CO 737 off runway in DEN

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rudder hardover

Can anyone intelligently fill me in on the status of the 737 rudder uncommanded hard-over problem of a few years ago.

I have never really seen much on it after the increased minimum flap speeds were suggested back then.

Thanx,

Please delete post, you are making me sick every time I read it .

Honestly, trolls simply wouldn't exist without people who can actually be upset by things that they read on the interwebs.

Go here, make it look like this.

Can anyone intelligently fill me in on the status of the 737 rudder uncommanded hard-over problem of a few years ago.

I have never really seen much on it after the increased minimum flap speeds were suggested back then.

Thanx,

Good question, I didn't even think about it. I don't have any knowledge on the rudder issue but I'd also be interested in hearing from someone who does.

Below is a comment made by one of you experts.
Moron. Morons. All of them. STFU.
Scary, if that imbecile really does teach students to fly. Another 20 years and I won't fly as a pax anymore.

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=106332&catid=339
cheifpilot wrote:
Ok this is rare for me to comment but, to all the other Pilots out there. After V1 you continue!!!!!!!!!!!! hopefully you will get to V2 and then rotate. Stoping after passing V1 (the decision speed for all non pilots) is sure to end in a major accident. Yes I teach Pilots to fly and I would have my students ass, if they reject or attempt to reject take-off after V1. I dont care if the engine falls off, you still continue. Even if both powerplants fail you still attempt the take off and put it down somewhere you determine safe within the "captian" breifing prior to take off roll.
12/21/2008 10:24 AM PST on 9news.com

Anybody besides "cheifpilot" who rotates at V2? I suspect he hasn't a clue what V2 is about.

I'm not sure why you guys get worked up about what some idiot posts on a TV news website. Chiefpilot might be my 96 year old grandma, for all I know.

The facts will be presented when the investigation is complete.

In the mean time, be grateful that no one was killed.

As far as the 737 rudder PCU, I believe that Boeing redesigned it, and it is no longer an issue. I'm not positive about this, though.

Merry Christmas!!!!

I'm not sure why you guys get worked up about what some idiot posts on a TV news website. Chiefpilot might be my 96 year old grandma, for all I know.

Here are the facts:

We're all losers with nothing better to do. :0

Didn't you know? ...pilots are know-it-all egomaniacs who think they're better than those who don't fly. It's the funniest sheet, I tell ya wut.

rattling is a repetitive noise with a somewhat regular frequency. The most obvious sources (no big stretch of the imagination here) for a repetitive noise while on the ground are the landing gear/brakes system and the engine. Since both systems have revolving parts, any malfunction could easily lead to an audible rhythmic imbalance. Both systems also seem likely culprits given the loss of directional control. I would think blown tires or locked brakes (malfunctioning anti-skid) should leave very obvious physical evidence that would have been reported so far. Pieces of tire or skid marks that began while motion was in line with the runway centerline would have been easily noted and likely mentioned in early investigation statements.

I am not familiar with the 7373, but one other rattling item that could lead a pilot to abort a takeoff would be an unexpected activation of a stick shaker. Those of you who know the 737 stall protections can mor readily verify or deny the likelihood of this explanation...I have no idea what it would sound like. but, if it is possible, then it may be a sign that crazy winds were at play, which triggered the system on the ground and made directional control difficult. Or perhaps a spurious activation just plain caught the crew off-guard and led to an abort under difficult conditions. Any thoughts? No disrespect intended or implied...I am glad everyone made it out with their lives.

Latest resources

Back