist.

USAir flight 5050
The crew reported that the aircraft began to drift during the takeoff roll which the first officer attempted to counteract with rudder inputs. The aircraft continued to drift and the captain attempted to assist by using the nosewheel steering tiller. The crew then reported hearing a bang followed by continued rumbling. At this point, the abort decision was made. The aircraft had accelerated to nearly 140kts however, and due to the wet conditions of the runway, could not be stopped in time.
Investigators believed the rumbling sound to have been the nose wheel turning and then sliding down the runway. Recovery of the FDR showed that the rudder trim had been left in the full left deflection position throughout the takeoff. in fact, it had been in that position since the aircraft was started at the gate. This would normally be an item on the pre-takeoff checklist and recovery of the CVR indicated that the crew had checked the rudder trim during the checklist.

Wasn't there a follow-up that indicated that the crew did properly perform all checklists, but a jumpseater inadvertantly moved the trim w/his feet?

rattling is a repetitive noise with a somewhat regular frequency. The most obvious sources (no big stretch of the imagination here) for a repetitive noise while on the ground are the landing gear/brakes system and the engine. Since both systems have revolving parts, any malfunction could easily lead to an audible rhythmic imbalance. Both systems also seem likely culprits given the loss of directional control. I would think blown tires or locked brakes (malfunctioning anti-skid) should leave very obvious physical evidence that would have been reported so far. Pieces of tire or skid marks that began while motion was in line with the runway centerline would have been easily noted and likely mentioned in early investigation statements.

I am not familiar with the 7373, but one other rattling item that could lead a pilot to abort a takeoff would be an unexpected activation of a stick shaker. Those of you who know the 737 stall protections can mor readily verify or deny the likelihood of this explanation...I have no idea what it would sound like. but, if it is possible, then it may be a sign that crazy winds were at play, which triggered the system on the ground and made directional control difficult. Or perhaps a spurious activation just plain caught the crew off-guard and led to an abort under difficult conditions. Any thoughts? No disrespect intended or implied...I am glad everyone made it out with their lives.

Interesting point about the stick shakers......

Its looking more and more like a poorly executed abort. Stay safe out there and be a good wingman.

And you determine this from what????

You are a DORK......

(wish i could post what i really want to say about your accident investigation here) :puke:

Latest resources

Back